Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm 

hey everyone!

So, the winter blues finally got to me, and I decided I needed a way to shoot indoors.

I decided I would copy the archer airguns silent pellet trap, it looks nice, and works.

So started with an old wine box, cut out a section in the front for where the pellets would go through, and then epoxied on a clip from an old cheap binder type device I never used to hold the target. I am poor, and lazy, so didn't want to buy duct seal. What I did have was lots of carpeting foam, an old t shirt, and a plank of wood. This actually turned out very well, the foam provides near zero stopping for the pellet, but prevents all ricochets, then the t shirt catches the pellets with minimal deformation of the cloth, and the wood acts as a last resort backstop. Also, since none of it is permanently attached, I can replace the materials if they wear out, or replace them with something more heavy duty as needed. So far I have tested .177 crosman points at around 500 fps, and .22 daisy hollow points at about the same velocity, all were caught completely.

I made it so that for targets I could use half a sheet of general purpose paper, so I print off a page with 2 circles on it, and cut it in half, and get 2 targets per sheet. This is just for indoor plinking at very short range, so I'm not concerned with using cheap paper.

Here are a few pics, and a vid!

Hope you all enjoy it!

Some detail on the clip

and the video, showing a demo of the clip, and the internals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdTYIxi35g

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm 

Any target that you make that is safe & fun to shoot is well worth the effort. - that one looks effective enough for a little indoor plinking at close range with your rig set under 500'/s if you keep an eye on the filler & backing material. Have fun with it, & if you are shooting open-sights UNDER 10 Yards, you gotta compensate and aim HIGH, if using other sights, just adjust them up some more & you will tear up more of the red spot.
How was the wine, BTW ? :shock: :wink:
- just Kidding, Kid, - Have FUN !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 pm 

I'mPOWDERKEG wrote:
Any target that you make that is safe & fun to shoot is well worth the effort. - that one looks effective enough for a little indoor plinking at close range with your rig set under 500'/s if you keep an eye on the filler & backing material. Have fun with it, & if you are shooting open-sights UNDER 10 Yards, you gotta compensate and aim HIGH, if using other sights, just adjust them up some more & you will tear up more of the red spot.
How was the wine, BTW ? :shock: :wink:
- just Kidding, Kid, - Have FUN !

Thanks!

Yes, I got an hour or two in today to test the filler material, and after about 50 shots in the bullseye, the foam did start to look pretty sad... No loss of stopping power, the cloth at the back actually really doesn't degrade, just gets sort of compressed... but some pellets were able to roll out the front. Looks like I will have to buy duct seal after all. not a huge deal, only around 3$ for 1lbs at HH, just was hoping I could do it all with recycled material.

And don't worry about my marksmanship :wink: , in the video I'm barely aiming, just trying to sling some lead and show that it actually does work 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 pm 

Recycled, inexpensive, or free, - is like a credo when it comes to potential targets. I like that about your target & that you are testing the limits of it as it is. Keep experimenting with that, & in the meantime don't take my suggestions to mean that I thought little of your ability to shoot. I only mentioned it because i could tell from your vid that the range was VERY close, & put it out as a generalization so that all might benefit from the info that your post will continue to provide.
If you saw my very recent post re: shooting around corners where a 1/2" & 3/8" KZ were shot at only 6 yards with a pump pistol sighted in for 13 yards, you will get how I really see it. ( I COULD have deleted my misses, & didn't,)
'till next time - Cheers, NB - :drinkers: - :tonqe: - PK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm 

Very good work, it looks clean and really does well. The duct seal itself catches each pellet with a nasty "slap" sound. There is nothing nastier than trying to pull pellets out of duct seal. Time better spent shooting...
Much more expensive, unless you can find the materials... I personally use used conveyor belt (thick rubber) hung in thin strips, backed up with 1/4" steel plate covered in 1.5" of duct seal. The conveyor belt stops 99% of the pellet, dropping them softly into the trap bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm 

cool idea bro!!!
might just try that one. you also da man derek

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites