Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:54 pm 

Hi, i make a string of then shoots withy gun and use a website to calculate the stadard deviation my problem i have no idee if my velocity is constant enough to be accurate for 10 meter shooting ...

The standard deviation is 3.9 fps
Its a string of 10 shoots

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:38 pm 

A stdev 0f 4 fps on a 10 shot string is good enough for 10m target shooting. What would also be useful to know is what is the extreme spread, ES, (max-min) over the same string. an ES of 10 fps is pretty good.
If this is a CO2 gun, then the stats will vary with the rate of fire - generally they get worse the faster you shoot. If you want to understand the statistics of the normal distribution, here is a link that explains it pretty well. https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standar ... table.html
Basically, , 67% of the shots are expected to fall within 1 standard deviation of the mean, in your example between 531 and 539 fps (ES = 8 fps). Then 95 percent would fall within 2 stdevs, or 527 and 543 fps (ES=16 fps), 99.7% would be within 3 stdevs, or 523 and 547 fps. The "tails" tell us the chance of exceeding/not achieving the extremes, so in your case there is half of (100-99.7)% or 0.15% of exceeding 543 fps. Doesn't mean your gun can even achieve 540 fps, but them's the statistics. if you record a 100 shot string your stats would be more reliable.
HIH.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:50 pm 

My extreme is 15.6 fps. For the shooting speed it slow enough my 12g co2 tank never come really cold, have to take a walk every 3 shoots to change target , more than 3 i cant count the score just get a big hole. I practice at 6 meter on the basement.

The poi start dropping after 65 shoots. I check in the midle and at 60 shoots the velocity stay in the test number.

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:45 pm 

I use these coefficients https://hardairmagazine.com/ballistic-coefficients/. I then use this calculator https://shooterscalculator.com/ to get my holdover or under for shooting depending on my first or second Zero. The following 2 pics are results based on my Fusion 2 converted to hpa at 950 psi (630 fps) and 1000 psi (660 fps). I can see, that at the 2 different velocity the hold under changes .05" at 10 yards. I placed the sight height at zero as I only wanted to demonstrate the ability to calculate changes in hold under at 10 yards based on the 2 velocities. The drag function of Ga is not available in this calculator but it has given me very accurate results compared to when in field, using G1.
Attachment:
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 320.15 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]
Attachment:
22.jpg
22.jpg [ 306.15 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]