Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:12 am 

Good morning
I have inherited my father's early 60's Crosman Mark 1 .22 Cal air pistol. I have purchased a Leapers UTG barrel mount kit to mount a Baldr green dot laser. Due to the taper of the barrel, the laser is not level with the barrel. I can sight it in to a certain yardage but outside or inside that yardage, the laser does not work accurately. I am thinking I need some kind of wedge to slip under the mount to align the laser with the barrel. Any ideas? Thanks very much for any assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 pm 

You can buy dovetail and Picatinny/weaver style rails and scope bases from Amazon. Depending on what you're willing to do .. you could take one of these and file a groove into it so it fits the barrel.
Not sure how your laser gets mounted, but it could work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:48 pm 
Site Moderator

Many years ago there was a nice mount that was used on the Mk1 pistols for red dots. Unfortunately I don't think the SoLow mount is available anymore.

You might be able to use the UTG barrel clamp if you make a wedge from epoxy putty. Use paste wax on the barrel so the putty won't stick. Also wax the mount screws. Rub on a couple of coats and let it dry between. Then mix the putty and create your wedges for the top and lower clamp surfaces (more putty on front end of clamps to make a wedge). Put the putty inside the clamps and turn the rear screws snug. Only tighten the front screws enough to get the mount as level as possible. Remove excess putty that squeezes out with a pocket knife. Don't use so much putty that it squeezes between the screw surfaces and locks everything together. You can still remove soft putty with a small blade or probe if it gets where you don't want it. Once the putty is dry you should be able to remove the mount and sand off any little bits of excess putty that squeezed out the front and back. Use a black marker to colour the edges of the putty so it's not noticeable. If you mess up the wedge angle you can rough up the cured putty surface again and use a tiny bit more putty for a second attempt (use wax too). Please post pics of your finished product.

You can get epoxy putty at CanTire and Home Depot. Maybe even Walmart.

Attachments:
solow2.jpg
solow2.jpg [ 87.84 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]
solow.jpg
solow.jpg [ 93.31 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 am 
Site Moderator

The red in the pic is the epoxy. I'm terrible at art but I hope this helps.

Attachments:
utgMNT_BR002S_PRO_1__24745.1473892895.jpg
utgMNT_BR002S_PRO_1__24745.1473892895.jpg [ 104.04 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 am 
Supporting Members

https://www.amazon.com/360-Tactical-Uni ... B097LRPQ35

Something like this........mount it just ahead of the loading port........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Moderator

notec wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/360-Tactical-Universal-Adapter-Converter/dp/B097LRPQ35

Something like this........mount it just ahead of the loading port........

Nice! I saw that one when surfing. That mount should work fine for red dots on top of the Mk1 receiver. The OP didn't state if he wanted to still be able to use the iron sights. He might be planning to have the red dot hanging under the barrel so he can use in conjunction with the irons. He'll need to figure out how he wants it done.

This looks like the same thing but shipping from China to Canada. AliExpress would likely have it too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Trirock-Picatinny ... 16&sr=8-34

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 pm 

Or drill/tap and mount a base to it... the mounting radius is a standard size and it's not expensive. IIRC, it has to be shortened some.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:13 pm 

Thank you for the suggestions all. I like the idea of the epoxy in the picture because that is the mount I have. I am trying to hang it under the barrel so I can still use the iron sights. How did you determine how much epoxy to put in and how did you get it to stay in place

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:29 pm 
Site Moderator

Kampinguru wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions all. I like the idea of the epoxy in the picture because that is the mount I have. I am trying to hang it under the barrel so I can still use the iron sights. How did you determine how much epoxy to put in and how did you get it to stay in place

Use epoxy PUTTY and it won't drip or run. You can get it at CanTire, Home Depot or many other stores. You mix together the 2 parts and the product is like Plasticine or clay. Flatten out a piece and stick it on the clamp surfaces. Don't use too much. Put the clamp on the barrel and tighten the screws. Make sure the clamp is in the right position. Make sure the rail is level with receiver. The excess epoxy will squeeze out as you tighten. Carefully cut away the excess. It sets in 5 minutes so you don't have a lot of time (cures in 1 hr). Here is an example of the epoxy.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b- ... 3821p.html

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm ... 3766p.html

Make sure to use some Johnson's paste wax as a release agent on the parts that you do not want glued together. You only want the epoxy to stick to the insides of the clamps. Use wax on the barrel, clamps screws and the area that is not red in the above pic. Two coats of wax are best but let it dry between coats and after the second coat. If you don't use the wax you will never get the clamp mount off.