Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 am 

Port Colborne Field Target Club
Results for October 3, 2009
By Tim MacSweyn

Mother Nature was smiling for sure on Port Colborne for this match. We had thunder all around and lots of rain all around, but our FT match stayed dry. We had some light rain well after the match ended and that was about it. Our turn out was once again very good, with 22 shooters and five of them taking part in their first match. The match difficulty worked out to a 34T and the wind was quite brisk for most of the day, helping more than a few pellets find the edge of the reducers, just outside the kill zones.

It was just great to have four junior shooters in the Hunter Division. We had one new shooter, Hunter, appropriately named, and three returning competitors. Gillian had a tough day at last month’s match and I remember predicting that she would bounce back. She bounced way back, enough to win the junior division with a very good score. Braden placed second, followed by Haley. Hunter did very well on his first outing and seemed to be having a great time.

Seven shooters made up the adult hunters and three were competing for the first time. Todd, Jay and Jeff all scored well on this first match and certainly could be in the mix for awards in the not too distant future. Four veteran hunters duked it out for the three awards available in the division. Marshall was knocking the targets down well enough to post the top score followed by Rob and Dan. Luke shot well and ended up placing fourth. This was good practice for the big hunter event next month.

In the Open PCP Division, Dennis Leite was hot again this month, scoring his second first place finish in as many matches. The race for second was very close and Don ended up edging Dennis E by one shot.

The WFTF PCP Division was also attended by three competitors. Chris continued his winning ways in this division, posting the high score for the day. Jeremy shot very well to place second and Tom J’s scores continue to get better each match after his move from Hunter to the WFTF Division this year.

We went from no one shooting piston last month to five shooters this month. After some fun shooting a TX200 in a match in August, I decided to give it a try again this month, after Chris had tuned it to a smooth 11.8 ft/lb. The gun was certainly more capable than I was and I managed to win by one shot over Ted, who just happened to be videoing my final shot of the match, which happened to be an offhand shot and we were tied at that time. No pressure. Len had some trouble with the close shots and finished third. Bill and Peter only shot half the match and were doing very well. With their scores doubled, there could have been some different results.

After the match, lots of shooting went on at the sight in range and Bill’s Blackbird certainly drew some attention as quite a few cans were riddled and split in two in short order. With some threatening thunder in the background, we pulled the targets, shot a little more and then cleaned up the sight in range. At that time, six of us headed out for some good food and conversation.

Thanks to all who attended and to the folks who set up targets and helped by pulling the targets and folding up the tarps that were over the lanes. Thanks to Len who helped me set up those tarps on Thursday.

The final scheduled match of the season in Port will be the Second Elmer Fudd Annual Hunter Match on November 7th. It will be a 12 lane, 68 shot match, with the difficulty specifically tailored to HFT shooting. This match was one of the highlights of the season last year and should be again this year. After the match, hot chili and Italian bread baked that day will be served. Lots of hot chocolate will be available as well. So come on out and enjoy the day with us to complete a great season for the Port Colborne Field Target Club.

Results Chart
October 3, 2009

Rifles are .177 unless designated otherwise. --- Diff 34T
Shooter--Score--Gun--Scope--Pellet
Hunter Division Score /120
1) Marshall Doan 96 Cr 2260 .22 Tasco 6-24 Cr Pts .22
2) Rob Billard 84 QB78 Leapers 8-32 JSBL
3) Dan Pusaka 79 QB79 Rex 3-9 JSBE
4) Luke Riddel 64 Qb78 .22 Rex 3-9 Gamo H.22
5) Todd Watson+ 62 QB78 Bushnell .22
6) Jay Leduc+ 59 B30 Rex Cr
7) Jeff Hemming+ 55 TX200 Hawke 4-16 RWS SD
Junior Hunter
1) Gillian Covell 72 QB78 Bushnell 3-9 Diab.Boxer
2) Braden Meeboer 65 Cr 2289 Center Point 4-16 JSBL
3) Hailey Riddel 57 QB78 .22 Rex3-9 Gamo H.22
4) Hunter Leduc+ 32 QB78 Rex Cr
Open PCP Score /60
1) Dennis Leite* 55 EWC-QB78 Leapers 8-32 JSBH
4) Don Irvine* 51 Steyr LG100FT S&B 12.5-50 JSBL
1) Dennis Eden* 50 AA NJC Nightforce 8-40 Baracuda
WFTF PCP
1) Chris Nicholson* 57 AA Pro Target BSA 10-50 JSBL
3) Jeremy Zobel 52 MPR-FT Nikko 10-50 JSBL
5) Tom Jackson 44 S400-SL Nikko 10-50 JSBL
Open Piston
1) Tim MacSweyn* 43 TX200 MkII Tasco CS 8-40 JSBL
2) Ted Gibson 42 TX200 MkII Bushnell 8-32 JSBL
3) Len Joe 36 HW97KL Bushnell 6-24 CPH
4) Bill S. 23 DNF Diana 54 Bushnell 8-32 JSBJ .22
5) Peter Mullowney+ 19 DNF Diana 54 Bushnell 8-32 JSBJ .22
* Set up lanes for the match
+ New shooter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:50 pm 

Wow, a hole in the sky for a great day for the last match of the season!!!! :rolleyes: 8)

"The final scheduled match of the season in Port will be the Second Elmer Fudd Annual Hunter Match on November 7th. It will be a 12 lane, 68 shot match."

