Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 am 

My very first time playing with a sand blaster was today!
Pretty exciting. Found out a friend of mine has one.
It's a princess auto 5 gal pig blaster.
Not sure what else to call it... my last career as an underground miner, we would load the explosives (amex/anfo) with a giant stainless steel pig loader.
This little sand blaster is the same darned thing! Well almost.
Anyway I bought a 50lb bag of recycled glass from princess and this is what I managed to get finished.
I tried the medium grit stuff first but it wasn't cooperating, the fine stuff was perfect. I know it's not bead blasting... But I couldn't find bead media.
It was a 2 man effort. One guy manned the pig while the other guy was on the hose.
I treated the blackish parts with the Birchwood Casey aluma black, as was recommended by leonardj here on the caf.
Getting a brown colour though, after I rubbed it with a clean rag I put some synthetic gun oil on it and it looks better... The 6061 piece I tried seemed to not accept the blue as easily as the pot metal parts... Might need better degreasing I think.
Anyway, there is that.
Anyone care to share some insight?

Attachments:
IMG_20210920_012747207.jpg
IMG_20210920_012747207.jpg [ 698.63 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am 

Sodium bicarbonate is better for removing finish without pitting the metal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm 

I was going for the pitted finish.
Hopefully it'll accept the finish a little better.
The aluminum black sort of takes the roughness out of it And leaves it matte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:28 pm 

KC, Try to plug any orifices that will harbour air seals before you sand blast. Those glass beads will embed in soft pot metal and aluminum and will rip the tar out of any seals in short order. Even if you have plugged everything, take lots of time to really clean any surfaces. It may not look like there is any residue left, but if you're not meticulous in your scrubbing, you will later regret it. Don't ask me how I know.
JD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 pm 

Hmm good point. I had thought about that. So I tried to be careful to not blast the inside of the mk1 frames. I'll clean them up good.