Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Time for a bigger lathe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:06 am 

Hey guys,
the time has come. I've had a 7x12 lathe from busy bee for a while now. I know... I was told, I'd regret buying a tiny lathe... But in all honesty I learned a lot. And had I been learning these things on a bigger lathe I could have catastrophic failures or injuries... So I guess I didn't really lose out on much. Anyway it works really good for making small parts. I like it. As temperamental as it is.

Anyway. I don't know where else to look. But, any insight on this?
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/1 ... x709x.html

I can't see needing a spindle bore over 1.5"... Who knows :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 am 
Supporting Members

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/l ... cx615.html

Why not go with a lathe/mill combo. Gives you more freedom to make whatever you want

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 am 

Hi Killer.
That looks like a great lathe. My larger Moody lathe has 1" through the headstock. It works fine for 99% of the powder burner barrel work I do. It has a 4' bed and I can swing a 26" barrel between centres.
The only drawback I see on your proposed lathe is the bed length and the resultant available distance between centers. If it comes in a longer bed length, and you can afford it, you might want to consider it. Besides the extra expense, the longer bed length will make for a larger and heavier unit, which may be a consideration for available shop space or location. (Does it have to go down a basement?)
I wish my lathe had 1.5" bore.
Don't sell your mini-lathe! I also have a smaller South Bend 9A with a short 36" bed, .750" bore, and 18" between centres. I use it a fair amount. It's useful when I have work set up in my big lathe, but need to make a small part. I also use the power feeds on the Southie for milling with a Palmgren milling attachment.

With your obvious machining skills, a catastrophic failure is highly unlikely. With a larger lathe failures usually result in broken tool bits. Please don't ask me how I know this.

Rick.

Edit: the advert doesn't mention what tooling/accessories are included in the price. Chucks for a lathe this size are not cheap.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:33 am 

ricksplace wrote:
the advert doesn't mention what tooling/accessories are included in the price. Chucks for a lathe this size are not cheap.

What you see is what you get. If starting from scratch not cheap would be a bit of an understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am 

It would make more sense to have a longer bed. Ill eventually want to learn actual gun smithing, so that would probably come in pretty handy.

I like the idea of a lathe mill combo. Do they make them with a longer bed though? Probably pricey. Think Ill definitely look at the used market for something.

I won't have to pack it into the basement. Just have a small attached front garage. But space is pretty limited. I'm sure I can manage though :lol: move some things around, make room.

Will see what happens I guess!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 am 

If you can afford that lathe and additional tooling that will work great
I am not a fan of combo machines so would encourage you to stay away from them. They don’t do any job well imo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 pm 

I'm jealous of all of you. Last time I used a lathe, it was in shops class in grade 8 or 9.

Don't want to say it, but that was almost 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm 

Bite the bullet and buy one! Worthy investment :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:34 pm 

I have this one: https://www.kingcanada.com/en/products/ ... etal-lathe

Comes with lots of accessories and pretty decent for the price, but needed a few (easy) improvements. Runs on 110V, 1'' spindle bore, a true 24'' between centers, comes with both a 5'' 3-jaw chuck and a 6 1/4'' 4-jaws adjustable chuck. You may want to add the optionnal quick-change tool post, very nice to have. Can be used with a small milling attachment with easy mods.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:43 pm 

airmec wrote:
I have this one: https://www.kingcanada.com/en/products/ ... etal-lathe

Comes with lots of accessories and pretty decent for the price, but needed a few (easy) improvements. Runs on 110V, 1'' spindle bore, a true 24'' between centers, comes with both a 5'' 3-jaw chuck and a 6 1/4'' 4-jaws adjustable chuck. You may want to add the optionnal quick-change tool post, very nice to have. Can be used with a small milling attachment with easy mods.

That would be a very nice lathe!
Only negative is the 1” spindle bore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 pm 
Site Moderator

BB1Shooter wrote:
I'm jealous of all of you. Last time I used a lathe, it was in shops class in grade 8 or 9.

Don't want to say it, but that was almost 50 years ago.

LOL... me too. Grade 9 & 10 tech class was 43 years ago. I think my folks still have the ball peen hammer and the salt & pepper shakers that I made back then. Lots of fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 pm 

Very nice indeed.
Yes I'm finding most things I'd like to build lately would be at least 1" diameter.
I'll find the right tool. Not going to rush this one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm 
Supporting Members

I see better ones come up used on Kijijji and Facebook all the time. You might want to entertain that.......this mill just sold for 1200$ near me.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... l%7D%22%7D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 pm 

I learned a very little knowledge on how to use the lathe in my job from my nice workmates... In the school class in university, I learned how to use only a file and a table clamp to make a nut from a piece of metal block... :eek:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:57 pm 

I took a heavy equipment mechanic pre apprenticeship course, one of the first things we did was make the crow foot gear puller using only hand tools and a drill. Files and hacksaw :lol: you'd be surprised what you can do when you put your mind to it.