Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:35 pm 

I recently received this model HW from a friend and decided to test it yesterday
afternoon on the indoor range. Before heading to the range, I ran 2 patches through
the bore with Ed's Red solvent, then 2 dry patches. The fellow I got the rifle from must
have already cleaned the bore. It was clean as received. The cleaning I did, did nothing.
I have since found out, he had already Blue lock-tighted the screws, but had not shot this
rifle at all, I'm sure.
The tables/benches were set up at 50', which is 16.6yards for pellet testing.
The first 6 shots for group from the rifle, after checking the zero (top right target) are
noted on the bottom target of the 3 bullseye one on the right. The top left target of
of the next 6 shots went into .536", as noted. These targets were shot with the
Crossman Ultra Magnum RN 10.5gr. pellets.
The target of 5 bullseyes on the left of the photograph, were with: top left, top right, middle,
bottom left, bottom right:
10.5gr. ultra Mag RN, 8.2gr. RWS Superdomes, JSB Match, 10.5gr. Crossman Super Mags & 10.34gr.
JSB super heavies, the bullet-like pellets.
So - I am absolutely blown away by this rifle. I did not think it would shoot this well at all, let alone
right off the bat, with no break-in.
I should also note, I rested the forend on the front bag, just behind the hinge screws, which is not the
artillery hold.
Also, a dime covers the 5 and 6 shot 10.5gr. pellet groups, except for the first group shot.

Attachments:
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG [ 162.09 KiB | Viewed 2242 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm 

did you run it over the crony ?
Nice shooting Daryl but i personally think it can group tighter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm 

No - not chronographed. Also, this shooting was with the iron sights, which, with my 69 year old eyes
do not look that good. I should have noted this in my first post, but failed to do that.
I have since put a scope on the rifle and expect groups at least 1/2 the size using the JSB heavies
and the 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Mag pellets.
I will also try some Predator pellets, next time out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm 

Daryl wrote:
No - not chronographed. Also, this shooting was with the iron sights, which, with my 69 year old eyes
do not look that good. I should have noted this in my first post, but failed to do that.

I have since put a scope on the rifle and expect groups at least 1/2 the size using the JSB heavies
and the 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Mag pellets.
I will also try some Predator pellets, next time out.

lol...yes that would have helped :lol:
in that case good stuff well done sir... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 pm 

Nice!
And those groups are exceptional for old eyes. My eyes are so bad I can focus on the front sight or the rear sight or the target, but not at the same time, so it makes hitting any target near impossible - let alone groups. I'm pretty good with a scope though. LOL.
But another troubling thing I notice these past few mounts is my hold is getting shakier and shakier, so its hard to keep the crosshairs on the bull for long enough to place the shot. Old age is hell.
Lets see groups with the scope. Do you know for sure those are favorite pellets?

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:04 pm 

Tks for the accolades, however I have had a lot of practice, over the 60 or so years I've been shooting with iron sights.
I see the front sight fairly well, less fuzzy I guess is the correct description, than the rear and target. I tried a group with
.50 dipoters instead of my prescription glasses and that test was instrumental for enlarging the bottom left group of 10 shots
to .887". It would have been much smaller.
These are the first groups and pellets tried. I did try Piranha 10.5gr. Crossmans on a 5-target page, but they were as bad as
the match pellets. Those are also not very good in my HW97 .177. That rifle prefers the Cometa 8.44gr. 4.51mm pellets. At some
point, I will also test those in this rifle - likely next Sunday. I suppose I could test them at 10 meters on Wed. evening, but at that
close range, I doubt there will be much difference. It usually takes "some" range to show preferences in pellets, although gross
dislikes for distinct pellets will show up at 10 meters I am sure. I'll do that, then, taking the HW80 to the range Wed. evening.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:54 pm 

Actually, the HW80 has a lot of swept volume and 'jumpier' than other springers. Takes a while to get used to it and learn the holds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm 

I'll find out tomorrow evening as I've committed to showing up for 10 meter air gun night.

Attachments:
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg [ 154.32 KiB | Viewed 2128 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm 

Well, went to the range last night & shot at 10 meters, ie: about 11 1/2 yards.
I started off with using the Leapers 3-12X44 30mm glass etched scope from my HW98.
The first few groups went just fine, however after 12 groups, the scope moved, sliding
backwards about 3/16". The targets are marked, whether the rifle's stock iron sights or
scope. All shooting was from a single rest. I tried resting the stock just ahead of the trigger
guard for the first 2 groups, but ended up resting just back of the front stock screws for
the rest of them.
This rifle really seems to like the JSB 8.44gr. Cometa (green tin) Diabolo pellets.

Bottom left target, upper right bullseye is the first group using the rifle's open sights
and the 8.44gr. Cometa 4.51mm pellets.
Bottom right target, bottom left bullseye is the same pellets, for a 10shot group. Note, 8 of the 10
are in the same hole. These pellets seem to shoot very well.

Attachments:
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG [ 152.18 KiB | Viewed 2079 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:16 pm 

Good to see things going so accurately! I am considering the 500fps .177 version of the HW 80!

(Although I would prefer the underlever HW77) do you feel many drawbacks by having the conventional break barrel over the underlever?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 pm 

Hi Luna,
I would suggest the underlever HW97 or HW77 or AArmsTX200, over any break-barrel rifle.
The potential for better accuracy is paramount, I feel, due to the solid lockup between
barrel and expansion/power chamber.
I do not know anything about the underlever model HW57.

My HW97KT in .177, although the high powered version, makes groups indoors
at our 50' and 60' ranges, of under 1/4" on centers with several different pellets.
Noise wise, it does not bother the other guys shooting indoors at our range, and indeed, makes
less noise than the CO2 Match rifles. The ringing on the steel plates in the backstop, however is
louder due to the almost 900fps velocity.
Accuracy wise, it matches most, if not all of the match rifles, CO2, side cocking or PCP, on paper
at those ranges. The sub 500fps models have the potential of even better accuracy.
The top target is one I shot some time back, using different pellets. The 8.44gr. 4.51 Cometa JSB's
turned in the best performance as you can see. This shooting was at 20yards, or 60' w/12X scope.

Attachments:
HW97 20 yards.jpg
HW97 20 yards.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 1878 times ]
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG [ 116.92 KiB | Viewed 1879 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm 

This is great info Thanks!