Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 pm 

Yesterday I bring home a Crosman 760 (topic71849.html) and this morning my 6 year old shows interest in shooting it. Last night him and his 4 yo brother packing a Red Ryder were pretend-shooting at one another but put it down once their tiny arms got tired. This morning I was really glad that he actually wanted to shoot the 760 on his own, so I proposed he drew his own target, something he often offers to do for me.

Few moments later he brings me the target. Was expecting a couple of poorly drawn up bullseyes. But instead he has this dynamic target where there's a time limit, complete with instructions and all (he's in grade 1 and does a superb job forming sentences). According to his directions, in order to save the cop you need to shoot the enemy within 3 seconds or else the cop dies. How cool is this? He gets the idea from video games I'm sure.

Place target on the trap, give him another rundown of the basic instructions and all on his own he fires away (with me reloading between shots). Good thing the 760 is so light, he can hold it while aiming. And look at his accomplishments: hit the enemy 3 times out of 4 attempts. And all shots that earn you extra points in most videogames. Good thing we have each and every Call of Duty ever released. So much for those that say videogames have no value.

After the easter break he has a show-and-tell at school. Really wish he could bring this target and the little gun for his account. But suspect the Catholic school he attends may have a thing against that :shock:

How neat are these:

Attachments:
Timed-Target-1.jpg
Timed-Target-1.jpg [ 98.95 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]
Timed-Target-2.jpg
Timed-Target-2.jpg [ 79.71 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:48 am 

Joolz wrote:
Yesterday I bring home a Crosman 760 (topic71849.html) and this morning my 6 year old shows interest in shooting it. Last night him and his 4 yo brother packing a Red Ryder were pretend-shooting at one another but put it down once their tiny arms got tired.

After the easter break he has a show-and-tell at school. Really wish he could bring this target and the little gun for his account. But suspect the Catholic school he attends may have a thing against that :shock:

It's nice to hear when young people show an interest in the sport. But they should first always be taught the fundamentals of safety, the foremost of which is to never, ever (ever, ever, ever) point any gun, even an unloaded Red Ryder BB gun, at another person or anything you don't want to shoot. Adults and responsible shooters have an unmistakable and overriding obligation to teach proper gun safety to all who handle any kind of gun. No one should have a problem with that.

As for bringing a "little gun" to school, it's not that Catholic schools would object. Every school, in every place, regardless whether it is Catholic, would have a "thing against that". It's something no one should contemplate doing. The time has long since passed when any gun, even a BB gun, could be brought to any school for show-and-tell. And understandably no one should be surprised or have a problem with that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:14 pm 

:Last night him and his 4 yo brother packing a Red Ryder were pretend-shooting at one another but put it down once their tiny arms got tired. "

YIKES!

I am reminded of the little girl in kindergarten, some years ago, who was expelled for drawing a picture of a stick man with a stick gun. She told the teacher it was her dad protecting her from monsters. The teacher phoned the police.

The Dad and Mom were called and told to go home then - all held at machine-gun point by the Emergency Response Team laying down on the pavement of their driveway, with the black clad ERT member's knee on the father's head while the house was ransacked by the ERT looking for illegal guns.

The man had no guns and the Kitchener Police "Chief" noted the policemen acted correctly.

Zero policy is downright scary these days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:29 pm 

Hehe, leave it to Panage guy to not miss an opportunity to show us his know-it-all side and condescending nature. Guess that reading up on my thread had him reach for his pen in a hurry.
Thanks so much for treating the rest of the world like we're little children without a clue while speaking beautifully atop your shiny white horse.
It never misses :P

Daryl, it isn't as bad as you think. The kids were handling the guns for a bit but not aiming at one another and certainly not running around (even a healthy, active 4yo couldn't do that with a Red Ryder. Not sure why I threw that in, bait perhaps?

