Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Beeman P17
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:19 pm 

Not much of a review, however, I was talking earlier today to a local friend, who also has one or more of these pistols and he asked me about it.
Afraid to say, I was not very complimentary as lately my shooting with it has been dismal, even as close as 5 yards. Well, I just got it out and tried
it again, shooting 2 targets, at 7 yards, using 8.44gr. JSB 4,51mm Cometa Pellets. The results were quite striking. I started off using the noted pellets
and my distance glasses shooting 10 shots. Pulled one way out, however, this is what I came to expect at this close (or even closer) distance. Dismal.
I then made a sight correction as they were grouping to the right, then turned the target on it's side for the second 'group', using my reading lens to
sight. (BiFocal glasses) Both sights (light diodes) were sharp and clear and of course, the target was REALLY blurry. Shot much better, of course. This
simply emphasizes the sights have to be clear, at least the front one does. I redid the test, using Crossman pellets. That target with 2 different pellets
will be on the top. I used the reading lens on my glasses, same as when shooting the JSB's.
In conclusion, I would say these pistols will shoot fine, but like all air guns (& powder burners too), you have to try a variety of pellets to see what they
want.

Attachments:
Crossman Pellets.JPG
Crossman Pellets.JPG [ 212.87 KiB | Viewed 866 times ]
Beeman P17.JPG
Beeman P17.JPG [ 215.05 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]

Post subject: Re: Beeman P17
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:32 am 

Daryl wrote:
Not much of a review, however, I was talking earlier today to a local friend, who also has one or more of these pistols and he asked me about it.
Afraid to say, I was not very complimentary as lately my shooting with it has been dismal, even as close as 5 yards. Well, I just got it out and tried
it again, shooting 2 targets, at 7 yards, using 8.44gr. JSB 4,51mm Cometa Pellets. The results were quite striking. I started off using the noted pellets
and my distance glasses shooting 10 shots. Pulled one way out, however, this is what I came to expect at this close (or even closer) distance. Dismal.
I then made a sight correction as they were grouping to the right, then turned the target on it's side for the second 'group', using my reading lens to
sight. (BiFocal glasses) Both sights (light diodes) were sharp and clear and of course, the target was REALLY blurry. Shot much better, of course. This
simply emphasizes the sights have to be clear, at least the front one does. I redid the test, using Crossman pellets. That target with 2 different pellets
will be on the top. I used the reading lens on my glasses, same as when shooting the JSB's.
In conclusion, I would say these pistols will shoot fine, but like all air guns (& powder burners too), you have to try a variety of pellets to see what they
want.

If shooting indoors, you may want to try inexpensive 11mm/20mm adjustable laser sights from Amazon--under $20 or Ebay under $10 if you can wait longer. I have been using cheap (Chinese) lasers for years with my old eyes and very few have broken down. The replacement LR44 batteries are cheap too from Ebay sellers ( Toronto area in my case)
I shoot sitting with the P17 on a rest. Installed the laser far forward on the 11mm. rail- removed rear sight for more clearance for cocking
Hang a small padded rest from your neck to stomach, open, load and gripping with two hands on the pistol grip press the pistol horizontally in on the pad with a fluid motion to fully cock with little effort. This can be done standing also.
If you want the beam less small, punch a clean hole in an adhesive round dot and place over the laser lens. When sighting in a laser for windage and elevation , use the included allen keys in very small turns and ensure large size backstop in place
I have two P17s- one is very accurate to 21 feet, the other to 18 feet if you want small groups. I use the 5 bull Cibles heavy card stock targets and 5 shots per bull ( scoring is less important than seeing a 5 shot group within a half inch or less.Ten shots per bull would be more pleasing of course
Both pistols like JSB Exact 4.53 or JSB RS.
The P17s produced in past couple of years are free of the issues from earlier which forum members have commented on. Occasionally , a cross bolt may come out of position and has to be gently punched pack in.
Not a 10mm. target gun but very pleasing results at lesser distances.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:29 am 

Interesting. I've never considered a laser "sight". If I put anything on it though, it will likely be a red dot of come sort. I already have a couple of those.
With the 4.51mm JSB's, I already got just over .4" at 7 yards (21feet) with the open sights for 10 shots. I was shooting 2 handed, of course, but sitting
and free hand, no rest. I hold the gun in one hand, open, insert pellet and close it with the other. NP.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:06 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting. I've never considered a laser "sight". If I put anything on it though, it will likely be a red dot of come sort. I already have a couple of those.
With the 4.51mm JSB's, I already got just over .4" at 7 yards (21feet) with the open sights for 10 shots. I was shooting 2 handed, of course, but sitting
and free hand, no rest. I hold the gun in one hand, open, insert pellet and close it with the other. NP.

I tried red dots many years ago , but for me, lasers indoors are more precise. For me, cross body cocking less tiring,
You are doing well without a rest.