Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:35 am 

These videos are the latest info about the S&W R8 revolver by Umarex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvEFEkUBfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3a6gHApzQI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 am 

Just went to Airgunsource website and the R8 is available. Located under pistols/Smith&Wesson.

http://airgunsource.com/store/index.php?product=225-5070&c=29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 pm 

Proteus wrote:
Just went to Airgunsource website and the R8 is available. Located under pistols/Smith&Wesson.

http://airgunsource.com/store/index.php?product=225-5070&c=29

Thanks! I just wish that they took paypal. I think Ill wait for Micheal Kaye's review, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 pm 

A review by someone who was disappointed by the R8.

I was unable to copy/paste the http address, but if you paste this in Google it will show you the site.

Airgun forum: Review New Umarex S&W R8 bb Revolver

[i]I have been a fan of Umarex pistols for sometime and love shooting my CP88 and S&W 586. In the last year or so I started picking up some of there lower cost bb pistols just to plink at cans or punch paper plates. I had this S&W R8 pre-ordered for over 2 months and had some high hopes that this would be the best of the bunch as far as my bb pistol collections goes. Well man was I wrong frankly this gun worries me that if this is the direction that Umarex has taken when it comes to there licensed guns this is not good.

I did not expect this gun to be a fine pistol but I didn't expect pure junk either for a pistol that retails for $90 and sells for $70 you can get a whole lot more for your money. The gun is almost all plastic the frame,cylinder,clip etc. When I first took the gun from the blister pack and gave a few squeezes to the trigger I knew that this was not going to be good very rough and cheap feeling. I did oil all the moving parts and was able to improve the action and get the trigger to where it was pretty decent but the build quality of the trigger mechanism doesn't appear that it would hold up very long.

This being a bb revolver you have to load 8 bb's into the round clip not hard to do but they only give you one clip and no extras were available at time of purchase. The accuracy I know I know its a bb pistol but it's not as good as any of the other Umarex bb pistols I own which include the Colt Defender,Beretta Elite II, Makarov and HK USP was a very nice feeling gun but after 2 leakers I gave up which was a shame the USP had a really nice trigger on it. The Beretta being the best of the bunch and very surprising when it comes to accuracy. I'm not sure what Umarex or S&W was thinking when they decided to go to market with this other than the fact the gun does look very cool and realistic and a short distance but they both should be ashamed for asking so much for so little. I was surprised the rear sight is adjustable for windage even though the package says its not I wish they would have this feature on all there pistols. The gun is rated at 410fps which is about average for a bb pistol. Loudness is low to med. This gun was a big thumbs down for me and a bit let down. Tim A.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:59 am 

My first impression on opening up the clamshell was disappointment.

I was expecting something like the Crosman 357 or Umarex S&W 686. It is nothing like those two revolver replicas. If Glock was to make a revolver the R8 would be it. Once I realized it was a Glock revolver, the R8 is a very pleasant replica.

The R8 is mostly ABS and it has the same texture and feel that the Umarex Desert Eagle has. It is very comfortable in the hand and I found the trigger/rotating magazine/hammer movement smooth, with no jerkiness to upset the aimimg picture.

Not as accurate as the Crosman 357 or S&W 686 because of the smoothbore and use of BB's. With the 8 round magazine I found that 1 or 2 BB's were flyers that would miss the aiming point at 30 feet by about 8 to 12 inches.

Loading and unloading the barrel is an enjoyable exercise. If extra magazines become available grab them.

The one thing I really noticed was the R8 was a lot quieter than other co2 replicas. While the others would have a crack or bang, the R8 was more like a muffled pop.

Don't expect the quality of a CP88, the workmanship is closer to the CPSport or PQ99.

After one co2 bottle, I found I really liked the R8.