Where is this match located. It great to see that more has come to shoot. It was a bad day for me for the final Port Colborne Match, I had car problems that render me transportationless!!! I got all my thing ready just to be disappointed by my car. Please let me know where would this be?

Thanks...ArkBark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:54 pm 

ArkBark wrote:
Wow, a hole in the sky for a great day for the last match of the season!!!! :rolleyes: 8)

"The final scheduled match of the season in Port will be the Second Elmer Fudd Annual Hunter Match on November 7th. It will be a 12 lane, 68 shot match."

Where is this match located. It great to see that more has come to shoot. It was a bad day for me for the final Port Colborne Match, I had car problems that render me transportationless!!! I got all my thing ready just to be disappointed by my car. Please let me know where would this be?

Thanks...ArkBark

October 3rd was the last regular FT match of the season. The November 7th match is not a regular FT match, it is a special hunter only match. It is taking place at the same venue as all the Port matches. The only division will be hunter. Last year we had 18 participate and it looks like this year could top that number. So mark your calendar for a full day of fun.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 pm 

Mac wrote:

October 3rd was the last regular FT match of the season. The November 7th match is not a regular FT match, it is a special hunter only match. It is taking place at the same venue as all the Port matches. The only division will be hunter. Last year we had 18 participate and it looks like this year could top that number. So mark your calendar for a full day of fun.

Tim

So are there restriction to who can enter then? I really wanted to come on the 3rd also, but couldn't make it. I might be able to go to the next one.......depending on what "special hunter match" means, Ive never been out before...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 am 

"So are there restriction to who can enter then? I really wanted to come on the 3rd also, but couldn't make it. I might be able to go to the next one.......depending on what "special hunter match" means, Ive never been out before..."

The word "special" can be misleading I guess. Hunter is a division we shoot at every match and there has been a group shooting in that division all year. For the Elmer Fudd, the only division is hunter. We have a regular hunter class and a Junior hunter class within the division. This is when FT folks put aside their high power scopes and shooting aides and shoot with their hunter rigs. I am not going to tell you that there are not any high end hunter rigs, but everyone must estimate distance to the target, will be limited to a 16X max scope setting, 20 ft/lb of energy and no harnesses or special support other than what is allowed in the Hunter Division rules.

If you are a new shooter, this is the class pretty well everyone starts in. So please do come out and have some fun shooting with us.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:28 pm 

I had tons of fun and i'm really glad i had a better day this time! I'm very happy that i finally bought my own gun, and i'll see you all at te elmer fudd!! :)

Gillian (L)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 pm 

Anybody thinkin' about shooting the Fudd with open sights? :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

gillie12345 wrote:
I had tons of fun and i'm really glad i had a better day this time! I'm very happy that i finally bought my own gun, and i'll see you all at te elmer fudd!! :)

Gillian (L)

Welcome to the forum gillie12345, nice of you to join the community of online air gunners as well...
Nice shooting on Saturday to earn yourself that top spot in JrHunter.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

thank you :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm 

gillie12345 wrote:

Gillian on the forum! Hanging out with the guys now.

Nice to have you on here. See you in November.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:

I did it last year! I got a horrible score but had a great time!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 am 

windbag wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

I think this will be the hardest to shoot without a Scope knowing that AG doesn't have the velocity that PB has and you need to really be good in lobbing that pellet .77 or .22 to the target over 30 meters unless you have a Spring or a PCP that shoots over 1200 fps. Harder if your AG doesn't have a open sight attached. :shock:

ArkBark.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 pm 

CJN wrote:
gillie12345 wrote:

Gillian on the forum! Hanging out with the guys now.

Nice to have you on here. See you in November.

thank you! :) and yup see you then :)
Gillian (L)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 pm 

windbag wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

Think I might give it a go.... :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm 

Hi Guys,

This is to Pumpmaster, I am considering shooting wither my HW80 with a 12x scope or I just might be persuaded to shoot with my Benjamin Sheridan 392 with open sights! Depends what everyone else is using. I'll most likely bring both and decide on the day.