Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 am 

With the nice weather right around the corner I'm going to finally start setting up the sidewheel on my Nikko/EV2.
I'll want to drop targets at ranges all the way out to 55yrds.
What is an inexpensive way to set up the targets? I've tried making frames out of metal coat hangers with mediocre results.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 am 

pardon the crappy drawing, but i'm sure you can figure out what i mean :)

You can make one of these for about 3 bucks. Made from a single 8 foot spruce 2"x4" with a couple inches to spare and 12-14 3 inch decking screws that can be had for cheap if you buy them bulk (i got 5 pounds of them for 12 bucks, probably 500 screws, at the local "discount lumber and window" place). Takes about 10 minutes with a chop saw and power drill, maybe 20 if you're cutting by hand and using a screwdriver. At 3 bucks a pop, you'll be happy that they'll last for a good long time compared to your coat hangers, work way better. Perfect size to pin/staple an 8.5x11 home printed target on :) Also easy to move, weather resistant, and definitely reusable. Regular free cardboard makes a half decent target backing, or you could spend an extra 25 bucks on a sheet of coraplast for extra durability if you're going to make a half dozen or so.

Attachment:
cheaptargetstand.jpg
cheaptargetstand.jpg [ 24.77 KiB | Viewed 1634 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm 

I bought a pack of Popsicle sticks from the Dollar Store and sharpened one end of the sticks so they can stick in the ground. On the top side, with a very fine black marker, I put numbers from 10 to 55 and right under the number put about four or five parallel lines across the stick, down on an angle, quite close together. Sort of like, /////, but turned 90 degrees. I then put out the tape measure and put the sticks in the ground at the appropriate range.

I used the number to see what yardage I was working on and the lines I used for focus. When the lines are real clear and you can see each separate line, it is in focus and I put my mark on the wheel accordingly. I usually do it a couple of times for each yardage, just to be sure. I do this for every yard from 10 to 40. When I get up to 45+, I usually do every five yards first, 45, 50, 55. I then do the sticks in between to confirm the accuracy of the five yard settings.

Simple, cheap and very accurate.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm 

Mac wrote:
I bought a pack of Popsicle sticks from the Dollar Store and sharpened one end of the sticks so they can stick in the ground. On the top side, with a very fine black marker, I put numbers from 10 to 55 and right under the number put about four or five parallel lines across the stick, down on an angle, quite close together. Sort of like, /////, but turned 90 degrees. I then put out the tape measure and put the sticks in the ground at the appropriate range.

I used the number to see what yardage I was working on and the lines I used for focus. When the lines are real clear and you can see each separate line, it is in focus and I put my mark on the wheel accordingly. I usually do it a couple of times for each yardage, just to be sure. I do this for every yard from 10 to 40. When I get up to 45+, I usually do every five yards first, 45, 50, 55. I then do the sticks in between to confirm the accuracy of the five yard settings.

Simple, cheap and very accurate.

Tim

Fantastic advice, thanks very much!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 am 

lol i think i misunderstood....i thought you wanted a cheap way to shoot targets at multiple distances :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 am 

mwjones wrote:
lol i think i misunderstood....i thought you wanted a cheap way to shoot targets at multiple distances :)

You understood me correctly. Your method would work fine, it's just more time and money required than I want to invest. Gonna head to the dollar store tomorrow to grab some popsicle sticks, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for some inexpensive items that may be useful for holding targets as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:14 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

mwjones wrote:

what Pumpmaster is doing is setting up the markings on the side wheel of his scope. To do his he doesn't need to shoot at anythng, just point his scope at an object with some contrast that is at a known distance, then focus the sidewheel until it's a sharp image. The scope Pummaster is using can distinguish a difference between every yard all the way out to 55 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 am 

Went out Saturday morning to do some ranging.
Tape on my sidewheel was still dead on, unfortunately the wind made shooting almost impossible.
I'd shoot 3 pellets into the same hole, then suddenly have one hit 3" to the right, then one 3" to the left :x
Ah well, it was a beautiful day!
Thanks for the popsicle stick trick Mac!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 pm 

That rifle looks great on you!

Nice purchase.

What did you use for a larger side wheel?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm 

Well when I graduate up to field target that gun is definitely on the short list. :supz:

I use white plastic stakes every 10 meters. My range is 50 meters. When my mojo is working I can fairly consistently hit beer caps at ten meters with aperture sights and standing offhand. I just put a line of plasticine on a picket and line up the caps shooting gallery style and put it on top of my hay bales. I recycle the caps two or three times as this gives me a chance to evaluate how close to center I am hitting. After two or three times they get too mangled to use again.

My only scope sighted gun is my AR2078LE. I can hit a few caps at 25 meters standing offhand with it but after a half dozen or maybe ten I get tired and need to go to kneeling. I have never tried the bum bag.

Is the accessory rail on the EV the same size as on the CZ200 or it's Air Arms equivalent? Is that palm rest you have available as a separate component?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:28 pm 

CJN wrote:
That rifle looks great on you!

Nice purchase.

What did you use for a larger side wheel?

Thanks! The larger side wheel is the bottom of a CD-R spindle that I got creative with. Doesn't look quite as nice close up, but it does the trick and it didn't cost me anything.
MAUSER wrote:
Is the accessory rail on the EV the same size as on the CZ200 or it's Air Arms equivalent? Is that palm rest you have available as a separate component?
I'm 99% sure the accessory rail is the same size as what is installed on the AA MPR stock, so most likely similar to the S200 as well (don't quote me on that though!)
The palm rest/knee riser/hamster comes with the EV2, but I do believe it is available seperately for purchase. It doesn't install onto an accessory rail though, it is held in place by two bolts into the stock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:08 pm 

If you want to make sturdy target holder or frames for flippers the steel from those plastic signs you see everywhere work. You know the ones I mean , they are usually for roofing and painting companies and are put at stop signs and stop lights for advertisement. The ones I got are from "mayor Miller "after the last election. (ironic aint it!)They are about 1/4 inch rod covered with plastic .