Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Air Arms new gun line up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:08 am 

Air Arms rifles
No more Ev2
The new Ft gun is the MPR, palm rest and but hook is optional, or extra parts sold seperately.
All the rifles have a bolt, accept for the s510

There are 3 MPRs that are 10m guns

When I heard the Ev is gone I hoped they made a new gun that is lighter and more like a Steyr style rifle, ah well maybe in the future

Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:00 am 

When talking to the Air Arms rep at the SHOT show it was mentioned that it was kind of an odd marketing strategy to announce the demise of the EV2 before the replacement was ready. I have an MPR FT and while it shoots much better than I can I would have to re-stock it to make it fit me better. I wanted an EV2 but figured the extra $1K wouldn't make sense at the time as I was just starting in FT. I now have a RAW TM1000, and while I really like it I think if I had just bought the EV2 in the first place I would have saved a lot of money!! If they do come out with something akin to the Steyr (or if I actually see one of the new FX field target guns) my wallet may take another hit!!!!

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:34 am 

You can be sure Air Arms will not make the MPR that they market currently thier flagship FT gun. The MPR has been around for years starting years back as a 10M gun then a 12fpe FT model was offered. It always took second seat to the EV2. It is a s400 platform. They shoot great but are not built to the level of the EV2. What will replace the EV2 will be impressive and new. And they will not be using Steyr as their platform goal. The EV2 has been dominant PCP around the world FT scene for the last number of years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 am 

CJN wrote:
You can be sure Air Arms will not make the MPR that they market currently thier flagship FT gun. The MPR has been around for years starting years back as a 10M gun then a 12fpe FT model was offered. It always took second seat to the EV2. It is a s400 platform. They shoot great but are not built to the level of the EV2. What will replace the EV2 will be impressive and new. And they will not be using Steyr as their platform goal. The EV2 has been dominant PCP around the world FT scene for the last number of years.

Very true...

The MPR was out when the Pro Target was still out wasn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:28 pm 

I think the 10m MPR was first introduced in late 2006. I bought mine early 2007. I think the EV2 MK1 was in production then. Pro Target (top Air Arms FT PCP gun pre EV2) production was done by then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm 

Just a couple of thoughts. If a good number of Brits use a rifle, it will win. This is changing, but slowly. The EV2 has been the gun of choice for many of the top Brits. Also, if the EV2 is dominating, and I am not saying it isn't, why are they stopping production? I was very surprised as I am sure others were.

Lastly, I have heard many use the term "Steyr-like" and just wonder why people who want a gun like a Steyr just do not buy a Steyr. I know the price is considerable, but so are the price tags on the other top guns. I probably would never have purchased a Steyr if I had not had the opportunity to use one, compliments of a generous friend. I could shoot it well as soon as I sat down with it and that does not happen often. I bought mine used and saved a bucket load of cash doing so. Steyr customer service is also top notch, so for me it just seemed like the way to go.

Very good to hear from you, CJN.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:58 pm 

Local friend has a Steyr & shoots it TOO well.
We'll see if he shows up tonight to shoot silhouette.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:43 pm 

Is this the MPR you all are talkin' about?

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm 

Guys, I think you might be slightly misinformed. :) There is in fact a replacement for the EV2. It is officially called the FTP900 (Field Target Precision). It is a completely NEW design with floated barrel in a double/split shroud, redesigned regulator, new trigger system, adjustable air stripper, detachable cylinder that can be filled from both ends, redesigned stock and much more...... It was supposed to be released at the IWA 2013 show yesterday. They should be available from May 2013.

I am still waiting on news and photos of it - should have something for you guys in a few days when all the news is out from IWA. I did not go there this year - $1800 for a flight is a bit heavy. :)

Here is the link with the "unknown" rifle: http://www.air-arms.co.uk/news

But for what its worth, a LOT of the world's top shooters are using Steyr LG110FT, RAW TM1000, Daystate GP and new Panther's with modified FT stocks and a few EV2's still around too. The world champs of the past 4 years were shooting these rifles: 2009 - Anschutz; 2010 - Daystate GP; 2011 - Steyr LG110FT; 2012 - EV2. So no one brand dominating the top spot.

Cheers

Robbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 pm 

:D
Looking forward for some info
And pics
:D
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 am 

Thanks for the detail on the EV2 replacement. Will be exciting to see it in person. Regarding dominant that has no reference to accuracy potential. Air Arms is a progressive company who I believe has listened most to the wants of FT shooters by offering fair priced FT specific competition rifles and not just boosted 10m pcp guns and the number of EV2s sold to ft shooters around the world has exceeded that of the other manufactures as a result. The flagship pcps of all the top brands have the accuracy to win if used in the right hands.

Thanks Tim. Hope to see you in person soon. I will get down for some early matches and likely host some up here this summer as well. After bug season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 am 

The only downside I can see with the new FTP900 is the new price. Talk is of GBP1500 - that's $2300 - so probably expect it to cost around $2700 or $2800+. Right in the price of a new Steyr. I will have the Steyr again. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm 

OK, so AA did NOT launch the new FTP900 at the IWA show. Apparently it's still in development and they will only show it off once it's ready for the market - by all accounts in May 2013. But I don't think at GBP1500 it's going to be such a great selling rifle - that's the price range of Steyr and Daystate.

Anyway, BETTER news is the new FWB P800 FT.

I will start a new thread on it separately.

Ciao

Robbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 pm 

globalstar66 wrote:
But I don't think at GBP1500 it's going to be such a great selling rifle - that's the price range of Steyr and Daystate.

Robbie

The EV2 cost $2300+tax here right now, I don't think a few hundred more is going to scare people off of a new model, especially given the wide use and success of the EV2 over the years of its production...

Or the majority of Air Arms guns for that matter...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:18 pm 

Ok
Form what I can gather, the FT900 is the be all and end all of AA.

I don't really care what it is, Ijust bougt an EV2, like 6 weeks ago. I have said this before, I don't like my EV, I love it more than any other airgun in my safe. I like the Steyrs and the TM1000, BUT I like my EV2 alot.

If I might buy another airgun, it will likely be a Steyr

I hope the FT900 is a great gun, but if it is 3K, I rather buy a Steyr

Biagio :D