Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm 

Hey folks. So I've been getting a little bored with shooting paper. So I've set out looking into SAFE exploding targets that I can make myself at home.

A couple ideas I've looked into is:

1) The vinegar and baking soda in a bottle

2) cap gun caps packed together in a bottle cap

So I'm wondering if any of you have any other suggestions for making small and safe exploding targets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:47 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316t0TM1EUU
Or just tape some large rifle primers to a board for the challenge and bang.
Match heads, caps, or home made binary explosives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGrouLA-8Y

Be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 pm 

dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm 

Small pieces of side walk chalk hanging from string makes nice puffs of colored powder in the air when hit.

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 pm 

Put the valve stem from a tubeless tire into the lid of a pop bottle and pump it up a bit. Try low pressure and work up a bit. Makes a nice bank when they go off. You can also add some flour to make a nice white cloud. Probably easier to re use the cap if you use some good strong string/cord/line to attach it to soemthign so it doesnt go flying off when you shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFye13X4Lk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:22 am 

blarg wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316t0TM1EUU
Or just tape some large rifle primers to a board for the challenge and bang.
Match heads, caps, or home made binary explosives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGrouLA-8Y

Be safe.

The rifle primers sound like a fun challenge. Does one have to poses a PAL to purchase them?

Cadeau wrote:
Small pieces of side walk chalk hanging from string makes nice puffs of colored powder in the air when hit.

good idea, looks like I'll head to the dollar store before I go shooting next time =)

averagejoe wrote:
Put the valve stem from a tubeless tire into the lid of a pop bottle and pump it up a bit. Try low pressure and work up a bit. Makes a nice bank when they go off. You can also add some flour to make a nice white cloud. Probably easier to re use the cap if you use some good strong string/cord/line to attach it to soemthign so it doesnt go flying off when you shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFye13X4Lk

That's a pretty neat idea!

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks!
If anyone has anymore, feel free to list off! =)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

haha, that does sound like it would be pretty awesome! Though, not sure where to get dry ice from and I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from shooting at it... lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 am 

Jared wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

haha, that does sound like it would be pretty awesome! Though, not sure where to get dry ice from and I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from shooting at it... lol

IIRC you could get in trouble for doing that one. The usual term is "Dry ice bomb" even if you dont add enough dry ice to make it explode. Might want to check with the local police to see if it is illegal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 am 

averagejoe wrote:
Jared wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

IIRC you could get in trouble for doing that one. The usual term is "Dry ice bomb" even if you dont add enough dry ice to make it explode. Might want to check with the local police to see if it is illegal.

Oh it is! I split the seam of a 55 gallon steel garbage can in two! :shock: Blew the lid 70' in the air! Never did find one of the handles?!?!?! This was in Montana, where you can do fun stuff! Closes Police to our home was 45 minutes.

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am 

Plasticine and caps from the dollar store. Take a roll of caps and re-roll them tightly, seal them in the plasticine. You can make any shape you want, I just make lollipop shapes. You get a nice reaction and usually a few shots at each. Plasticine is re-usable for the next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 pm 

BigGoofball wrote:
Plasticine and caps from the dollar store. Take a roll of caps and re-roll them tightly, seal them in the plasticine. You can make any shape you want, I just make lollipop shapes. You get a nice reaction and usually a few shots at each. Plasticine is re-usable for the next time.

I really like that idea! Thanks =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 pm 

You dont need a pal for primers. Be aware, you will have shrapnel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
You dont need a pal for primers. Be aware, you will have shrapnel.

Don't use primers. I was a dumb kid once and took some of Dad's shotgun primers. Took his framing hammer to the curb and smashed a few. Very loud! The fourth or fifth on I hit wound up stuck in my upper eyelid!! NOT SMART!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 am 

I can outbid you for not smart with bullets Rick! When I was 13 I got bored for the umpteenth time one sunny afternoon and decided to make a launching platform for a 30-06 cartridge. Bent a coathanger piece into a little hook and stop, fitting it to the shell, and stabbed the long end into the grass. Put a candle under the primer and lit it. Stepped back about 6 feet and waited. About half a minute later I was pretty much deaf, and wiping blood off my cheek just under my right eye. Guess the brass chip bounced off as the wound was clean... and I couldn't find any other trace of the thing. Just a lot of smoke. Between that and about a hundred other idiotic experiments it still amazes me how lucky I am to be alive. Should have learned from the time at age 7 I lit 3 significantly large firecrackers tied together in a pop bottle, spraying the area with glass. But I didn't get cut then so I guess a similar experiment was still needed. Good grief.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 am 

You DO need a PAL for primers as they are reloading components unless someone gets them for you.
Shrapnel is indeed guaranteed, so best used from a safe distance where they are worth the challenge and will have lost their energy by the time they reach you.

Outdoor target for sure and louder then most airguns, so consider caps as low power alternative if the neighbors will think you're going powder on them.
There's always balloons.