Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:34 pm 

https://youtu.be/_nHoD3DXaXQ

If you are not a member, please consider joining.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 am 

gab wrote:

While I'm all for gun rights, I'm not sure I want open and concealed carry gun rights. I like the fact that we have to store our guns in a locker- that way the kids don't get into them easily. I don't want to see those storage rules taken away. I also like reasonable magazine restrictions. I know they can be circumvented but during times of "passion" if someone has a restricted magazine they're less likely to hurt a large number of people as they didn't have the time to modify the magazine. I know this does nothing for someone who intentionally and premeditatively is setting out to hurt people.

I think Canada's gun laws are strict enough. I don't want to see guns taken away. I just don't want to go to the American extreme and it looks like the CCFR wants Canada to mimic the US's model. Hard decision for me. I like some of what they're doing. I don't want some of what they propose.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:52 am 

Trevor wrote:
gab wrote:

While I'm all for gun rights, I'm not sure I want open and concealed carry gun rights. I like the fact that we have to store our guns in a locker- that way the kids don't get into them easily. I don't want to see those storage rules taken away. I also like reasonable magazine restrictions. I know they can be circumvented but during times of "passion" if someone has a restricted magazine they're less likely to hurt a large number of people as they didn't have the time to modify the magazine. I know this does nothing for someone who intentionally and premeditatively is setting out to hurt people.

I think Canada's gun laws are strict enough. I don't want to see guns taken away. I just don't want to go to the American extreme and it looks like the CCFR wants Canada to mimic the US's model. Hard decision for me. I like some of what they're doing. I don't want some of what they propose.

No offense, Because doesn't matter if its double locked, they get stolen and treat you like you didn't try. It's you AS a parent, responsibility to make sure they are stored safe, or teach your kids to respect them, not touch them etc.. Shouldn't be a law, or government responsibility. Because I can throw a 9mm on my kitchen table, and that will never harm anyone. Exactly what my father taught me.

Magazine limits are useless. Criminals don't care. You know most mags are just limited by a pop rivet? Hammer and punch, a drill etc. Magazine restrictions doesn't stop shootings. Also you are aware that the main guns used in shootings are Shotguns, hunting rifles and 22's? Up North they use alot of saw off 22's. None of them have "high" cap mags.

It also makes it super hard to compete. Because if you shoot IPSC and 3 gun in the states, You are going up with people with 15/17 rds, vs 10rds. Rifle 30rds vs 5/10..Only negative thing is, ammo get costlier, or heavier.

No NFA is trying to be the NRA, not the CCFR.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:55 am 

No offense, Because doesn't matter if its double locked, they get stolen and treat you like you didn't try. It's you AS a parent, responsibility to make sure they are stored safe, or teach your kids to respect them, not touch them etc.. Shouldn't be a law, or government responsibility. Because I can throw a 9mm on my kitchen table, and that will never harm anyone. Exactly what my father taught me.

None taken. Agreed- stored safe. In a safe. Young kids won't know how to use a combination lock and will be kept out of them. Older kids can be reasoned with and explained the dangers of. Keys to safes can be hidden from that difficult middle child who just won't listen to you.

Magazine limits are useless. Criminals don't care. You know most mags are just limited by a pop rivet? Hammer and punch, a drill etc. Magazine restrictions doesn't stop shootings. Also you are aware that the main guns used in shootings are Shotguns, hunting rifles and 22's? Up North they use alot of saw off 22's. None of them have "high" cap mags.

A written above- not sure if you had read this part of my post when you responded to it:
I know they can be circumvented (magazines) but during times of "passion" if someone has a restricted magazine they're less likely to hurt a large number of people as they didn't have the time to modify the magazine. I know this does nothing for someone who intentionally and premeditatively is setting out to hurt people..

It also makes it super hard to compete. Because if you shoot IPSC and 3 gun in the states, You are going up with people with 15/17 rds, vs 10rds. Rifle 30rds vs 5/10..Only negative thing is, ammo get costlier, or heavier.

I'm sure it does. Can't argue with you here.

No NFA is trying to be the NRA, not the CCFR.[/quote]

The ccfr's website, under their policies tab, states they are for all the things I've outlined above. The ccfr wants open carry, relaxed storage requirements, and removal of magazine restricitons. If you want to liken that to the NFA and NRA that's your decision. I didn't. I just said I didn't want to see Canada mimic the US's model.

