Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 16X for HFT
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:50 am 

Just a question for the CAFTA Board.... There are a lot of 4-16x scopes available, and I see that Leapers now have a 30mm tube 16 x 56 fixed power sidewheel.... I'm sure there are other 16x fixed scopes out there as well.... Since the next step up from 15x or 16x seems to be a big jump to 24x (except for a couple of 6-18 models).... would it make any sense to allow 16x in HFT.... :?

If there is a good reason not to.... like International Rules / an agreement with the USA, or the like.... I understand completely.... if not, what do you think?.... :wink:

Bob

Post subject: Re: 16X for HFT
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:24 pm 

rsterne wrote:
...would it make any sense to allow 16x in HFT...

It is allowed Bob. You just have to leave your magnification at 15X and you must cover your yardage markings on your focus wheel/objective. That's as I understand it but other's will chime in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:04 pm 

Bob,

Are you considering shooting Field Target? Not too long ago you mentioned you would likely never try it, but found the sport interesting. By all your questions, critiquing, and comments, it sounds like you may be changing your mind. I hope so.

Regarding Hunter Division magnification limit:
- yes...16x would be something we MIGHT consider in the future. Some of the governors have discussed this already, and realize many more scopes are offering 16x magnification than 15x. As Windbag has said...on variable power scopes set it at roughly 15x maximum and leave it. Simple enough. VERY rare are fixed 16x scopes. Most who have the choice to buy the 4-16 or the 16x Leapers go for the 4-16.

USA Hunter Division Rules On Sights:
Sights:
A. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used, but are limited to a maximum of 12 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater max power than 12X must be turned down to 12X or lower.
B. No turret adjustment allowed during the match. (No clicking.)
C. Optical sights with parallax adjustment (adjustable objective, or sidewheel focus), may be adjusted so that the target is in focus. Range (yardage) markings may be used.
D. No separate range finding device may be used.

UK Field Target Rules On Sights:
NO Scope adjustment AT ALL whilst shooting the Competition. This means you have to set your Magnification and Parallax Distance before you take your first shot. This doesn't exclude any scope at all but does force the use of low mag 10x is about the maximum that is of any use and 3 4 & 6 are popular. Fixing Mag & parallax at the start also means that No range finding can be done other that bracketing or by eye. So expensive high mag Scopes are not an advantage but you can use them (Banning them only excludes people or forces the purchase of additional kit ). Any traditional type scope and settings can be used. However, zeroing, magnification, dialling and parallax must be set prior to the first shot and left untouched until the course is completed, this includes illuminated reticules which if used must be switched on with the brightness set before the first shot is taken and remain that way without any adjustment or switching throughout the competition.

When you compare our rules to the UK and USA rules, you can see numerous differences. We have our own unique Hunter Field Target Division.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:45 pm 

I still rather doubt if I'll get the chance to shoot in FT.... but as I said before I find the sport interesting.... I do have a great place to shoot near here (on crown land and secluded).... and I am considering setting up some semi-permanent "resettable" metal targets (of different sizes) for plinking.... :wink:

It's interesting that in the USA they only allow 12X.... There are a ton of inexpensive 3-12 and 4-12 scopes out there.... and if you can't range find anyway, I think that's a good choice.... especially if you are going to use it for hunting as well.... I've never had anything over 12x even on a powderburner.... (had a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 6mm with a 4-12 x 40AO Bushnell that was deadly out to 300 yards).... The higher you go in power, the bigger the objective you need for a bright scope.... and that puts the price (and the size and weight) up, of course.... :roll:

Most of the competition I have been involved in (racing sports cars & R/C yachts) was cross-border with guys in the USA.... so we always tried to keep the rules the same both sides of the border.... I'm a bit surprised CAFTA doesn't take the same approach (ie limiting to 12x).... but maybe cross-border isn't an issue (yet).... :)

Like Windbag said, you can always set your scope for a lower power.... but for the optimum in optical quality fixed power scopes are almost always better than variables (fewer glass elements).... If I were doing a dedicated HFT rifle, I think I'd look for a fixed power that met the rules.... assuming I could find one at a decent price.... whether it was 12x, 15x, or 16x.... 8)

I really do appreciate the time you guys take to answer questions.... it certainly helps promote the sport.... I'll never be able to afford a "serious" FT setup (and I'm the kind of guy that must have equipment he at least feels he has a chance with).... but with the Discovery coming along and HFT as an option.... I might just put together a rig and see if I can hit anything with it.... and if I'm going to assemble something, then I might as well make it "the best I can for the money within the rules".... :D

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:47 pm 

[but for the optimum in optical quality fixed power scopes are almost always better than variables (fewer glass elements).... If I were doing a dedicated HFT rifle, I think I'd look for a fixed power that met the rules.... assuming I could find one at a decent price.... whether it was 12x, 15x, or 16x.... 8) [/quote]

Just to let you know...the Leapers 16x may be an exception to the rule. Both 16x I had time with had poorer optics than the 4-16. Why? Not sure.