Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 pm 

Hi all! So it has been about 2 weeks since I bought the Umarex Legends Ace-In-The-Hole and thought it would be a good time to start my review and impressions thread.
Technical stuff:
I can get about 100-115 good shots with a Co2 capsule (Crosman brand) with temperature around 0 Celcius.
I was shooting outside at about 22 feet from my targets. (Measured with tape measurer to approximate target placement positions.
I was shooting at various spots in a 20 feet high pile of snow and at target circles printed on regular 8x11.5 paper that I placed on a plywood in the snow pile. (careful for pellets bouncing back :P )
I was using a two handed hold where my left hand was holding up my right hand which held the airgun. My feet were about shoulder width, but with the left one slightly ahead of the right one for better balance.
I did about 100 shots with old Crosman pointed Copperheads and another 100 shots with Crosman premier wadcutters.

When shooting at the printed paper targets, I've been getting some good results with about 2.5 inch groupings.
When shooting at various loosely selected spots in the snow (pebbles, spots of dirty snow, etc) I've been shooting at about 1/2 inch to 1 inch distance around my selected targets. I've often been hitting these targets right on the spot in 1 to 3 shots.

Since my goal was to find a good and accurate airgun revolver with which to practice my aim and technique at 20 to 40 feet, I consider myself very satisfied. I believe that I will be able to improve with 20 feet shots and gradually move to 40 feet shots. The Ace-In-The-Hole is a beautiful replica and I also believe that, although it is not a competition air pistol and not meant to be one either, it is capable of delivering better than backyard plinking accuracy.

Note: I am not sure if it is a normal behavior of the Colt shells or because the air temperature was colder than other times, but I had some Crosman Permier wadcutter pellets getting stuck in the rubbery gaskets at one time. I fixed the issue by applying some silicone airgun lube to the gasket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:59 pm 

I am getting similar results with my Ace Revolver, on my 24 ft. indoor range.

You will probably see shot count and velocity improve when the temperature warms up, as CO2 is effected by the cold.

I start with Crosman wadcutters, but switch to a slightly lighter pellet (7 gr. RWS Basic flatheads) for later shots, when the velocity drops a bit. Although the drop from 7.4 gr. to 7 gr. isn't that much.

You will find the more you practice the better you will get.

I find my pellet shooting Ace to be much more accurate than my BB shooting Colt peacemakers, even though the peacemakers have a 5.5" barrel and the Ace only has a 3.5" barrel.

Would be interesting to see the accuracy with the 7.5" rifled barreled Peacemaker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 pm 

Cool! Did you happen to get the misfire issue that I fixed by lubing the shell gasket?

Note: I made a mistake when naming my pellets; the Crosman are regular wadcutters, not Premier wadcutters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm 

Have fun practicing, over time, it will come together. Don't forget your breathing & trigger control. Squeeze that trigger straight back, not your whole hand.
Grip your gun hand hard, with the other hand and relax the gun hand - concentrate on that trigger coming straight back.
Not much more can do remotely.
Best wishes

Last edited by Daryl on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:09 pm 

The only real time I had a misfire issue with pellets not shooting out of the shell is when the CO2 is getting low, or if shells are brand new.

Happens once in a while when CO2 is almost empty. Only happen once or twice with new shells.

Once shells are worn in and CO2 is still good, no misfires.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm 

Hi Daryl! Thanks for the advice. Yes, the Ace-in-the-hole is a handgun. I've been concentrating on my breathing first, but haven't mastered the trigger control yet :) I'm still pulling the shots every now and then

BB1Shooter: Thanks for the feedback, in my case changing the Co2 hadn't fixed the issue, but my shells (12 of them) are relatively new (I've only shot about 220-240 shots so about 20 shots per shell)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 am 

No issues with mine at all.
I usually stop shooting pellets when the sound of the gun changes due to low CO-2, and dry fire until the CO-2 cylinder is empty.

Mine really likes the 8.44 gr JSB domes. I have some crosman 7.9 gr F/T domes to try in it next.
Very nice with the 8.1 gr Meister wadcutters.

Best factory pistol trigger I've ever come across. It even shades the trigger on the 1701-P, and that says a lot about the trigger.

Try shooting yours indoors at 20 C or so. Your accuracy will improve a lot, and the gun will function normally, without the gaskets holding pellets against low gas pressure.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 pm 

Quick update on performance and accuracy:
I went to the shooting range last week and shot a few cylinders from 10m distance. I was shooting from a seated position and used the metal stand to rest the revolver cannon.
I changed out the Co2 cartridge after my first 6 shots came out at 3 inches below my aiming point.
After that, my Crossman wadcutters and my Crossman copperhead pointed pellets all had similar trajectories, landing about 1 inch below the target and 1 1/4 inch to the right.
My average grouping was 2 inches while my best grouping was 1 inch (measured with tape measurer)
Since all these shots were taken with the revolver canon rested, it just goes to show how much I need to practice! But still, I'm really liking this revolver.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm 

Hello again guys! For those interested, here is my latest update on my experience with the Ace-In-The-Hole.

After a bit of a scare on April 20th when my pistol started shooting too hard (https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic82645.html), turns out it probably just needed a new Co2 cartridge!

I ordered some Daisy Precision 7.7gr pellets in 500 count pack and started shooting with those instead of the Crosman 7.4gr around the same time as Spring started warming our weather a bit. The Daisy pellets are performing much better in the warmer temperature (still sub 20 Celcius where I am). So much so that I think I've found my go-to pellet for my revolver. I do have some heavier pellets left to test, maybe for later in the summer.

Anyways, I found the way to adjust the front sights on the Ace-In-The-Hole: by using a fine blade on the them! It comes with three plastic front sights so I tested one of them by shaving a small piece off the side of it and it gives me better precision. I also put a bit of white paint on the front sight to make it easier to line them up in lower light.

So far, so good: My best group is half an inch for four pellets. Full disclosure, I'm still a horrible shot because the other two pellets gave me a 2 inch group equivalent!