Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:46 pm 

It looks like everyone wants to fit in as much FT as possible before winter hits, so we decided to have another match in just two weeks. If you haven't been out to a shoot yet and don't have a rifle, come out anyway and borrow a gun. For those of you with a foster fitting on your PCP gun, I'll have my HPA tank there for refills. We will start setting up at 8:30, do some sighting in and try to start the match by 10:00. Please read the safety rules at the bottom of this email.

The match fee will be $10. If it is your first match, you shoot for free. If you've been shooting with us before but bring someone new out to shoot, you and the novice shoot for free.

As usual, we will have 10 lanes with a total of 60 shots and we will toss in a standing and a kneeling lane. If you're bringing targets, please have them freshly painted (faceplates and KZs should be contrasting colours). We'll toss in a 3/8" target so those of you who didn't go to the Nationals can see what made us cry! (I've attached the Nationals match report in case you're curious about the gear being used.) We're also going to try to make a target "shelter" so there'll be some dark shade.

We had Hunter Division as an option last time and it seemed to work out quite well. For those of you in Hunter Division we'll be using the CAFTA rules where hits on the faceplate score 1 point and a knock down scores 2 AND you cannot use the scope's parallax adjustments to help with range finding. If you have range markings on your parallax wheel/knob please cover them up with electrical or painters tape. Hunter Division is an especially good choice if you have a sub-500FPS gun. You can find the detailed CAFTA rules at: http://caftacentral.com//index.php/cafta/

In addition to your gun and pellets please bring along a pen, clipboard , stopwatch and something to sit on for the many seated shots. If you want to do sighting in please bring along a carton with targets attached. If you cut a couple of holes in the carton on one side near the bottom, you can run a string through the holes and then pull the target closer to you to check your elevation settings without needing a cease fire for everyone. We have a trick for how to turn the plastic carboard election signs into free standing paper target holders - if you have one, bring it along and we'll share the secret.

There will be a couple of airguns that people can borrow, and a growing number of fancy FT rifles for people to check out. Just let me know if you need to borrow a gun in advance.

You'll want to check out www.oshoot.ca as one of the local shooters has started a local airgun store. It may also be possible to pick up supplies at future shoots!!

If you are bringing a PAL gun with you, remember your firearms licence.

I have added yet a few more hopefully helpful links to the page at http://www.firearmstraining.ca/ft.html

For those who are still struggling with windage and elevation on the longer targets (i.e., everybody), check out An easy read about a complicated subject.

http://www.shebbearshooters.co.uk/files ... f_wind.pdf

The location is about six minutes south east of the Limoges exit on the 417 or south west of Casselman.

GENERAL GUN HANDLING SAFETY

- NEVER point your gun at anyone and ALWAYS treat your gun as being loaded at ALL times.

- ALWAYS be aware of where your muzzle is pointing, if you have difficulty getting up from a prone shot without waving your gun around, please ask another member of your group to help you.

- If you have a magazine fed rifle, please remove the magazine between shooting lanes.

- If you have a Break Barrel rifle, please break the barrel to show it’s safe. Similarly if you have an underlever rifle, please crack the underlever while carrying the gun.

- Please do NOT rest your muzzle on your foot and please don’t carry your gun using the scope as a carry handle.

- Do not load your rifle or even look through the scope ANYWHERE except across a designated firing line.

- Most importantly, if you see someone being unsafe, politely point it out to them. THOSE WHO CANNOT SAFELY HANDLE FIREARMS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE.

- While you’re shooting the course, we operate a BUDDY MARSHALING system. That means that everyone on the course is a safety marshal, not just the people wandering around with florescent jackets on.

- it’s YOUR responsibility to make sure that everyone in your group stays safe.

- If you’re in ANY doubt at all, please ask one of the Marshals.

STOPPAGES

- If you hear a SINGLE blast on a whistle or air horn it means CEASE FIRE immediately. If you have a loaded gun, please point it across the firing line and discharge it safely into the ground.

- Remember, We’re ALL responsible for safety, so please make sure that everyone in your group is aware of a cease fire and that the groups to your left and right are also aware.

- While a cease fire is on, please DO NOT look through your scope or shoulder your rifle for ANY reason - lay it down.

