Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm 

Is I had another go at building at designing a micro duelling tree for 10m target practice. I will be building a prototype this weekend and if all goes well i will be looking for a machinist to build a more sturdy/professional looking version. Essentially what trying to do is design with the following criteria. If anyone know a machinist or someone good with metal feel free to message me.

- safe and durable at 10m shooting sub pal 177 (no bounce back)

- modular in that targets can be switch for less experienced shooter or replaced if broken. maybe add some silhouette targets down the line

- compact, I would like to be able to have 6 targets in a 20" configuration that can be taken apart for transportation

- reliable, the duelling tree must work flawlessly at 10m. no boucebacks

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 4.06.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 4.06.22 PM.png [ 127.32 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]

My design will utilize a V shaped piece of metal with the inside edge lined with magnets. Rod will be positioned behind it to which the targets will be attached to and spaced out with spacers. If the target arms don't stick to the magnets, i can add additional magnets to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

hey all. it,s a good idea if you do it right. I made a few small duelling tree targets. one with magnets and one without. they both work good but the one with no magnets works perfect. these pics are something similar to the one I made without magnets. I have some pics of my shooting gallery somewhere in this section. the ones with the x and o on the target are my latest one.. not very informative pics tho.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 6.99 KiB | Viewed 2634 times ]
283046.jpg
283046.jpg [ 73.62 KiB | Viewed 2634 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm 

pete wrote:
hey all. it,s a good idea if you do it right. I made a few small duelling tree targets. one with magnets and one without. they both work good but the one with no magnets works perfect. these pics are something similar to the one I made without magnets. I have some pics of my shooting gallery somewhere in this section. the ones with the x and o on the target are my latest one.. not very informative pics tho.

is your a lean? as in the v is angled. What problems do you have with the magnets?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:48 pm 

hi all. the simple one I made with the magnets is just that simple. it,s a frame of wood with steel targets I made attached to hinges. the hinges are attached to a center piece of wood. I drilled little holes in the wood on each side of the frame and put those little magnets in them. hit the target and it bounces from one side to the other sticking to the magnet. it works good but those little rare earth magnets are strong. the other tree is just a v shaped piece of steel with steel targets I also cut. you just set them in the little pieces of piping attached to the v steel and when hit they flop side to side. that one works great. hard to see because I had to make the pics so small.

Attachments:
Photo0355.jpg
Photo0355.jpg [ 35.83 KiB | Viewed 2547 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 pm 

yikes, nearly two years since I first designed this target but I finally was able to put together a prototype. works flawlessly and produces a very satisfying smack each time the target is hit. Ill attach a larger angle bar into a solid base along with the current tree and build a target box around it but the action works.

The original idea didnt pan out but i noticed the bearing fit perfect into some pvc pipe i had hanging around, and the rest kinda just came together.

pretty much cut pvc pipe into 1" segments, the filled them with a piece of dowl and a bearing. put a target and spacer. Then put the target into the bearing and attached the whole piece to and angle bar. attached the angle bar to a piece of steel and added a wood base and rods with magnets to act as a catch. works well on both pal and non pal 177. havent tried 22 though

Attachments:
IMG_7421.jpg
IMG_7421.jpg [ 277.66 KiB | Viewed 1944 times ]
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg [ 270.74 KiB | Viewed 1944 times ]