Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

Good day, I received today. My Umarex UX Trap shot and Gamo Rocket resetting target trap. I wanted to add stuff other than targets to my pellet ranges.

I have the Covid boredom, so feel like reviewing stuff. Umarex was ~30$ from amazon, Gamo was ~43 $

This is going to be a on going review. Biggest thing I dislike about some traps is rochoette out of the trap. I have a Do All Outdoor spinner target trap that constantly will have pellets leave the trap. Even with using just wadcutters. One traveled 10M, hit the trap and 10m back and hit my house. I cannot have that happening.

So Ill be reviewing pellets that be leaving the trap, quality, how long it lasts ETC I won't be shooting at it with BBs, nor anything over 500 FPS. I know some spinners will twist after repeated use. Also going to place a sheets of paper around the target, to see fragments and particles better.

First would be the Umarex. First thing I noticed was a good 1/8" gap on the side. If shot on an angle, a pellet could lodge it self in and maybe pry it open after repeated hits. I have a concrete backstop, so It is okay. If you don't, I kind of recommend a second backstop behind it. Drywalling can get $$$.

https://i.imgur.com/rkekTVv.jpg

The steel on the UX seems thicker and harder than the Do all trap. That measured anywheres from 3/4 of a MM to 1.2mm. Where the UX measured no less than 1.1mm.

So far the test gun was the Stoeger XP4 with Crosman 7.4 wadcutters, traveling at 330 FPS, shot about 20ft. I had hit the right target couple times, and had it failed to stick up, same with the center target to release both. I'm sure shot placement and energy plays a factor.

But like I said, this is gonna be a on going test/review. You'll will see me comparing it to the Do all often. Because I find that it is a terrible trap, and I don't like it.

This is the Do All I refer to.

https://doalloutdoors.com/collections/p ... ellet-trap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:12 pm 

I started to get some pellets exiting the trap, with higher FPS guns. I tried it with my Daisy 953. 2 out of 15. I heard 1 hit my HW tank about 7 feet from the trap and off to the side. Then another hit the washer. Also found a piece of skirt in front. They were completely mushroomed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:23 am 

Has anyone modified a UX Trap Shot for a lighter reset?

I noticed that the spring tension on the reset target is stiff.. So if you don't shoot 300 + FPS it barely will reset at 25ft.