I'm not scared of criminals having guns. They're going to get them anyways and have always had them. I'm scared of the people out there with poor judgement, have had a bad day, recently divorced, emotionally unstable, lost their job. Normal everyday citizens who during times of duress may make an unfortunate wrong decision with something that the ccfa wants to have easy to have at hand. Its average joe public that I'm scared of. They're great people one day and not the next. These restrictions (the ones I specified above) keep honest people honest.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am 

Trevor wrote:

None taken. Agreed- stored safe. In a safe. Young kids won't know how to use a combination lock and will be kept out of them. Older kids can be reasoned with and explained the dangers of. Keys to safes can be hidden from that difficult middle child who just won't listen to you.

A written above- not sure if you had read this part of my post when you responded to it:
I know they can be circumvented (magazines) but during times of "passion" if someone has a restricted magazine they're less likely to hurt a large number of people as they didn't have the time to modify the magazine. I know this does nothing for someone who intentionally and premeditatively is setting out to hurt people..

I'm sure it does. Can't argue with you here.

No NFA is trying to be the NRA, not the CCFR.

The ccfr's website, under their policies tab, states they are for all the things I've outlined above. The ccfr wants open carry, relaxed storage requirements, and removal of magazine restricitons. If you want to liken that to the NFA and NRA that's your decision. I didn't. I just said I didn't want to see Canada mimic the US's model.

I'm not scared of criminals having guns. They're going to get them anyways and have always had them. I'm scared of the people out there with poor judgement, have had a bad day, recently divorced, emotionally unstable, lost their job. Normal everyday citizens who during times of duress may make an unfortunate wrong decision with something that the ccfa wants to have easy to have at hand. Its average joe public that I'm scared of. They're great people one day and not the next. These restrictions (the ones I specified above) keep honest people honest.

People teach kids gun safety, as low as 5 years old. So YES they understand.

You know how annoying it is, to be charged for unsafe storage for a couple 22s cartage's lying around on a table? That's why they want laxer storage laws. Or a 22LR stored in a lock closet. Making criminals over normal people.

You should be scared of criminals having guns. They are the ones that people like me, are screwing over. Nova Scotia shooter, did not have a license, had 2 assault charges, his guns were illegally acquired. His actions, changed every single law abiding citizens.

Alot of my friends are police officers, I also served in the Canadian Forces. Magazine limit has nothing to do with stopping crime. Criminals are going to be criminals, people that want to kill someone gonna kill someone. Stating that magazine limits will restrict spur of the moment, Is false. Considering alot of gun pulled off the NOVA SCOTIA streets are cut down Single shot 22s turned into pistols. So should be ban 22's because of people of criminal nature?

Ive been member of CSSA, NFA, CCFR... I been member of them all. But to argue laws, you kinda need to understand.

Also in Canada we don't really have a right to defend our self. So yes, we should. By the time the police shows up, it's too late. We are treated like criminals for protecting our self.

My neighbor planned his suicide, using a gun. His family didn't know had a gun.. Just last week, I helped a person grieve His friend went for a walk into the woods. He just lost his job and had a family of 6. Police and others deemed him dangerous. But knew his intentions. I also had a guy on tour, kill his family and himself. High cap mag didn't effect his decision.

How about BAN all guns ! Because normal people cannot shoot themselves or others if here are no guns. Basically what the government wants. I watched in my time of owning firearm, laws change because of criminals.. Not law abiding citizens.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am 

What some people don't realize, or perhaps choose not to realize is that criminals are just that - criminals.
They do not obey the law thus making more laws does nothing to dissuade them - making more laws only
effects those who will obey those laws. New restrictive laws also have the effect to mollify people who do
not understand or choose to not understand this basic principle of law and criminals.
There comes a point, though, sooner or later, where due to outrageous laws, previously law abiding citizens
choose to disobey the law. This has happened already in Quebec with their long gun registry. Outrageous or
ridiculous laws will be disobeyed by the masses. There comes a point where the government only makes laws
to create criminals. This is common practice in "some" countries.
I spent 35 years of my working career as a peace officer - I've seen the varmint & it is "governments".

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:11 pm 

This is a very good video, with talking points by a non-gun owner. Very interesting.
He's never fired a gun, not even an air rifle and likely never will for a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vAjbJ8606M

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:50 pm 

Trevor wrote:
gab wrote:

We don't mind police officers to open carry. I don't think there ever allow carry to regular people in Canada, but I wouldn't mind if they do with a condition that people who get carry license are properly trained and screened, maybe on regular basis, like one a year for example. After all only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns, baseball bats, knives and so on. And if we have more good guys with guns around during mass shootings more lives will be saved.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:01 pm 

scanny wrote:
Trevor wrote:
gab wrote:

We don't mind police officers to open carry. I don't think there ever allow carry to regular people in Canada, but I wouldn't mind if they do with a condition that people who get carry license are properly trained and screened, maybe on regular basis, like one a year for example. After all only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns, baseball bats, knives and so on. And if we have more good guys with guns around during mass shootings more lives will be saved.

