Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: extended probe
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:58 pm 

As a relative newcomer to the world of air gun mods, I keep seeing references to "extended probes" as a common upgrade. Can someone school me on the advantage of this modification? Is is simply a longer probe that pushes the pellet a bit further up the breech? How does that affect performance?
Thanks
John D.

Post subject: Re: extended probe
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:47 pm 

I think this extended probe mod usually related to Crosman?

I did one on my 2240 and didn't see anything similar for my other guns... I am new to this deep sea and lack of some general knowledge too...

It's doing exactly what you mentioned above. And as the info I got when I doing it, seating the pellet deeper also help making it leave the transfer port slightly a little bit more distance which helps the air flow working better when it blow up from the TP and pushing the pellet out...

Honestly speaking, I didn't see any difference before and after... :eek:

What's the gun you want to put the entended probe on?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:54 pm 

here is a pretty good read on it
https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-f ... 741.0.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 am 

Basically what happens, some deeper skirted pellets will partially cover the transfer port. Longer probe can cure that. Or if you look at some of the older crosman guns, they used a ported bolt probe, or a flow through bolt. Usually my go to when I'm doing a build. With the ported bolt, you can set every projectile to the same depth. There's also no probe obstructing the air flow.

Rsterne probably has some really good write ups on the subject. I remember something about retractable probes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:39 pm 

I have a flow through bolt coming from the US for my 2240xl, but I was wondering about the effects of the extended probe. As to whether or not they are effective on other makes, I do not know. I am open to suggestions for this on my Artimis M11 35cal and Crosman Nitro 22 cal. I figure it never hurts to look around and see what is available, what works, why, and what doesn't work, and why.
So thanks all for the clarification on what the probe actually does.
JD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:22 pm 

Ace wrote:

Wow! Thanks for that link, it was VERY informative, and I read all 11 pages of it. The original poster's testing of the 5 different probes was pretty enlightening, but so were some of the ideas that came out of it.
JD