Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:43 pm 

took me all weekend to make this stupid thing. you know how when you get an idea in your head. well inside your head doesn't account for the time involved. haven't even tested it yet. but it works great with fingers. shoot the front yellow {bowling pins} and they bounce up to and stick to a magnet on the wood block. shoot the orange pin that is connected to the block and it goes backwards releasing the magnetic grip from the first pin which comes back down to original position. I might try it later. but it should work. there are 6 rows in front and 6 in back. I had to crop the pictures to get them on here. didn't have enough plywood. so someday I'll have to get more and make a good box for it. it would look better full size but I don't know how to do it. hey wllm where are ya. I think you did my pics once before.

Attachments:
DSCN0532.JPG
DSCN0532.JPG [ 176.51 KiB | Viewed 8840 times ]
DSCN0533.JPG
DSCN0533.JPG [ 414.97 KiB | Viewed 8840 times ]
DSCN0535.JPG
DSCN0535.JPG [ 360.87 KiB | Viewed 8840 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:08 pm 

Nice job Pete,I like it.
How thick is the metal for the pins?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:48 pm 

thanks twister. i traced a picture of a pin onto a electric junction box cover pictured below. they aren't very thick; but they are tough and can take a beating. i cut it out with a grinder. 12 of them took a bit of work . they are $1.09 at rona. I'll try and get full sized pics of it up somehow. i use these all the time for my targets. the pins are close to 4 inches. hard to tell with these little pictures.

Attachments:
Round-junction-box-cover.jpg
Round-junction-box-cover.jpg [ 29.83 KiB | Viewed 8784 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm 

Good job ! Interesting

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm 

pete wrote:
thanks twister. i traced a picture of a pin onto a electric junction box cover pictured below. they aren't very thick; but they are tough and can take a beating. i cut it out with a grinder. 12 of them took a bit of work . they are $1.09 at rona. I'll try and get full sized pics of it up somehow. i use these all the time for my targets. the pins are close to 4 inches. hard to tell with these little pictures.

Cool I happen to have some here.
I used one as a faceplate for a bell ringing target I just made.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:19 am 

if you wan;t a better idea of what I did. find the video of walterglocksmith shooting his colt saa peacemaker. in the airgun gallery. that;s where I got the idea . I made one of them first. it works great and it's better than the cheap thing I paid fifty dollars for from princess auto. {pictured below]. anyway I took the idea of one row of round targets and made two rows of pin targets. no walking back and forth just shoot and enjoy. I got those little magnets off e-bay. they are small but super strong. I sanded and painted them to look like pins and make them brighter and easier to see but the paint still flakes of a bit when you hit them. these are the magnets there are different sizes. I got 25 of them for about 5 bucks. I managed to get one better pic up.

Attachments:
DSCN0532.JPG
DSCN0532.JPG [ 647.84 KiB | Viewed 8741 times ]
imagesLDFAVEBK.jpg
imagesLDFAVEBK.jpg [ 7.99 KiB | Viewed 8746 times ]
smk_knockdown_target_NEW_1.jpg
smk_knockdown_target_NEW_1.jpg [ 333.39 KiB | Viewed 8746 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 am 

I see how this works, and it's a great idea. I don't know if I would have the patience to grind them all out...

I would like to know what that material is that you are using for a backstop, how well it works, and how well it stands up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:45 pm 

Brilliant! That looks like a whole load of fun :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 pm 

lleader wrote:
I see how this works, and it's a great idea. I don't know if I would have the patience to grind them all out...

I would like to know what that material is that you are using for a backstop, how well it works, and how well it stands up.

hi. ya it was a lot of cutting and grinding. that material is just a piece of vinyl like leather. I just draped it over a wooden dowel rod I put in there for now. i didn't have enough plywood to make a closed in box. but i;m going to make one with hinges on the top so i will be able to just lift the top up and change targets or fix anything that needs fixing. i usually use an old pair of jeans with a dollar store cookie tray behind them. and then a plywood back. it'll last forever.

