Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: stencil targets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:28 am 

Has anyone ever made targets using stencils? I have had some nice targets given to me but they are either too big to scan and copy or there's too much 'black' and my wife would make a target out of me for using all the ink......I'm thinking of using some acetate and making a close facsimile stencil, then a can of cheap spraypaint and any backing I want.........At my stage of the game it doesn't need to be perfect (my eyes will make them fuzzy anyway), but some input would be helpful..............Thumper

Post subject: Re: stencil targets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 am 

I haven't tried that, but it sounds like a neat idea!

There are also lots of downloadable targets that you can print, and if you use the gamo style the amount of ink isn't really that bad. Tom Girling has a nice selection of targets at

http://www.tomgirling.co.uk/hobby/airgunning.php

Of which the A4 6yd Air Pistol Target Gamo (Air8) might be a good bet. It has 6 full targets plus 2 mini targets to use up space in the middle. I find the gamo style to be particularly easy on the eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm 

Those look pretty good,....I used a Glock "perfection" (man sillouette) type the other day and I really liked it. The rings are actually oval, but there's a LOT of black and it would drain an ink cartridge right quick,- so I thought of stencils..................Thumper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 pm 

Would cutting your silhouette out of black construction paper work? What about black duct tape covering a piece of cardboard?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 pm 

My son does airbrush work (google, Ian McKenna airbrush and there'll be a link) anyway, he has real sharp cutting tools for fine work and there's a ton of those acetate sheets around here. So, that's where the idea comes from. I like the idea of using different coloured stock from the Dollar Store and cheap black spraypaint (or any other colour for that matter.)..........I just wondered if anyone has done this as it seems a cheap way to create interesting targets for those of us on the lower end of perfection LOL.................Thumper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 pm 

thumper wrote:
My son does airbrush work (google, Ian McKenna airbrush and there'll be a link) anyway, he has real sharp cutting tools for fine work and there's a ton of those acetate sheets around here. So, that's where the idea comes from. I like the idea of using different coloured stock from the Dollar Store and cheap black spraypaint (or any other colour for that matter.)..........I just wondered if anyone has done this as it seems a cheap way to create interesting targets for those of us on the lower end of perfection LOL.................Thumper

So the solvent in the spray paint wouldn't react with the acetate sheets, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:13 pm 

It's those sheets they use for overhead projector images....I save them from the college and he uses them sometimes airbrushing............I call them acetate but they're some form of clear plastic. They can be printed on like paper,....that's all I know...............................Thumper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:31 am 

Tried those Gamo targets..........I like them, think I'm hooked..........thanks, John