Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am 

I'm new to airguns, I admit that, but I am not sure how accurate I can expect this gun to be. I know it is a lower end gun, and if the accuracy I am obtaining now is what I should expect, then it is OK with me. I have about 250 pellets through it now, and I am shooting at targets at about 11m. I am using a bean bag pillow on some boxes to support the gun, but I am still holding the rear stock, as light as possible. I do find the trigger takes forever to pull. I am using CTC pellets- tried the CPHP and their pointed hunting pellets, one does not seem better than the other. Pellets are tight, too tight or loose. Scope is tight as are the screws. On almost every target, the same thing. One or two shots may be very close/in the 5mm size bullseye, then the next shot two inches to the right, then one inch below. Occasionally 3 or more inches from the bull, leaving me scratching my head as to how it got there. Occasionally they may group an inch or so to the upper right- I adjust the scope, and it doesn't seem to change or changes in a direction I wouldn't expect. Any suggestions? I have ordered the GTX II trigger, the stock one after awile hurts my finger from pulling so hard on it. Maybe this may help solve the issue.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 pm 

Be interested to know what power you are shooting at and what scope you have mounted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

maxfax wrote:
I have ordered the GTX II trigger, the stock one after awile hurts my finger from pulling so hard on it. Maybe this may help solve the issue.

Rob

Difficult to be consistant if your having to pull that hard on the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 pm 

Still could be the pellet,s. I have found most gun,s to be pellet sensitive. Pointed pellet,e of any brand, are not usually consistently accurate. If you can acquire them JSB EXACT,s are usually quite accurate in almost all gun,s. Also a good barrel cleaning help.s. Also check the barrel crown for an even bevel all around the muzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 pm 

I am using the scope that came with the rifle- a CentrePoint 3-9X40.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:19 pm 

maxfax wrote:
One or two shots may be very close/in the 5mm size bullseye, then the next shot two inches to the right, then one inch below. Occasionally 3 or more inches from the bull, leaving me scratching my head as to how it got there. Occasionally they may group an inch or so to the upper right- I adjust the scope, and it doesn't seem to change or changes in a direction I wouldn't expect.

This screams scope and/or mount issues to me. Can you borrow a proven scope from someone and try it? At the distance you're shooting you should be creating one ragged hole...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:50 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else with an air rifle. My son has a cheaper CentrePoint, which I will try tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm 

Try removing the scope and firing a few groups with the open sights.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 am 

^^^ :supz:

See if it's the gun/shooter, or the glass. Remove the variables one at a time.

Hopefully it's the glass, cause pellet fussy guns kinda suck a little. . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:24 am 

I have a Benjamin .22 NP Trail air rifle (non-PAL) that shoots consistently & accurately. It came with a Centerpoint scope and now I have a Leapers on it but both were accurate. My rifle seems to like the Crosman Premier hollow points. They fit well in the breach and I believe are consistent in weight. You'd be surprised how some brands of pellets will vary in weight from pellet to pellet.

And no, I haven't yet upgraded to the GTX II adjustable trigger but its on my "to do" list. Typically there's an adjustable trigger on a Benjamin but I haven't yet played with mine. Once again its on my "to do" list.

Without looking at your Benjamin maxfax it's hard to say why it isn't accurate. Did you buy your Benjamin brand new or used? What model is it and what pellets are your shooting?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 pm 

I realized that I did not include the model in the post title, so I just added it now. It is a Classic .22. I don't have alot of experience with triggers, but even adjusting the screw for the second stage adjustment, was useless. My Shanghai B62 has a better and easier trigger to use. I checked the screws on the scope yet again and some were not as tight as the others, actually all of the screws on right side were slightly loose, but the mount was rock solid. I was shooting again last night using CPHP and Crossman Pointed Hunting pellets, and it seemed a little better than the night before. Again, I could get sometimes 2-4 to group closely together, then a pellet or two will end up 2 inches away or more. Perhaps this is more of a pellet issue. With the new trigger, I ordered some Benjamin pellets- I wish Scopes and Ammo actually had a selection of ammo to order from. I also had the rifle completely resting on the bean bag pillow, adjusted so the cross hairs were on the bull with holding the gun. Perhaps, even though this is a light shooter, is sensitive to hold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 pm 

I was at it again tonight, still confused. I started with the star targets, hit them all using Crossman Pointed, then used the other target sheet, and with a couple of exceptions, they were all over the place. I still had to tighten the front stock screws and the right side scope mount screws about halfway through. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:51 am 

Max, it may not be the rail mounting screws ! it could be that the elevation/windage adjustment screws are too loose .. this causes the innards of the scope to be susceptible to vibrations thus changing the point of impact almost every time!
I have the same scope & gun: Look closely at that scope you will notice on both - windage and elevation there are little white lines numbered 0, 2, 4 etc. (horizantal lines on the Elevation & vertical on windage due to how that knob is situated) .. the higher the number the adjustment knob sits on - the looser the tube INSIDE the scope will sit & the more sporadic its behaviour.
BUT MOST important !! when you tighten the screws on the scope clips.. make sure you tighten them evenly & do NOT overtighten them !!!
Tightening evenly as in Imagine a small rectangle with a screw in each corner; tighten one left & one right & pref travelling in a diagonal pattern.
Make sure to take turns alternating in this fashion between the rear & front mount clips .. this uniformity will diminish one clip from overpowering the other & or warping the scope tube (overtightening will def do this as well) & then you'll have to buy a new scope ! So proceed with patience my friend :)

Also make sure the front holding clip is not sitting ON the flared part of the scope.
As far as the trigger - one may benifit from a lighter one but ... "squeeze" the trigger NOT pull .. each shot should come almost as a surprise to the operator. Pls note : the closer the target the bigger the adjustments on the scope ... at 11 meters try making scope adj not by the click but by the numbers & then fine tune further with cilcks in between the numbers.
Chk if your barrel locks tight when u bring it back up. Loose fitting or improper barrel locking will drive you NUTS trying to trouble shoot.
Another thing you may want to check is the pellet skirt ! After you have loaded it & locked the barrel **PUT THE SAFTEY ON** tap the barrel open again & visually inspect the pellet skirt .. deformed skirts will def act up.
***** REMEMBER TO PUT SAFETY ON ******
Procced with caution & patience - I have ALWAYS found shooting to be like meditation .. why ?
Breathing relaxed, body positioned in the most comfortable position available & ALL your focus on one little dot .. everything else fades away :)

Cheers :))

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am 

This should be (or already is ) a sticky somewhere in the forum :)

http://www.airgundepot.com/air-rifle-sc ... nting.html