Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re-loading ammo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:32 am 
Admin-2-IC

I've been thinking about re-loading 223 and perhaps later 9mm & 40mm
as well BUT what I like to know is how much the equipment would cost
me at the begining to start off with for the 223 alone. Is it worth while
since the 223 is only about $ 12.94 /40 at LeBaron ($ 0.32ea) or sometime I saw $ 9.95/40 at BassPro ($ 0.25ea) or Marstar $ 0.31ea and
$ 0.30ea.
Currently I use only 20 - 223 perweek.
The question how long or how many re-load before it start breaking even.

THX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:31 am 

It has been years since I bought my equipement, but even now, loading .223 is nearly a dead heat. Good quality bullets cost at least 15.00 per hundred and heaven knows what the cost of powder, primers, and reloading presses are now. Unless you have an odd-ball calibre, or are definately going to reload pistol, for your particular calibre, it might not be worth the money spent. Shooting only the number of rounds that are used in competition at the club, it would take many, many years to see a savings shooting .223. Pistol is a different kettle of fish. It always takes time to see the actual savings, but when you have loaded and shot close to a hundred thousand rounds of pistol, equipement gets paid for many times over. You tend to go through more pistol ammo than rifle ammo. Hmmmmmm, wonder why?

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:12 am 

sniper:

Just did some looking up of prices for my rifle, .22 Hornet. Winchester ammo at LeBaron (HA, if they ever have it), is 33 dollars for 50 rounds. At Shooters Choice, 42 tp 53, depending on the bullet, for 50 Remingtons. You can see that it would not take too long to see the savings based on prices like that. Average 30-06 ammo is around 24 dollars for 20, so there is another example of a rifle round that will not take too long to see the savings.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:19 am 
Admin-2-IC

Keyrigger wrote:
sniper:

Just did some looking up of prices for my rifle, .22 Hornet. Winchester ammo at LeBaron (HA, if they ever have it), is 33 dollars for 50 rounds. At Shooters Choice, 42 tp 53, depending on the bullet, for 50 Remingtons. You can see that it would not take too long to see the savings based on prices like that. Average 30-06 ammo is around 24 dollars for 20, so there is another example of a rifle round that will not take too long to see the savings.

My Friend's Winchester Legendary Frontier takes 38-55, it used to cost
him $ 40-$45 per 20, now they're cheaper $ 30.94 / 20 at LeBaron ...
He doesn't re-load them because he only uses that gun for hunting deer
so a box of 20 would last him a couple years ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:11 am 

The advantage to reloading is primarily A: Enjoyment, and B: Accuracy.

Unless you shoot a vast amount of ammo or need a loading for a rare/obsolete/wildcat cartridge....theres really no cost saving to speak of.

If you buy decent equipment (I recommend RCBS for sure) You would be looking around 750-1000 bucks......thats alot of factory ammo.

I load for 7mm/08, 300 ultramag, 25/06, 6mm and .280.....eveything else, is just too cheap to buy factory....especially 9mm and .223

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:37 am 
Admin-2-IC

Wrong Way wrote:
If you buy decent equipment (I recommend RCBS for sure) You would be looking around 750-1000 bucks......thats alot of factory ammo.

WOW ..... you're absolutely right there ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

I have all RCBS that I purchased about 25 years ago when we used to reload anything that I had that could be reloaded. It was a learning experience and a lot of enjoyment and self satisfaction was derived from it. For the last few years my equipment has been gathering dust as it just became too much of a PITA when some really good shells were now available commercially. With the arrival of my .257 Roberts and 2 box's of brass, I have had to dust off the old equipment. The RCBS FL Die Set was under 50.00 from SSS. which is less than a box of .257 shells when you can find them or get them. Necessity caused me to get back into the reloading. I will enjoy doing it again. At least for the first hundred rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:44 pm 

I bought a Lee Anniversary Kit in August for $312 ( Including enough components for my first 150 rds). I'm only reloading .308 right now and its already paid for itself. Since I can reload near match grade for $0.47 per round I'm well ahead of the game.

Lee equipment is quite suitable for most jobs. I'm going to start reloading handgun ammo this summer and I think I'm going to buy the Lee Turret press. Its not as fast as a progressive, but the price is right for my budget (Around $175 all in)

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:01 pm 

I have to agree with Wrong way. One has to pump lead out to justify costs. There are factory deals out there that don't justify .223 9mm 40cal 308 you get what I mean.
That brings me to think what I've spent with my dad and brother over the last 30yrs I've been reloading. It adds to quite the investment, but if one wants accuracy and enjoyment it is well worth it.
As for quality equipment RCBS is IMO the best for your buck

Later

Whitewolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:07 pm 

I've been reloading all my ammo for the last 20 years, have reloaded .223, 38spl, .357mag ,44 mag, 9mm,6PPC, 6.5x55, 7x57, 30-30, 38-55, 45-70, 308. I started with RCBS press that a friend lent me, now I use a Lyman Turret press and most of my dies are Lee Collet dies . I really enjoy reloading my own ammo ,it gives me a chance to fine tune it to my rifles, find what shoots best in a particular rifle. As far as saving money, it may cost me 1/2 the price but I shoot twice as much . More Bang for your buck 8) I shoot about 100 rounds of 308 every time I go to the range, which is every week from May to November. I buy my powder 4lbs at a time from Higgenson plus bullets 500 or 1000 at a time and primers 1000 at a time , I have about 1500 .308 cases, that way I'm good for a while.
I could'nt afford to buy all my ammo factory made :cry:
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:21 pm 
Admin-2-IC

bobv wrote:
I've been reloading all my ammo for the last 20 years, have reloaded .223,
Bob

Hi Bob,

so what would it cost to re-load about 1000 .223 in supplies before tax.

Thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:38 am 

I got into reloading to save money, not to spend it ;)

You can get press and dies for $70 (Lee challenger kit) the scale is about $35 and Lee Auto disk (powder dispenser) is about another $25 that is ALL you need to get started! You can spend $1000 if you want but you don’t have to ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:03 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Sniper,

.223 Rem Ammo
55gr Win PSP = $10/100 (10 cents each)
Win primers = $22/1000 (2.2 cents each)
Win 748 powder = $25/lb (27 grains - 10 cents)

One round of ammo, made with Winchester components, would cost you about 23 cents plus tax (LeBaron prices). Your costs would go up if you went with Speer or Hornady bullets. With the Winchester component prices, a box of 20 rounds would be $4.60.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fall_06_07/hu ... onents.pdf

RCBS Partner press $75 (LeBaron)
Lyman Pro 500 scale $55 (LeBaron)
RCBS dies $35 (LeBaron)
RCBS shellholder $8 (Lebaron)

If you want to save a few more dollars you could go with LEE dies (shellholder incl) and a LEE Reloader press or Challenger. The LEE Reloader press is around $30 and it works fine. I used one for a while and had no problems with loading many thousands of rounds.

You will also need a method to trim your cases. The LEE cutter and pilot system is only around $15 for the set and works fine.

Try here for LEE prices (phone).
http://www.higginsonpowders.com/pages/934271/index.htm

As was mentioned, reloading is not only about savings. It allows you to fine tune the ammo to the rifle. You can test powder charges, bullet seating depths, and components to find what shoots best in your rifle.

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by TCooper on Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 am 
Admin-2-IC

Thank you all for the great info's.

Excellent detail Todd, thx.

I guess for next year would be worth while to re-load since I'll be using
over thousands of 223's and pehaps 9mm & 40 cal. and just use the
less expensive reloading machine.