Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Quad Target
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm 

Due to Covid and being bored I have designed a quad target similar to others I have seen posted on the various sites. They are designed with target paddles of 15mm, 25mm and 40mm to match the FT kill zones. I have made the paddles from 3/16" plate. While this might be a bit heavy to spin at 50m with a 12 ft-lb rifle it will stand up to the 30 ft-lb gun it is likely to see at some point. Most of it is laser cut. At this point I'm looking at about $200 in material costs to do a set 3 targets. Can anyone see anything I might be missing or not taking into account?

Attachment:
QUAD-000 1-25-21.JPG
QUAD-000 1-25-21.JPG [ 365.27 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]
Attachment:
QUAD-000 SHT-2 1-25-21.JPG
QUAD-000 SHT-2 1-25-21.JPG [ 195.59 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]
Attachment:
40mm TARGET 1-25-21.JPG
40mm TARGET 1-25-21.JPG [ 72.67 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]

Post subject: Re: Quad Target
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:15 pm 

rob g wrote:
Can anyone see anything I might be missing or not taking into account?

The tolerances are too high, manufacturing will cost a fortune. :lol: :lol: :lol:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm 

For myself, I would only be shooting 12 ft/lb guns at the WFTF size hit zones, so I would not make it nearly that robust. I would think scaling the material and design down to withstand 12 ft/lb would cut cost dramatically.

If you plan to use 30 ft/lb on them, you probably have it right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:09 pm 

[/quote]
The tolerances are too high, manufacturing will cost a fortune. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
I had considered putting bronze bushings in the hinge lol.

[/quote] For myself, I would only be shooting 12 ft/lb guns at the WFTF size hit zones, so I would not make it nearly that robust. I would think scaling the material and design down to withstand 12 ft/lb would cut cost dramatically. [/quote]

I'm shooting at these with a .177 TX200 and a .22 FX Impact. I've heard some of the FT face plates don't stand up so well. I have a Remington target here and the face plate is .118" (11ga). I have a swing target @3/16" and can get them to spin at 50yd with the .177. Dropping to 1/8" plate would make them a bit lighter and would cut the cost a bit but would they stand up to the 30 ft-lb guns?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 pm 

rob g wrote:
Dropping to 1/8" plate would make them a bit lighter and would cut the cost a bit but would they stand up to the 30 ft-lb guns?

No way the 1/8 would stand up long to 30 ft/lb. For 12 ft/lb TX, or any other 12 ft/lb gun, it would be fine. The way the target is designed, with the paddles moving back when hit, I think the 1/8 would outlive me if only being shot with 12 ft/lb. Also, if they get bent a bit over time, a hammer and hard, flat surface will take care of that.

Two verticals welded to bases with one stabilizing bar between the bases would probably be fine for 12 ft/lb. I probably have enough scrap around here to try it and make up a 1" centre for offhand practise at 20M.