Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Where does a person begin to look for FT accessories such as harnesses, bum bags and knee rests?...
Are there advantages from one brand over another... TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:44 am 

The Airgun Gear bum bag and shooting harness can be purchased from Airguns of Arizona and Mac1 Airguns. Both have online ordering systams or they can be called directly. The knee pad can be anything from a sports pad (like for running, handball, raquet ball, etc) or from the gardening departments of various stores. Cooper makes some sports pads that might be useable.

Some countries have very strict rules on what a kneepad may do in regards to support to the rifle, but until the gaminess starts here, strore purchased products look to be just fine.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Where does a person begin to look for FT accessories such as harnesses, bum bags and knee rests?...

Knee rests can be found in the plumbing section of your favourite hardware store, in the form of a toilet plunger. No kidding - just ask Pirellip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 am 
Admin-2-IC

Suprmatic wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:

Knee rests can be found in the plumbing section of your favourite hardware store, in the form of a toilet plunger. No kidding - just ask Pirellip.

... LOL .... how about those construction knee pads or hockey knee pads
or skate boarding ...... ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 am 

I made my own knee pad. I used suede on one side and leather on the other. I cut circles of each, maybe 6.5" in diameter. I got the finest sand I could find and put it in a small plastic bag, maybe enough to make the rest about .5" - .75" if laid it flat, not anywhere near full. I left the small, thin plastic bad around the sand to help prevent leaks and you really cannot tell it is there anyway. I took it to a shoe repair guy and he rolled the edges and sewed it for me. It is about 5" in diameter now and just sits on my knee. The weight of the gun forms it to my knee and forms to the gun stock. I wiggle the gun a bit to get it level and then focus on the rest of the shot. It is not attached to anything; it just sits on my knee, leather side down, suede side up. I have looked high and low, but have not found anything that works better for me.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:17 pm 

Mac wrote:
I wiggle the gun a bit to get it level and then focus on the rest of the shot.

Are you giving away trade secrets? or just cleverly planting seeds of misinformation?! :? Hmmm... :lol:
Is your homemade pad designed as such because the rules don't allow a knee pad to be attached to your leg? The reason I ask is, I'm looking for a knee pad of the velcro strap type that I don't have to worry about losing between lanes... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:21 pm 

A kneepad can certainly be retained on the knee by straps or velcro. There is no rule against that and to be certain, I will go over it again, just in case a false impression is being given. Watch out for the 410, it's great offhand, lol. Talk to you later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 pm 

Just rechecked the rules, kneepads are fine in any form, but there are Hunter Division restrictions that do not allow you to use a kneepad or elbow pad to support the rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:07 pm 

Hey Windbag

I just hate the feeling of anything strapped or velcroed around my knees. I never wore knee pads in football or volleyball either. It has become a habit to just put this thing on my knee as soon as I sit down. I had thought of putting a short cord on it and hang it from my belt, but felt we already looked weird enough with all the shooting gear. :)

I have been practicing a bit like Keyrigger referred to, with no knee pad or elbow pad. I've been doing OK indoors, but am looking forward to getting outdoors and shooting at FT ranges.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Parker_101_ wrote:

You'll find that the FT harnesses and bum bags aren't cheap - around $75 each if I remember correctly.

I built mine. The bum bag is fairly self explanatory (shouldn't be more then 6" thick) while the harness is a bit more open to personal design.

Here's a pic of one guys DIY:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/m ... 177278807/

Once you get the idea of what it's supposed to do (take the strain off your lower body by holding your knees in a set position) it isn't too hard to fashion one up yourself. Or you could buy one, but I like saving my $$ for things I can't build myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm 

Good post. I also made my own bum bag and have seen many home made harnesses that are just as effective as the ones you can buy.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 am 

What the??? Holey Crap!!! Start a new craze !!! Bondage at the gun range!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:05 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Here's a bum bag from Pyramyd Air $35USD...
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ry_id=1844
Maybe AIRGUNSOURCE.COM can get them in?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:10 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

That is a great price for a bumbag. It even comes filled!

Because it's filled, it might be a bit expensive to ship, due to its volume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

For the same price, I was looking at Precision Airguns and Supplies' web site and they have an empty bum bag for the same price as Pyramid, but being unfilled, it will be cheaper to ship. The fill can come from shipping peanuts (extremely light weight), buckwheat hulls (light weight), corn cob bits, crushed walnut shells (both are medium weight), and granulated cork (medium/light weight). The peanuts do not last long as they crush very easily, but a cheap bag (bean bag chairs from places like Walmart) will last a very long time. I am not sure where in Canada to get buckwheat hulls, but I am certain where to get the cork, and that is from Jelinek Cork in Oakville, Ont. It is not as cheap as some of the others, but you don't have to buy a 45 gallon bag of the stuff, either. I think it is around 4 dollars a pound, and the average bag will take 3 pounds to fill. Order 4, and you have extra to refill the bag, as the cork crushes down and trust me, all filling packs or breaks down over time. The corn cob and walnut shells can be had from industrial abrasives suppliers, places that sell media for sand blasting cabinets.