Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:11 pm 

I was going to get the UMAREX MP40 but no one in Canada had any in stock. So I opted for the UMAREX M1A1. I think it was a good decision although I’m still interested in the MP40 sometime in the future. I think I’d like to have both.
See the attached photos.
One is a print out of the Chrono test I did with my AceTech AC6000BT. The very first shot I believe was an anomaly because it recorded only 353.2 fps and all the remaining were generally in the 440-450+ fps range and the average was still 440.2 fps even with the one shot at 353.2 fps. See the attached documentation sent with the M1A1 which specifies the M1A1 velocity as 435 fps. Generally manufacturers overstate velocities and real world testing never matches their optimistic specs, but in this case the M1A1 exceeds the UMAREX specs.
So far I’ve shot about 1000 rounds through the M1A1 and never had a jam or malfunction and the M1A1 performed flawlessly in both semi-auto and full auto.
The M1A1 uses 2 x 12g CO2 cartridges. The two cartridges gave me 6 full magazines of BB shots at 30 shots per full magazine, totaling 180 shots for the two CO2 cartridges.
The furthest I can get from my target in my garage is 8.0m. The M1A1 consistently easily grouped 1/2” on every target in semi-auto mode, even at rapid fire, and I’m no sharpshooter by any means.
And it’s still decent on target in full auto mode. It might take over 1 second to dump 30 rounds but for sure it doesn’t take more than 2 seconds.
I found a company in the US that has a Picatinny Rail Adapter that fits the M1A1, both the original firearm and the UMAREX M1A1.
I’ve read and seen YouTube reviews where guys have used Feyachi RS-29 Red & Green Reflex Sight and given good reviews for them. I’ve ordered the rail adapter and the reflex sight. I’m hoping I can sight this in to as be consistent at 15-20m as it now is at 8.0m.
Overall I’m very happy with this air gun and I’d recommend it to anyone interested in a fun full auto air gun and excellent plinker.

Attachments:
UMAREX FPS Specs.jpg
UMAREX FPS Specs.jpg [ 165.56 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]
UMAREX M1A1 Chrono Test 3.jpg
UMAREX M1A1 Chrono Test 3.jpg [ 469.15 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]
M1A1.jpg
M1A1.jpg [ 209.6 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 pm 

Here's a couple of more pics that I couldn't add to my original post. One is of the Picatinny rail adapter which will allow aftermarket accessories to be mounted and another is a pic of the Feyachi reflex sight that can be mounted to the Picatinny rail.

Attachments:
Capture Feyachi Reflex Sight.JPG
Capture Feyachi Reflex Sight.JPG [ 118.73 KiB | Viewed 953 times ]
Capture BRP Picatinny Rail Adapter.JPG
Capture BRP Picatinny Rail Adapter.JPG [ 53.43 KiB | Viewed 953 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:15 am 

Neat, however I would not have posted that, if I'd bought one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:08 am 

Daryl wrote:
Neat, however I would not have posted that, if I'd bought one.

Well there will be more next week after I get the Feyachi reflex sight on and I've tested it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:45 am 

nice oz. love it. and dam- i wish i had more room to shoot-- i would,ve got one of these for sure. i,ve got 3 or 4 different types of feyachi red dot sights for my pistols. they work great --i like them .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 pm 

Great review of this classic. I'm curious to see your future test results once you get the sight mounted. Like Pete stated, you'll love this reflex sight. I have 3 of them on various guns and they have never failed.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:42 pm 

So….. I haven’t yet received the Picatinny rail adapter for the M1A1 that will allow me to mount the Feyachi green & red reflex sight.
Two of my “real” handguns already have laser sights and so do my three air guns so I would have liked to try a red or green dot reflex sight on my M1A1.
I didn’t think that anyone made a reflex sight adapter for an older style firearm. I had already bought a ring mount adapter that I could attach to the front part of my M1A1 barrel and use a laser sight again.
While I’m waiting for the reflex sight Picatinny rail adapter I figured since I already had the ring mount adapter I’d try it anyway with the green laser sight from my UMAREX M92A1.
See the attached photos. This is an SMS brand green laser sight I got from Amazon for $55 CAD. On my .40 caliber M&P40 I’ve got a Crimson Trace red laser I believe I paid in the range of $300 USD and this $55 SMS green laser is every bit as good as the $300 Crimson Trace. And being a green laser, it’s even better in daylight.
I sighted this SMS in for 8.0m, which is the farthest I can get in my garage, and like when I’m using the fixed sights on the M1A1, I can get just as good ½” groups and not need to take time to aim. And unlike the fixed sights as they are, being about 1” to the left and 2” down which I can’t do anything about and must compensate for when physically aiming, I just put the green dot on target and squeeze the trigger. It sort of takes away from the marksmanship skill aspect of shooting but it’s interesting.
I’m expecting the reflex sight Picatinny rail adapter in the next couple of days, so I’ll be able to compare the green & red reflex sight with this SMS green dot laser sight and see which I prefer.

