Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Review on FX Royale
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:35 am 

Picked up a new FX Royale last week, mounted a Bushy 6500 2-16x42 on it. I put about 350 pellets through it - about enough blasts as the dog could stand - no shroud!

Feel and handling - the only way to describe this rifle is that it just feels right, natural mounting, well balanced, very light - I could actually stand and hold and take shots, quiet let off, easy to cock and inserting pellets was unusually friction free - maybe because of the smooth bore barrel - but I'm just guessing. Tried H&N Bar 21 gr, RWS 21 gr, JSB 25.4 Monsters. Best groups I was seeing came from the H&Ns about 8mm measured end to end at 20 yds indoors - I would not complain about the JSBs either, but they are a tad heavy for this gun, so they shoot with considerable more arc.

The metal work is excellent, fit & finish is exceptional, loading push rod has no O ring - I guess the O ring is inside the receiver. The stock is well finished in oil, even the inside where you can't see has been smoothed out - so no burrs that I can see.

The loading magazine is a little counter intuitive in that you have to rotate it completely CC before you start loading, one from behind to lock the spring and the rest from the front.

Nice adjustable butt, handy when you have the scope mounted high as in my case and the magazine just clears the body.

Since I own other ariguns, thought I would rate this one, so bottom line, my early impressions vs the Daystate Air Ranger and Air Wolf MCT which I already own; Wolf first, FX second and the Ranger third, only because the FX is lighter to carry in the field.

After zeroing the scope, tune up etc and shoot some groups, I chose to use a piece of wood since its easier to see the groupings. As you can see below, the 10 shot group can fit inside a 11mm circle at 25 yds - all pellet holes are basically touching each other - pretty decent I thought. I am using a 21.2gr H&N Match round nose, Avg pellet velocity of 840fps, a spread of 11fps and avg energy of 33fpe - right about what the gun promised. :D

Image[/img]

Backside of the 2x4 pine stud - pellet on pellet, blowing right through

Image[/img]

Post subject: Re: Review on FX Royale
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 pm 

UPDATE: Received some JSB Exact 18gr pellets today and tried some quick groupings. Wow, I thought the H&N grouped well, these were doing 8mm groups in 25 yds, I could just about put a pellet into another pellet hole, leaving a slightly bigger and ragged hole. All I have to say is wow! - this gun is super accurate.

Pic of the actual grouping

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:04 am 

Thanks for the review, that looks like a great gun. I might have to get something from FX next.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:16 am 

I enjoyed the review of your fine air rifle. I picked up the Cutlass model from AGS awhile ago, (marked down), and absolutely love it. My rifle also prefers JSB's over H&N. I was amazed at the quality of craftsmanship.