Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm 

So I really want to make it out to the next cafta ft meet and do some shooting with you guys! I hear alot of good things about field target crowd, I've never really shot with otherairgunners before and I'm sure my skills won't compare but I hear that the ft crew is really humble and friendly!

I have two non pal rifles, an air hawk and a ar2078, I only have a 4x32 scope, I have a Plano case aswell with a padlock on it but no trigger lock. So what I'm asking is, do I need anything more to play? I don't want to show up breaking rules,'I'm really new to the shooting sport but the way I see it that's no excuse.

Also, is this a good match for me? Considering I'm very new I don't want to slow anyone down, as I'm sure I'll be doing more learning than competing. :oops:

Lastly do I need to officially sign up? Or do I just show up in Burlington the morning of the event?

Ft looks really fun, let alone shooting with other ag nerds! But I'd rather wait for the next event than come muddle up the first available one! If someone could explain the general protocol in detail it would be appreciated. I have read the class rules on the site!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm 

Breakbeat wrote:
So I really want to make it out to the next cafta ft meet and do some shooting with you guys! I hear alot of good things about field target crowd, I've never really shot with otherairgunners before and I'm sure my skills won't compare but I hear that the ft crew is really humble and friendly!Yes, everyone there is very friendly and ready to welcome a newcomer.

I have two non pal rifles, an air hawk and a ar2078, I only have a 4x32 scope, I have a Plano case aswell with a padlock on it but no trigger lock. So what I'm asking is, do I need anything more to play? I don't want to show up breaking rules,'I'm really new to the shooting sport but the way I see it that's no excuse.I started FT with a QB78, so your rifle will be fine to begin with. Not sure how much you're willing to spend, but a higher power scope will help you out a lot. The limit in hunter class for magnification is 16, so if you plan on shooting in that devision remember that limit. The scope you have will work, but at 50 yards 4x magnification is pretty tough to use considering the kill zone sizes. Seeing as it's non-PAL you do not legally need a trigger lock, and the gun case you have will be fine. (I still use a trigger lock just to be safe though)

Also, is this a good match for me? Considering I'm very new I don't want to slow anyone down, as I'm sure I'll be doing more learning than competing. :oops: Hey, we all have to start somewhere!

Lastly do I need to officially sign up? Or do I just show up in Burlington the morning of the event?Send Mac on the forum a PM to let him know if you're attending, it's good to know roughly the attendance.

Ft looks really fun, let alone shooting with other ag nerds! But I'd rather wait for the next event than come muddle up the first available one! If someone could explain the general protocol in detail it would be appreciated. I have read the class rules on the site!

I wouldn't worry too much about "muddling" it up, and there aren't really any differences in the matches so whichever you can make it to will work. As far as protocol, just show up with a gun, scope and pellets and be ready to shoot. The best way to learn the ropes is to just come on out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Letting Tim know in advance that you're coming via email is a good idea...
Simply tell him who you are and what division you'll be shooting in.. This way he can order the awards based on the number of participants for a given division.. Tim's Email addy can be found here.. http://cafta.ftcentral.ca/blog1.php/201 ... a-contacts
I've never seen anyone who showed up for a match with or without notice, get turned away..
A good place for you to start would be in the Hunter Division where you are award a point for a hit anywhere on the target and 2 points for a knockover.. Perfect way to get your feet wet.. :mrgreen:

This is a regular match and because full power rifles will be in play, the field targets will be set to drop with 5fpe at the paddles.. I would suggest you bring along your non-PAL rifle that packs the most punch and get in on the fun...

Bringing the rifle in a case is ideal... Bring ammo.. something to sit on... dress warm.. Fee is usually in the neighbourhood of 15-$20 paid at the match..
You'll be able to see the targets with your 4x32 scope, but may find that zoning in on a 1-1/2" KZ at 50yards maybe a bit tricky... No biggie, you can still get a point for the hit anywhere on the target and not all targets are set out that far.. :lol:

Just so you know, any match would be a good match to show up for... :supz:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm 

All the answers I was lookin for! Last question, what kind of Id is needed at the range if any?

Now I just need to email Tim and see if I can grab a better scope for the qb before the match!

Thanks guys, lookin forward to meeting the ft crew!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm 

Breakbeat wrote:
All the answers I was lookin for! Last question, what kind of Id is needed at the range if any?

Now I just need to email Tim and see if I can grab a better scope for the qb before the match!

Thanks guys, lookin forward to meeting the ft crew!

No ID is needed, come one come all. Looking forward to meeting you aswell! 8)