Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 pm 

For those of you who have never heard of these you may find this informative.
I first came across one of these in the 1970's while on a deer hunting trip with an older gentleman at his camp along the Mersey River, not far from Kejimkujik National Park in NS. On day 2 or 3 of our trip we met up late in the afternoon at our agreed rendezvous and as we walked toward each other I could see he was carrying a freshly shot rabbit. I commented on how clean the rabbit looked, as the last rabbit I had seen shot with a deer rifle clearly show signs of severe over kill. So he pulls out a caliber conversion sleeve and proceeds to demonstrate how it was used to chamber and fire a pistol cartridge through a rifle. Well I thought it was just about the neatest gadget I had seen in quite some time.
In this case he had a Winchester model 94 in 32 special with a conversion sleeve chambered for a 30cal. pistol cartridge?? (as best that I can recall, I am not up on pistol caliber sizes).
This is a great way to get dual duty from your rifle for picking up the odd rabbit, dispatching nuisances or just some cheap plinking.
Further info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber_conversion_sleeve

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 pm 

They make them now in 3006, 762x54R, 303 and 308. Mainly in 32 or 762x25.

I had one for my 303 to shoot 32 ACP from it. They were not super accurate because the rifling wasn't a match. They are about 30$ now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:20 am 

I have a few for 12ga, so I can shoot 9mm Luger, .45 Auto, .45 Colt/.410, and .22LR from my single-shot shotguns. They are rifled but I haven't gotten terribly good accuracy from them and I'm sure my lack of skills isn't entirely to blame.

Unfortunately my nicer single-shot seems to have a tighter bore and the inserts don't fit.

Can't remember who made them either... it's not Short Lane...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:39 am 

Chiappa do a whole set for 12 gauge: http://www.recoilweb.com/chiappa-x-cali ... 99605.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am 

I happen to live right by the inventor of the Hammond game getter http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/index.html, a sub caliber adapter that uses .22 nail gun loads to drive a buckshot.

J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 am 

A .30 caliber pistol round would be useless in a .32 Special that shoots .321 diameter bullets.An 8mm Nambu would be appropriate.I cast wheel weights 93gr lube sized .311 for a Tokarev pistol and use them in my CZ 527 7.62x39 for small game /chickens. With 2.7gr of Bullseye and a standard primer they run about 900fps and go into one hole at 50ft.In 30-30 sized cases 4gr of Unique......300 Sav /5gr and 30-06/ 6-7gr.The 303 British 4-5 gr of Unique bullet lubed but unsized same for the Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R.Quiet mouse fart load like a .22 short.Shot a pest pushing bush day before yesterday ,50 yards later walked into a bull and cow moose undisturbed by the shot.Had a beautiful 6x6 mulie in front of me as well as the moose and 7 Wt deer all headed to the waiting shooters.Body count one 3 year old dry cow moose and one WT as that is all we had tags for.Cutting the last 1/4 this am.Next year I should have a mulie buck tag hopefully........he's a cranker!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am 

Hammond Game Getters work but are a PITA to load juggling blanks ,balls and the adapter in a flock of grouse.Had one .......no thanks.I down load cast pistol bullets and keep an extra mag loaded with them in my pocket while hunting along with a 1/2 dozen loose rounds.Rapid reloads more meat in the pot.Never ending supply of components for next to nothing.Also great for finishing off big game if needed ...headshot.Alex cartridge adapters out of Montana /SIR used to sell them used .32 ACP out of the 30-30 worked fine but again slow to reload.