Personally I like to see ATC's issued more.. Like I live in Rural NS. You never know if a bear or pack of yotes going to appear on the walking trails. OR a drunk or dangerous ATV operator, or even a mugger. If I carry a shotgun, I'm deemed hunting. Personally I rather have something I can operate with 1 hand.

But I agree on the licensing and being properly trained, but think should be qualified more often than once a year.. My father has carry for 34 states. There are alot of rules, and it depends on states where you can carry.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:08 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Personally I like to see ATC's issued more.. Like I live in Rural NS. You never know if a bear or pack of yotes going to appear on the walking trails. OR a drunk or dangerous ATV operator, or even a mugger. If I carry a shotgun, I'm deemed hunting. Personally I rather have something I can operate with 1 hand.

But I agree on the licensing and being properly trained, but think should be qualified more often than once a year.. My father has carry for 34 states. There are alot of rules, and it depends on states where you can carry.

I am in total agreement. We trained out crews once a year. We received updates as trainers, every 2 years. That is/was more than sufficient for us, but, I think having to quality once a year
was good for the squad, especially those who did not shoot much on their own and there were a few of those.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:44 pm 

Daryl wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I am in total agreement. We trained out crews once a year. We received updates as trainers, every 2 years. That is/was more than sufficient for us, but, I think having to quality once a year
was good for the squad, especially those who did not shoot much on their own and there were a few of those.

You can get rusty in less than 4 months if you don't practice. I shot weekly PPC matches, 96 rounds, plus whatever else I shot. When I came back after 4 months, I was shooting poorly. It took me a bit to get my groove back. Was talking to an officer friend, and we were chuckling about some 10 year police vet, target she posted. Was nothing to be proud of. It was like 10M and only one close to the bull, rest were all over the place, no group at all.

I feel that if you are to carry, you need to be tested more than once a year. Because you need to be able to hit what you are aiming. Because if you miss, you may be inuring someone else with a stray bullet. I mean 2 officers in NS, shot at another officer during the mass shooting, and shot up a fire station and ended up causing damage to a fire engine. I bet that the innocent person that was shot at, was glad they missed.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 pm 

There used to be, in the RCMP, a classification of "does not qualify to carry firearms"- this was in 1975/6. That meant office work until that "hurdle" was passed.
I'd about bet that classification does not exist any more, by the sounds of it.
My boys (none of the women who tried out) were all capable of and did shoot 8" plates to 100yards, with our handguns - DA only. I was quite proud of my boys.
None of the women could qualify - all my boys, the riot squad and my perimeter security squad all qualified with 80% plus scores on the regular course of fire, 7/10/15 and 25 yards.
Shooting the plates at 100 yards was not a requirement, just that they could and did.
When in the force, we qualified to 50 yards with our model 10's.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:46 am 

Daryl wrote:
There used to be, in the RCMP, a classification of "does not qualify to carry firearms"- this was in 1975/6. That meant office work until that "hurdle" was passed.
I'd about bet that classification does not exist any more, by the sounds of it.
My boys (none of the women who tried out) were all capable of and did shoot 8" plates to 100yards, with our handguns - DA only. I was quite proud of my boys.
None of the women could qualify - all my boys, the riot squad and my perimeter security squad all qualified with 80% plus scores on the regular course of fire, 7/10/15 and 25 yards.
Shooting the plates at 100 yards was not a requirement, just that they could and did.
When in the force, we qualified to 50 yards with our model 10's.

Well still believe that still in force, by talking to my friend. You can get people in the CF, not shoot their rifles in 4 years. But my point still stands, that you can get rusty before a year. If you want to carry, you should have to qualify at least 2-3 times a year.

I just watched a video my police buddy sent me, about a female officer, in Toronto running around her SUV like, Benny Hill music could be playing. She was running around while a guy threw rocks at her and at her SUV. She tried to taser him twice. But then ran away, allowing the SUV to be stolen if he wanted to.

100% justified shooting, But she didn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 am 

Its an absolute farce...Good video from a former litigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsrGbf_IkFw

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 am 

Trevor..... You think the criminals care a less about gun lockers? You may enjoy being treated as a criminal but I do not. Had guns since nine years old and 60 now and never once when I got mad did I ever think about grabbing one. Why does the goverment want to punish me? Tell you why is because it is showboating for non gun owners and distract that they are not smart enough to catch criminals.

When Deputy Prime Minister Christa Freeland gets on TV and says "We want to ban any gun that look scary". You believe if it looks scary they should be banned?

Cheers!