- Two blasts of a whistle or horn mean that it’s safe to continue – Again, make sure everyone in your group and in the groups around you are aware of this.

- DO NOT Under any circumstances cross a firing line – if there is a problem, find a roving marshal and tell them what the problem is, they’ll be happy to help you.

- If you’re a spectator, please have consideration for those shooting the competition, and please do not approach or distract shooters (e.g. loud talking) while they’re taking a shot.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yay!

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 pm 

I have not been able to attend any of the shoots this year. I did not lose interest and plan on attending next season for sure. My company lost its biggest contract to another company and it forced me back to what I used to do. I have been working in Alberta in the Oil Sands and just have not had the time to attend this year. I do plan on buying myself a new quality gun sometime in the future. I see BJP has bought a TX200. I am torn between that and a HW97 but I am leaning towards the TX200 MKIII as they seem to shoot great right out of the box.
Anyhow, I hope you are all having fun and I hopefully am able to attend next season.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

If you are looking for a new HW97, better start looking now. Seems to have a shortage of them around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 pm 

I just picked up a TX200 Mark III and I am vbery happy with it. I tried dhb's HW97 and while it's a fine gun I prefer the Air ArmsYou can't go wrong with either. Looking forward to Sunday.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:35 pm 

I recently looked at the results for a big British HFT competition and going down the equipment list of the top twenty or so it seemed that the HW and the AA alternated placings. In terms of competition capability they seem to be equals.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 pm 

Here are a few pics of the beautiful day we had.

Attachment:
Dscf0223.jpg
Dscf0223.jpg [ 416.88 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0224.jpg
Dscf0224.jpg [ 303.62 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0226.jpg
Dscf0226.jpg [ 475.27 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 pm 

Attachment:
Dscf0227.jpg
Dscf0227.jpg [ 482.41 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0228.jpg
Dscf0228.jpg [ 485.88 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0229.jpg
Dscf0229.jpg [ 482.3 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm 

Attachment:
Dscf0232.jpg
Dscf0232.jpg [ 492.08 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0231.jpg
Dscf0231.jpg [ 481.36 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0230.jpg
Dscf0230.jpg [ 448.42 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm 

Attachment:
Dscf0235.jpg
Dscf0235.jpg [ 469.83 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0234.jpg
Dscf0234.jpg [ 491.47 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Attachment:
Dscf0233.jpg
Dscf0233.jpg [ 445.93 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm 

The sunny, warm weather made for a perfect day of shooting. The new FT course setup proved to be quite challenging. The wind was gusting up to 25kph and with the new layout directions of fire covered about a 270 degree arc. The variable directions of fire really tested people's wind doping abilities. After a year of all lanes facing in one direction, people welcomed the challenge. The wooded lanes gave some shade and targets on trees finally had people aiming above horizontal. The uneven ground on a few lanes added another challenge as everyone is accustomed to nice level ground. We even put in a 3/8" reducer to give folks a taste of the Nationals (don't worry the other tiny reducers that I have been holding in reserve will be drilled out to a WFTF legal 15mm and 25mm). The Troyer difficulty factor for the match was about 33, which probably makes it our toughest match of the summer. From lane 1 to 15 was about a 400m walk, so we even got some exercise!

WFTF PCP
Dave 44
Brian 26
Sylvain 24
John 20

WFTF Piston
James 11 (with a sub-500 HW97!)

Hunter Piston
Todd 67
Duncan 47
Kevin 46

Open Piston
Jim 20

Roland of NBO Airguns dropped by with an appropriately noisy Canadian-legal Marauder and shoot along for fun to see what FT was all about. From what I saw, he should be a contender in Hunter Division next season...

Lane 1

Lane 2

Lane 3 & 4

The guys were enthusiastic about the wooded lanes and we'll be adding more and extending some of the five we already have next Sunday.

Thanks for posting the above photos Sylvain. FYI, Brian just had a flashback to Children of the Corn and couldn't help posing for a photo (we didn't actually have targets mid-cornfield). When Brian wasn't standing around in the corn field, he did a great job of converting a Gamo target to side-folding and making the orange bird faceplate for it that you see above.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor