Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FT SCope setup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:06 pm 

Hi Guys
I am in desperate state of trying to get my scope set up properly.
I know something from chairgun but not enough. I bought one Hawke Scope that can zero after you have set your scope at 25y. My other scope is a Viper, that you can't change it to a zero, plus there are no minutes that you can see how hiogh or low you are.

Please I'm in desperate situation trying to set my scope so it will be easy to find range, although I now know that but still have no clue how to set my scope for the different ranges.
I like to buy a scope like in this image

Attachments:
dscn3314w.jpg
dscn3314w.jpg [ 82.52 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

Post subject: Re: FT SCope setup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 pm 

im not sure about the scope in the pic but it looks like the ones in this link http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... t_564.html

that store is really good and they have good prices

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:58 pm 

Biagio26 wrote:
Hi Guys
I am in desperate state of trying to get my scope set up properly.
I know something from chairgun but not enough. I bought one Hawke Scope that can zero after you have set your scope at 25y. My other scope is a Viper, that you can't change it to a zero, plus there are no minutes that you can see how hiogh or low you are.

Please I'm in desperate situation trying to set my scope so it will be easy to find range, although I now know that but still have no clue how to set my scope for the different ranges.
I like to buy a scope like in this image

Have you tried to get a hold of Deon?
Myself, I just use a trajectory calculator and then verify at the range ,but I'm relying on milldots not adjusting clicks..kelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 pm 

Hi Kelly, I already have the Hawke scopes
I bought the Optisan Viper scope from SSSO, but unfortunately you can't change the zero on this really nice scope. I'm thinking to put my old Leupold Air rifle EFR Scope back on my gun, that is one fine scope.

Please advise a little if you can Kelly.
Thanks for all the great tips you have been giving me
I appreciate it very much
Thanks
Biagio

Attachments:
viper8-32X60.jpg
viper8-32X60.jpg [ 30.96 KiB | Viewed 1765 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 pm 

Hi there.

After reading your posts a couple of times I am still don't fully understand what you are asking. So I will give you a rundown on how I set up my scopes/gun for FT.

First, I can't believe you cannot remove/reset your elevation turret so you can return it to "0" when you are sighted at your zero. There must be small set screws in the cap. Find out how to remove it. If in very unlikely case it is not, you will have to memorize where your knob is at zeroed.

So, for scope setup:
1) It is a good idea to check your scopes MOA/Clicks so you have an accurate number to enter into chairgun. I usually do this by measuring off exactly 10 yards from the front of the scope and install the scope on a base that will not move. I set up a tape measure horizontally up a wall, and count how many clicks it takes to move exactly one inch. Then divide that number by 10 and you have your Clicks/MOA number you need for chairgun.
2) Install the scope to the gun you are setting up. Measure the center of the bore to the center of the scope. I do this by measuring the barrel outside diamater and divide by two. Second measurement, the free space between the top of your barrel and the bottom of your scope. Third, measure the outside diamater of the front of the scope, and divide by two. Add these three measurements up and you have your scope height number for the Chairgun program.
3) Install your larger sidewheel and take exact measurements from the end of barrel (or front of scope) to markers at 10-20 yards (one yard increments), then at five yard increments from 25 yards out to 55 yards. Install masking tape to the outside edge of your scope wheel and mark each of these yardages. Of course you are looking to make the mark in the location that the scope is most clear. You will want a pointer or point of reference to make certain you are using the same angle to mark each time. Once marked, remove wheel and make the dots or marks legible with numbers, or have a yardage tape printed as you see in the photo. Notice his marker as well.

I then chrony the gun, and install the velocity and pellet info into the Chairgun program. BC is a little harder to find, but most common Field Target pellets have general BC number floating around on the net. I install that general BC number to begin with.

You will now have your zero and click in the Chairgun program. Then I go shoot. Set zero. Once zero is set, I usually go to a long yardage (like 55 yards) and verify the amount of clicks said need by Chairgun. If it is off, I find out exact how many clicks are needed for that distance and go back into the program and adjust the BC number until the actual clicks are achieved. Then I confirm the clicks on other yardages as I shoot. Generally it adds up for me all the time. Make sure to check the short yardages. There are times they are off some, but not usually.

OR.....you can simply avoid the Chairgun program. Mark your yardages on the large side wheel, sight for your zero (22-28 yards generally) and check how many clicks each distance is actually requiring. You could even indicate the clicks needed on your scope wheel beside the yardage distances.

Use this info and you will be well on your way. Next...learn how to sit still while shooting :-).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm 

Now I would ask a favor of you...

Please let us know how that MTC Viper scopes stacks up against the Hawke. I assume you have one of the higher power Hawke scopes as well?

Which one gives a clearer picture? Which one is brighter on full power? Which one ranges better? What one has more positive feeling clicks. How does the build quality compare, etc.

These scopes are certainly items of interest for the FT guys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:45 am 

CJN wrote:
Once zero is set, I usually go to a long yardage (like 55 yards) and verify the amount of clicks said need by Chairgun. If it is off, I find out exact how many clicks are needed for that distance and go back into the program and adjust the BC number until the actual clicks are achieved.

Very interesting, I've never thought to do it that way. I always find the clicks from the online calculators are out at the further ranges so I do a bunch of shooting to figure those values out.
I'll try your method soon. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:52 pm 

Right...interesting.

Different barrels produce different BC even at the same velocity.

For example, in sub 12fpe power setting the JSB Exact 8.4g are around .020 BC. But in a rare case it was .038 BC, and other guns of mine ranged between .023-.028. The click errors a large when out that much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 am 

Ok I'll get you all the info. unfortunately I'm in Hawaii at the moment, but I'll get all the specs and info asap, when I get home
Thanks
Biagio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:21 am 

Biagio26 wrote:
unfortunately I'm in Hawaii at the moment

I don't think anybody in the history of the world has said that before :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm 

Biaggio, I can help you at the next shoot, or if you want to do it before, we can do it if you want to take a drive across the bridge. The Viper turret can be reset. I have 2 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:57 pm 

OK Where do you want to do it. Sundays & Mondays are the best. Hopefully this weekend looks good.
Please let me know.
The next shoot is toward the end of the month right. I don't know what Maurits said yesterday. I just got of the plane like 1hour ago.

please let me know Deon, we will make a plan.

Great
Hope to hear from you soon, thanks alot for the help

Biagio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm 

OK, I'll send PM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm 

Ok guys
Here is the news; The Viper can set the zero very easy, it's just the turn of the lower ring, to loosen it, and change the zro like that. Old Van showed it to me on Sunday. Very easy.

I like the weel that came with it, it is smooth and the focusing is great. The Turrets are 1/8 MOA. Which makes it super accurate when changing your elevation and Windage.

The only draw back that I see in this scope is that is long & Big, and a little on the heavy side, I love this scope on my AA S200, the gun is lite like a feather, so the scope help in the balancing act with this gun.

If you guys out there that own's one you'll know what I'm talking about.

Please tell me what you think of the Viper

Biagio