Attachments:
M1A1 with SMS Green Laser 2.jpg
M1A1 with SMS Green Laser 2.jpg [ 233.52 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]
M1A1 with SMS Green Laser 1.jpg
M1A1 with SMS Green Laser 1.jpg [ 573.54 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:25 pm 

So….I received the Picatinny rail adapter and Picatinny rail today for my UMAREX M1A1. It was very easy to remove the UMAREX fixed rear sight and install the Feyachi RS-29 Reflex Sight. I had to chase the threads (8 x 32) on the adapter plate holes cuz they had paint or powdercoating on the threads and I didn’t want to strip the threads on the plate or the hex screw sockets threads. I also had to reuse the screws that held the original fixed rear sight on. No big deal.
It only took me a few minutes to sight in the reflex sight red and green dots cuz I had already sighted in my SMS green laser sight a few days ago.
All I had to do was adjust the reflex dot so it was on top of the green laser dot and I was good to go.
As with the fixed sights and the green laser sights I can also get ½” groupings on the target bullseye with the reflex sight. And like I said before, I’m by no means a sharpshooter.
There’s no real advantage to having both the laser sight and the reflex sight on the same gun. It’s more a case of what you might prefer.
Circumstances gave me the opportunity to try both. I had already bought the ring mount adapter to use a green laser sight cuz that was before I knew anyone made a Picatinny rail adapter to allow using a Reflex Sight on the M1A1.
Now having used both at the same time on the same gun here’s my opinion.
The laser green dot is easy to use if you don’t really want to aim precisely or don’t have time to. You can “shoot from the hip” and just place the green laser dot on your target and you’ll hit it.
The Feyachi Red & Green Reflex Sight require you to look though the lens to see the red or green dot and put it on target before firing and you’ll hit it. It’s much easier than using the iron or fixed sights because the fixed sights require more concentration to focus on the target and line up the sights, especially if when using fixed non-adjustable sights, you need to compensate where to shoot, therefore more time to get on target. The Reflex Sight is much easier on the eyes. I think that using the Reflex Sight you might be able to be a bit more consistent but maybe not as quick to get some shots off as you can using the green laser sights. Just my opinion.
I’m glad I’ve had a chance to try the Reflex Sight on one of my guns. Both the Green Laser Sights and the Reflex Sights are nice to use and if set up correctly can make a decent shooter out of just about anyone.
I'm very pleased with how this UMAREX M1A1 has performed. I've fired probably 1,500 hundred rounds through it, and it has performed flawlessly. Never had a misfire, jam or CO2 leak at any time...fingers crossed. After my experience with my first UMAREX M&P40 having CO2 leaks and magazine issues I was reluctant to get another UMAREX air gun, but this seems like it's a good one.

Attachments:
M1A1 With Feyachi Reflex Sights.jpg
M1A1 With Feyachi Reflex Sights.jpg [ 310.16 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]
M1A1 With Feyachi Reflex Sights and SMS Green Laser Sights lq.jpg
M1A1 With Feyachi Reflex Sights and SMS Green Laser Sights lq.jpg [ 416.63 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:48 pm 

[emoji38] have to say the modern red dot sight looks strange on such an old school machine gun~ looks like the 'back to the future' style movies~

Anyway~ sweet M1A1 indeed~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:02 pm 

Ozzie21 - am I the only one who finds your Avatar somewhat disturbing? :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:47 pm 

No, Daryl you are not the only one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:39 pm 

McRobert wrote:
No, Daryl you are not the only one.

My feelings are hurt. It's the best photo I have from when I was a baby......... :shock: