Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 am 

It came in the mail today! Thanks for the quick time on the shipping Wes!

N.I.B. :mrgreen:

There's a six page manual in there, a 7 shot wind-up type magazine, a spare o-ring kit, and what looks like a spare delrin(?) poppet.

There's an adjustable flat top piston in there :shock: with an oil wiper yet!

It even has a trigger! J/K :bear: Trigger is supposed to be adjustable from 1/2 to 4 lbs if I read the box correctly.

Tube end is reinforced a bit by the pivot pin retainer.

I haven't done much with it except run about 15 pellets through it. Hard to pump at first- the oil in the valve is much denser than air, and much harder to pressurize. By shot 15, it stopped spewing clouds of oil down range.

I didn't chrony it or anything like that. I'll wait to shoot for groups until I back off on the trigger a bit....

Overall first impression is favourable. Bluing is a bit uneven, especially on the pivot pin retainer. Robo fit of the wood is surprisingly well done frow what I can see on the exterior. It's supposed to be Euro-beech wood on the stock. A little on the bland and blonde side. There may be character in there under the dipped stain... possibly might re-finish with mini wax cherry and a speed oil of some sort- perhaps Danish...

Gun handles nicely. I'm becoming a fan of the rubber butt pad lately. It shoulders positively.

The rear sight is finished in gloss black paint of some type, and is hard to work with under artificial light. The front sight is seriously on the wide side, especially for an air rifle. It will be referred to in future as the Blob.

Rifle is set up to retain air. It's supposed to be 2 equal shots for 8 pumps. I'm getting two shots alright- the first sounds a bit louder than the second. Gun is very quiet, and sounds like low to mid 300's.

If I'm not too beat up from work Thursday night, I'm going to do a quick port change and go to full throttle poly ice maker tubing, just to see what happens....

Last 8 pumps into the gun went much easier than the first eight....

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am 

Thanks for sharing! It does get easier pumping doesn't it as it breaks in, which is good because it's pretty stiff to start with! For people's info this gun hasn't been tuned prior to Doc getting it so he's probably right in it getting in the low 300's velocity. I've been tuning others to get two shots at 5 pumps in the 470-500 range. Ice maker tubing will be interesting! Wouldn't be surprised if it will get close to 800 at 7 or 8 pumps =)

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:14 am 

Did a bit with the rifle tonight.

Build is quite similar to the Chaser pistol in terms of breech, bbl, transfer port, and trigger.

The hole in the port was very tiny: .046" dia. Was not too happy with the fit of poly ice maker tubing, so I drilled the factory port out using my numbered bit set. Final diameter is .136", which is the same as the exhaust hole on the valve, and the inlet hole on the bbl.

For those interested in this sort of thing, yes, the bits are too tiny to fit a normal 3/8" chuck. I simplified and made a poor mans lathe. I chucked up the port in the drill, and walked up the numbered bits one at a time. I hand held the bits in a pair of pliers, and it worked well.

I doubt it's any where near 800 fps at 8 pumps. 5 pumps sounds close to the 500 mark, and 8 sounds like it might be nudging 600. I'll try to chrony it in the next few days....

I pulled the rear sight off and mounted a cheap little Simmons 3-9 X 32 A/O.
I got a 12 meter group of 5 at 5 pumps each that went into a shade under 9/16" on centers with the crosman tear drop points.
Might not sound very impressive, but the gun is back to venting oil down range with the larger transfer port.
I think there's potential there. She's still pretty stiff pumping yet. I'm at about 40 shots through the gun now.

There's a few improvements that could be made. I'll probably source to fit some flat washers for the stock bolts- just to keep the heads from wearing through the wood.

I couldn't find an adjuster screw on the trigger. There's a hole there for one, but no screw.
I'll have to find a dead mini bic lighter and take the gas button spring for the trigger- just to lighten it up some....

I've got a bit of time to put into this rifle, now. I still like it a lot, and am looking forward to getting it shot in a bit.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 am 

Thanks Doc.

I am watching your progress as I will
be looking into tuning mine after the winter sets in for good.

I will use your experience to save me some trial and error.

Envoyé de mon Pixel en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 pm 

Probably right that it won't hit 800 at 8 pumps but I can easy hit 500 or close to it at 3 pumps so it should get close to 700 you'd think at eight with that monster hammer spring in there, lol, and the port opened up. I know some guys on the American forums did some things with the piston orings to make it much easier pumping on the back stroke. That big rubber one sort of causes quite a bit of friction on some of them.
There is the same adjustment as the cp1 on the trigger but you have to take things apart to get at it, maybe they're planning to eventually make the trigger two stage or never got around to it?
Thanks for sharing Doc! Looking forward to your results

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 pm 

I was thinking that the big rubber cushion behind the piston is the culprit. Considering turning it down a little.

Had a look down the bore last night and it looks like cleanly cut button rifling.

Still have to compare tube diameter against 13 XX. I think it's a bit larger. Looks a bit thin walled to me. I likely won't push this pumper very hard. Will do a side by side look later with the old 101....

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 pm 

Yep that rubber cushion was what I was thinking about as well. I think these tubes are all cut from the same pipes, StormRider, CR600W/plinkster, cp1, Chaser. Look the same thickness to me anyway but I haven't put the calipers on them to see for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:12 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I was thinking that the big rubber cushion behind the piston is the culprit. Considering turning it down a little.

Had a look down the bore last night and it looks like cleanly cut button rifling.

Still have to compare tube diameter against 13 XX. I think it's a bit larger. Looks a bit thin walled to me. I likely won't push this pumper very hard. Will do a side by side look later with the old 101....

-D.S.

Doc, that made me chuckle lol
Cheers
Walter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:49 pm 

At least someone's awake here.

I've seen some pretty hacked button rifling jobs though. It's a good thing this isn't one of them.
Looking forward to tomorrow's shoot. Will probably put a better piece of glass on the 700-W- a 6-24 banner...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:14 pm 

Pics after shoot eh!!
Have fun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 am 

Will try, Walter. Pics from the gravel pit usually come up nice.

For the rest of you here that have bought this gun, a couple of important points.

The bore is very heavily packed with that brown bore preservative that I like to call yak fat.
Cutting it by chemical means is desirable- it will speed up a messy process. Lighter fluid seems to liquefy it well for me.

I found all 3 linkages on the pump arm to be pretty dry. Got a couple of drops of air tool oil on each link point for now.

Arm and piston move quite freely under no load. It's highly possible that it's good old high pressure air that 's making the gun hard to pump. The larger diameter tube and piston are compressing a large volume of air...

Will probably have more on that subject later....

I really like the way the pivot system was designed. There's a steel pivot plug in there. The pin retainer adds extra strength to a good system.

Few hours of sackaroo, then pit time!

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 pm 

Had a good outing to the pit. It was busy in there with people getting sighted in for the upcoming deer season.

8 pumps with the Crosman tear drop pointed, For a .22 pumper, that ain't bad at all.

7 of them went into slightly over 1/2" at 15 yds. Most of that dispersion is the wind, and my troubles timing the gusts...

5 JSB 18.1 gr heavy. I yanked the one at left- still getting used to the trigger.

5 polymag Predator at 8 pumps, 15 yds. :mrgreen:
The predators are too long to fit in the magazine. If it stays that accurate with them, the mag won't really be needed.

Right side of rifle with 4-12 X 40 A/O Vortex Diamondback BDC.

Left side as above.

Performance:

Temperature was 4 C when I started, and warmed to 8C by the time the pit session was over.

At 3 pumps with the 14.3 gr Crosman pointed:

1.) 522.6

2.) 522.9

3.) 521.9

4.) 522.8

5.) 522.4

At 5 pumps with the same pellet:

1.) 600.5

2.) 596.7

3.) 599.4

4.) 596.6

5.) 597.0

At 8 pumps with the same pellet:

1.) 654.8

2.) 653.6

3.) 651.7

4.) 655.0

5.) 651.2

At ten pumps with the same pellet:

1.) 669.8

2.) 674.2

3.) 674.2

4.) 677.2

5.) 673.0

For a pumper, that is extremely consistent shot to shot velocity. I am impressed.

Obviously the gun is topping out volume wise at 8 pumps. I think I'm going to suggest 8 pumps as the max for this gun.

It may do 800 at 8 pumps with a lightweight pba non-lead pellet- which really doesn't interest me.

Rifle behaves well off the soft rest. Those with small hands may find trigger reach a bit on the long side. My hands are what I consider medium sized, and the long reach does not bother me that much.

With the bored out transfer port, I'm not able to get the gun to retain air at any reasonable pump count.

Very impressed with this rifle. It appears to be a close copy of the old Japanese Sterling/Sharp pumper. Never could find one. This one makes an excellent consolation prize.

I have a bit of work to do to smooth out the trigger. Haven't done any polishing, but I did replace the trigger spring with one from a bic lighter gas button tensioner...

Edit: My left bicep is now 3 times the size of the right- which used to be the big one :rolleyes:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 pm 

Lol! I bet, gonna have to start switching arms to pump to even things out!
Nice consistency for sure. Great to see some pics! Scope looks good on there.
You were sure right on your velocity estimate at 8 pumps. Nice to see it can get over 500 at 3 though. 3 pumps is not near as hard pumping as 8!
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 pm 

Nice Shooting Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 am 

Hi Doc.

It seems that your chrony numbers are more consistent than mine. I am wondering if it could be because you still have the original hammer spring.

The accuracy of your rifle also seems very good.

Have fun.

R-Gun Pete