Fyi they are well trained in respecting "the real guns" as we call airguns around here. But I just knew it'd drag out the best in people in this forum, so had to instigate them a bit. Not unlike the part about bringing his handy work to school. Which is actually based on a comment you made a while back, where you said you (or a friend, don't recall) brought a pellet gun to school since you were planning on going target shooting afterwards (or so serves the memory) once and the principal simply kept it till after class was over, then was gave it back. Not too different from the times I grew up, where you'd often see kids walking around the streets with their pellet guns. No school staff calling for a lockdown, no Swat team being dispatched, no inevitable expulsion... It is interesting to draw comparisons between the old days and the stupidity that it has all become. Then again it would appear that the more educated they are, they more they get a hard-on for a witch burning.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm 

Joolz wrote:
..., it isn't as bad as you think. The kids were handling the guns for a bit but not aiming at one another and certainly not running around (even a healthy, active 4yo couldn't do that with a Red Ryder. Not sure why I threw that in, bait perhaps?

It must be challenging to have to backtrack after saying something revealing. This makes you sound like the woman who testified last month in a high profile trial that after she was allegedly attacked she sent her alleged assailant a bikini photo as bait. She sounded unbelievable, too.

In any case you did say the kids were "pretend-shooting at one another" with a BB gun. That is disquieting and wrong any way you spin it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:48 pm 

Yup, have to go with Penage Guy on this one, sorry Joolz. You said perfectly clearly in the first post that your kids were pointing airguns (or at least one airgun, a Red Ryder) at each other while running around. Then you went on saying things which indicate your 6 year old son 'might' be watching violent video games where police are killed - where else would he be inspired to create such a target where violence against 'bad guys' and 'cops' is prevalent? It seems to me you are back-pedalling to save face. And I don't mean to be overly harsh, but some re-examination of where your kids are heading might be in order. Perhaps start with looking for more age-appropriate video games? And a bit more focus on bullseyes instead of human-like targets to shoot at? I get what it's like to be proud of one's son. I'm proud of mine all the time. But if he drew a target with people on it... well, we'd be having a little talk. And probably a laugh, as hey, that's pretty weird and has a funny side to it, no doubt. A dad can't be all serious and heavy rules. But the serious side is there and no kid should be aiming guns at people in any form, especially not at a brother. You can come along later and say it didn't happen, that you were baiting, trolling, whatever, but this seems only to make you less believable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:04 pm 

Yup.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:55 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:48 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... B-gun.html

Both my kids pulled their first trigger when they were two years old. Neither of them has ever pointed a gun, toy or otherwise, at another human, or will in the future. I can guarantee it. Their kids won't either. I can guarantee that too.

Please take the comments here to heart. They are not made to denigrate. You OP raised a lot of red safety flags with members, and rightly so.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:46 pm 

I find it interesting that I come here to share something I thought was neat with you, fellow airgun enthusiasts - especially those with children - would come to appreciate. Instead see the typical pointless bickering started. It’s a holiday folks, aren’t there targets waiting to be hit?

Happy Easter, everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:33 pm 

Not pointless. Not really bickering either. The point is basic safety and the responsible parenting which inspires that. And criticism of your statements of fact - the fact that you let your kids point actual guns at each other and that your older boy is using human-shaped targets - is not bickering.

As for easter ... whatever? We had a fun day of plinking for the Mission WCFT meeting. Bit rainy at the start but it was generally pleasant. Lots of good shooting between 20 and 67 metres. MetalMouse's new horizontal spinner proved a challenge at the furthest range, being tiny and rather too firm for all but the best shooters with the more powerful guns. His shorter range (30 to 45 metre) mice with 5/8" and smaller bulls were a nice challenge as well. Some nice guys, nice guns, a good attitude about safety and shared information, a new guy joining our ranks and getting bitten by the PCP bug a bit... in all a good day. Missed rrdstarr there, and folks were asking about him. Hoping he'll get well sooner and show up for the May shoot.