Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:32 pm 

Just got my Benjamin Nitro NP2 from AirgunSource. Arrived 4 days after I ordered it, very well packaged (factory box within another solid box). It was on sale at $299, which I thought was a great price.

First impression - rather dumb that, to comply with CDN and Michigan law, they had to strip the insides of the "supressor", but hey, da law is da law! I really have no idea as to how effective it would be in the first place, as all it does is enshroud the barrel. The fit and finish are very nice, better than I would have expected. Scope is not mounted, so that was the first order of the day. Checked the other screws, and they were all tight.

I set up a target at 20 yards and used a wooden table with just my elbows to rest on - the objective was really just to get a feeling for the gun and to start the breaking in process. Fired a few 5 shot groups to get the gun more or less zeroed in. The trigger, as expected and reviewed by others, was horrendous. First stage was good, but travel and pressure for stage 2 were wayyyy excessive. However, I didn't touch them yet, as I want to finish the break-in before tinkering. The trigger was smooth, though - no sign of grinding or metal on metal rubbing.

As suggested on the AGS review, I used a modified artillery hold - the forend held lightly, near the front end, and the butt pressed solidly against my shoulder.

I was using Crosman Premiere HP's, and the pellets went through a 3/4" white pine board, 1/8" hardboard and into a growing birch to the point that I could not see the base of the pellet.

Even with the creepy trigger, the gun not broken in and not resting on a steady rest I was able to get several groups around 3/4" to 1". All in all, I fired about 50 shots.

Overall, I am very, very, happy with the gun. The scope is very acceptable for the ranges I'll be using the gun at. I may upgrade at a later date, but it definitely seems to do the job, and hopefully it will be durable enough. Accuracy is better than expected (at this stage), and the rifle feels very comfortable.

As my experience with the gun progresses, I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 pm 

Well done, Papa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:38 am 

Nice a review without a dozen you-tube links and links to other web sites fantastic ..........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 am 

Thanks, guys. Once I get it broken in, I will try to post more results, as well as some pix of targets. No YouTube videos, promise!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm 

As promised, here is a follow-up to my initial review.

The trigger is still farkin' horrendous. I changed the adjustment screw for a longer one, which gave me a bit more adjustment, bringing it up from horrendous to terrible. I googled a bunch of YT videos on adjustment, but didn't see anything that turned my crank. I tried to get a Charlie da Tuna trigger but was unable to find one in Canada, and they won't ship, so I decided to order the McArbo kit from Bullseye North. Hope it'll do the trick.

As far as velocities, they were quite consistent, but as the number of shots went up, it seemed to increase slightly, but consistently. At the end of the last session, I had fired about 200 shots total, and it was stable at about 814 fps with the Premiere 14.3 gr. HP's., with about a 10 fps spread.

Groups were from .67 to 1.35 inches at 25 yards, but all were well within minute of squirrel or minute of rabbit (sorry, couldn't post pics, so you'll have to take my word for it). Hopefully, the new trigger will bring it into minute of grouse range. I'm pretty sure it will reach that mark easily if the trigger gets to within fair to middlin' range.

I guess I will post another follow-up when I test it with the new trigger kit, and once I get to try it on a live critter (which I will deadify).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 pm 

Papaclaude wrote:

The trigger is still farkin' horrendous..... I tried to get a Charlie da Tuna trigger but was unable to find one in Canada, and they won't ship, so I decided to order the McArbo kit from Bullseye North.

What trigger is in your NP2? If it uses the GRT III type trigger, looks like the one here, then there is a relatively easy mod, aka ETA mod, that works a treat.
post236968.html?hilit=crosman%20trigger#p236968

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 46.56 KiB | Viewed 844 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm 

Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't had the gun out of the stock yet, as I just tinkered with the adjustment screw and replaced it with a longer one. It helped, but not nearly enough.