Last edited by pete on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:38 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Brilliant! That looks like a whole load of fun :)

thanks. i finished it too late to try it out but it should work good. when i snap the yellow ones with my finger they shoot right up to and stick to the magnet embedded in the block perfectly. so i think most of my bb guns and pellet guns will bounce them up to the magnets. except maybe for my browning buckmark that i think i can spit harder and faster than. I took 3 good pictures of it and for some stupid reason I was only able to put one up. the other 2 say invalid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm 

This is a very cool idea for a resetting dealio.

Cant wait to hear how it stand up (and falls down) under fire.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:47 pm 

guaranteed it will fall apart a bit. some kinks to iron out. i made a couple along the same lines as this and they are holding up good. the first crude one i made tons of shots ago is still going strong. there;s 4 targets on a piece of wood attached to hinges with a 40 ft long piece of string connected to a wire clothes hanger. i sit on my deck about 30 feet away knock em down; pull the string and they pop back up. simple but fun. these are a couple that didn't make the cut; so i bent the legs for freestanding targets you barely see a mark on these when you hit em. depending on what your shooting.. has anybody else made anything lately maybe we can merge our ideas together.

Attachments:
DSCN0514 (3).JPG
DSCN0514 (3).JPG [ 262.07 KiB | Viewed 8668 times ]
DSCN0513 (6).JPG
DSCN0513 (6).JPG [ 717.71 KiB | Viewed 8668 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:38 pm 

pete wrote:
guaranteed it will fall apart a bit. some kinks to iron out. i made a couple along the same lines as this and they are holding up good. the first crude one i made tons of shots ago is still going strong. there;s 4 targets on a piece of wood attached to hinges with a 40 ft long piece of string connected to a wire clothes hanger. i sit on my deck about 30 feet away knock em down; pull the string and they pop back up. simple but fun. these are a couple that didn't make the cut; so i bent the legs for freestanding targets you barely see a mark on these when you hit em. depending on what your shooting.. has anybody else made anything lately maybe we can merge our ideas together.

I made a re-settable bowling pin target bank....a string runs to the firing line to reset the targets.

I used a fine toothed sabre saw to cut the pins from 12 ga cold rolled sheet metal. I used a 1/2 scale template to trace an outline.

I painted the pins white for easy sight pickup. I use a small cardboard box that is cut to fit around the pins to repaint them right on the rack as needed (box prevents over spray)
Pellets knock the paint off but do not deform the cold rolled steel.

YouTube video showing it in action...makes for good practice for shooting real bowling pin matches with powerburners.

https://youtu.be/mNtERAgnFI8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 pm 

hey rw. I saw that on you tube a while ago when I was looking for ideas I think it's what made me wan;t to make pin style targets rather than just round ones.. excellent job. tough looking too it'll take a beating for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:17 pm 

pete wrote:
hey rw. I saw that on you tube a while ago when I was looking for ideas I think it's what made me wan;t to make pin style targets rather than just round ones.. excellent job. tough looking too it'll take a beating for awhile.

I would recommend using a minimum 11 ga (.1196") or 12 ga (.1046") cold rolled sheet metal instead of a 16 ga (.0598") electrical box cover for targets....will be a lot more durable.

Here are 2 templates to trace if anyone in interested in making pin shaped targets. If you need a tab at the top to make a swinger just draw it on the sheet metal before cutting. If you want to make a stand alone knock down target draw a 3" wide by 2" high rectangle on the bottom of pin...once you cut it out put it in a vice and hammer it over making a 90° bend to make the base for it to stand on.

Right click the images then select "Save Image As..." to save pins to your computer...then open in a graphics program to print out. Then cut them out and trace onto your metal adding any tabs or bases as required. Then cut the sheet metal with a fine toothed sabre saw.

1/3 scale...5" high

1/2 scale...7 1/2" high