Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:44 pm 

There was some controversy over my using insulation as a stopping material, though whenever I shoot at it I never heard any noise of impact and I have seen both pellets and bbs trapped within the first of the 4 layers of insulation I used.

People are correct that it is not a healthy material to use, and is not probably going to last very long, however I wanted still just out of curiosity see how effective it is until it gets shot up too much.

I wanted to do this experiment a couple days ago but I either kept getting home when it was dark already or it was raining.

today, I simply cut up a single vat of old insulation into three squares to create three layers and tied it to a wooden board as a backing material.

I then shot at it with 10 pellets and 10 bbs from this distance:

It looked like this before being shot at:

This is what it looked like when I got back into the garage just before I ripped each piece apart to find the pellets and bbs.

I put on some work gloves, and a regular white dust mask. When I tore each layer apart, I found 6 bbs in the first layer, and then nothing else. I didn't even find any pellets at all.

Of course I am still learning and have lots of practice to do so 6/10 bbs are what I would've expected to hit anyways.

I think I can explain not finding any pellets because the pellet rifle I was using I bought used years ago, and is missing part of the sight, is a little loose in the stock, and the barrel seems a little loose as well, couple that with me not being very accurate yet, and it's not surprising I could've missed entirely. The bb gun I was using is the Daisy Red Ryder I bought simply as a movie novelty.

I will have to do a part 2 of this experiment with a larger target, and probably inside as well because that way if I miss and hit something else, I will know due to hearing the impact and/or ricochet.

My Webly Tempest .177 is supposed to get to me tomorrow according to the tracking, and Wes is supposed to be shipping that .22 under lever rifle I ordered from him tomorrow, so I should have more accurate pellet guns soon.

However it seems that while not healthy for you, it should work for sub 500fps air guns as a temporary solution until you can get better material to use, such as duct seal.

I am not recommending to use this for permanent or prolonged use, and would suggest only using it if you don't have any other options. I also highly stress to use it outside or in well ventilated room.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:18 pm 

That's pretty far distance for a Daisy Red Ryder. Looks to be about 15-20M. It's not because you need practice. Its probably because the BB's went its own way.

I know my daisy buck at like 25ft will do 2.5" where my 2100 with BB's will do less than a inch. They say Red Ryder is really for 16.5ft.

I wouldn't even recommend it as a temporary. Id tell people to use holy socks or stretched out waist bands underwear. Before I would suggest insulation. Even a well ventilated area. The fiberglass will go airborne, and get on stuff. And you wouldn't think about it. Grab something etc. Its transfers.

We got a bunch of guys at the club out for high lead levels. It's not just them breathing. Its them putting gear on the bench, handling it. Absorbs thru their skin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:42 pm 

Yes you're right. You really shouldn't use it.

The main question however was would it work?

It seems that up to a certain FPS it does.

So that question is answered.

I'll post a picture in a bit from the firing line of my indoor "range", so you can see the distance I really shoot at. It's shorter than outside.

The first picture from outside looks further away than it really is as well. I don't think I zoomed out, but I did zoom in later to take the second photo.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm 

Here's my indoor range.

The first picture is just the cameras view from where exactly I stand when I shoot, and the second is showing more of the surroundings. The "firing line" is behind the dresser on the right side, I use that as the marker so I don't need to put tape or anything on the ground.

These two rooms are the storage room and the cold cellar in the basement which are separated by that heavy door, which used to be our main door to the house before a renovation.

This is surely close range, definitely open sight territory. May get a red dot for fun, but don't need a scope at all.

Again, I didn't zoom out, it still looks a little further away on camera than it really is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm 

Cool. Nothing wrong with that. It is warm. Got to do with what we have. We all dream of a 40 yard 8 foot high unfinished basement. LOL