Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Storm 1000 XT
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm 

I have the Crosman Storm 1000 XT which I recently purchased at Walmart (in the US). It is a Quest 1000 with a few slight differences like the stock (no groove in the fore end) and the front sight (not hooded). In fact, the part number on the manual is the EXACT same as the Quest 1000. The rated velocity is 1000, but we all know it is inflated. However, I do have some of the Gamo Raptors (5gr) that go super sonic, because of the "crack". Interesting, no? I'll do another writeup on the Raptors after I get a chance to test them some more.

Sights: While I'm not a fan of plastic on a rifle, the open sights work great. I am looking for a metal replacement, and may already have some from an older springer, I just need to see if it will fit. The fiber optic inserts really stand out making the target easier to acquire. The way the gun lays in my arms when I bring it to bear, the open sights are pointing right where I need them.

Scope: A Crossman 3-9x32 scope was included. I have read other's posts about the scope being a pain, but I found it very reliable after I sighted it in. I did notice when going through the adjustments to give the turret a little tap made a world of difference to the adjustments. Prior to doing that (a little trick I learned from my father with an old Weaver scope), the adjustment would not "take affect" until the rifle was shot once or twice. Once the sight-in session was done, the fun really began.

Accuracy: I have been shooting the Crosman Premier Hollow Points. I tried the Wad Cutters, but they were too erratic. I haven't punched paper to get a group size, but the squirrel that ventured out right after I finished sighting in will give testimony to the accuracy of the rifle. I don't like to punch paper as much as most, but at 45+ yards I can hit a can offhand without difficulty. With a rest, it's not even a challenge. I don't measure a gun by how tight the group is, only if it will "fetch" whatever I order it to get. So far, no disappointments when I do my job.

Feel: This airgun feels like a rifle. This is important to me because it is how I stay in tune as a shooter to get out and be able to shoot my 300 Win Mag accurately when hunting season rolls around. It shoulders better than any of my rifles, centerfire, rimfire or air. It just fits me better than any rifle I own!! The only gun I have held that fit me as good was an old English side by side 12 gauge, but it was about $1500US, so I'll settle with the Crosman!!

Overall: I couldn't be happier with this rifle out of the box. As with anything, there is room for improvement and tinkering. The fit and finish are above what a $100 gun should be, and the feel is unmatched. Well worth the money spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:38 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

crosman makes a 3-9x32 scope?

maybe it was the remington summit you got?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:44 pm 

Quote:
maybe it was the remington summit you got?

Nope, definitely a Crosman Storm XT. I was there when I picked it off the shelf and put my money down to pay for it. I just looked at the scope, and it says "Crosman 3-9X32" right on it. I came with the Storm XT, and I assume it is the same that is included in all the package (rifle & scope) deals. Whenever I get my honey-do's caught up, I'll have to take some pics.