Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 pm 

I was considering getting a GTX trigger for my Crosman Phantom and Quest, but it's hard to justify the cost at nearly half of the gun's value.

Since I had some free time today. I took the Phantom apart to examine the trigger mechanism (did the same with the Quest). It seems that most of the hard trigger pull is attributed to the trigger-reset spring. I removed this spring and the trigger and my accuracy improved dramatically.

To remove this spring:

1) Remove the stock
2) Remove the E-clip on the trigger rivet and tap it out (a round cylindrical piece might fall out, don't lose it)
3) The only spring attached to the trigger is the resetting spring (this is the one you want to remove: "V" shaped with a slight bend on the longer arm)
4) Tap out the small rivet holding the spring, remove the spring, reinsert the rivet
5) Reassemble the trigger (with the cylindrical piece in its original position)
6) Reassemble the stock

The trigger will be super light now. The trigger will still reset due to another spring in the trigger group; the trigger-reset spring being removed is a redundant piece and adds tremendously to the pull weight.

I did the functions check after the mod. Safety still works like before. After aiming in a safe direction, I "bumped" the stock to see if it would accidentally discharge. It passed that test. Keep in mind that the sear was not altered in any way, so it should not increase the chances of an accidental discharge. However, you have to be careful and make sure you're aiming at a safe direction before touching the trigger since it's significantly lighter.

After successfully modding my Phantom, I did the same with my Quest. 8)

I don't think I'll be getting the GTX trigger since I do not want it to be any lighter.

Pics of the trigger reset springs below (The top one was from my Quest, which had the older(?) stamped metal hollow trigger and the bottom was from my Phantom, which had a solid metal trigger)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:15 am 

Interesting.

When you install the GTX trigger, you don't use that spring either. Although I notice the GTX contacts the sear differently than the OEM trigger.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 pm 

What the GTX trigger does is take out most of the preload in the "pull" (in addition to not having the trigger-reset spring I described). It does so through the use of those set screws that keep the trigger from fully resetting forward after every shot.

As a result, the sear contacts are much closer to "slipping" than normal. It's essentially a hair-trigger, releasing the sear with minimal force and travel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 am 

And I love it! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

i took that spring out of my quest 500 and never looked back. great improvment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:03 pm 

hacker wrote:
i took that spring out of my quest 500 and never looked back. great improvment.

Yup, I love my Quest and Phantom now. Been shooting them the entire day today... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:11 pm 

Did the mod...... so nice now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:36 am 

TriggerHappy,

Just did the deed on my 2 rifles and it worked like a charm. No need for an expensive trigger replacement.

Thanks for the tip.

Acky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm 

Just did this...took less than five minutes start to finish. Noticeable improvement.

Thanks!

Al

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 pm 

No problem guys. I've learned so much from this forum and I'm more than happy to share any knowledge that may be useful to our hobby. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:53 am 
Supporting Member 2009

I think the point is being missed with the GTX trigger- it is adjustable so the pull can be customized for a person's particular preference and changed if/when that preference may change. Removing the spring and nothing else you have two possible settings (stock setting with the spring, and single modified setting without the spring).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:52 pm 

$38.99 for trigger or remove spring for free. Hmmm Spring!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 am 

Both stages on trigger can be retained; yet adjusted to taste by swapping the Trigger adjust screw to a longer one.
One can ofcourse ... or use a file ..carefully .
There is also a way to adjust the 2nd stage by inserting a couple of washers on the rear pin in the trigger; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bBlS8adRTM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
Both stages on trigger can be retained; yet adjusted to taste by swapping the Trigger adjust screw to a longer one.
One can ofcourse ... or use a file ..carefully .
There is also a way to adjust the 2nd stage by inserting a couple of washers on the rear pin in the trigger; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bBlS8adRTM

Unless you know how the trigger group works I would stay away from this mod. It CAN make your airgun unsafe and discharge unexpectedly. If one must attempt it do not use anything over 8mm OD and even that preloads the mid lever scary close to allowing the sear to drop.

If this mod is attempted please do not put your finger anywhere near the trigger until you are ready to fire in a safe direction. This is a hair trigger mod and nothing else.

Now that the safety lecture is over, I have done this mod on both my Optimus and Classic 22 with very desirable results. I used a 5mm nut, drilled out the center to 5mm and turned the hex down so that it was round. I had to file the width down to about 3mm.

Note: if you decide to attempt this mod, when project is completed, cock and load the gun; point in a safe direction and test the safety. Then test if any jarring of the rifle will fire it off prematurely.

Edit: I am still going to purchase the gtx trigger because there is still no adjustment with the stock trigger.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 pm 

Just took the spring from my Optimus, much better, thanks. Ya, had a hard time justifying spending $40 on a trigger for a gun I paid $70 for. Oh by the way, this was my first airgun mod!