Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm 

Hi, Jon in Kingston here. I have expressed interest (mostly to myself and the few airgun dealers in town) that I would like to start a shooting club. Thinking pistols only at present. Problems that arise are common I'm sure. Certainly, location is of central and not easily solved importance. Thought perhaps I should approach local law enforcement initially to gauge support but the where is still a big issue.
I am an old timer who also shot under Dominion Marksman and have been target shooting for over 50 years. Still have my original Crosman 157 I love it and have a good collection of air pistols. I'd like pursue the idea of getting a club going. I ask for any and all input of any nature that might help in addressing this issue.
My email is durango_kid_@hotmail.com if anyone happens to have some print material to forward. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from some of those more organizationally inclined.

Jon Sr. (Durango is an old cowboy hero of mine from considerably back in the day)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 pm 

Giving us your location would help us to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 pm 

FRANK wrote:

He says he's from Kingston in his post.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm 

Jon, I don't know if the local constabulary would encourage or discourage an air pistol shooting club. They ought to because it provides a place to safely shoot. Location is a big bugaboo. Perhaps if you posted in local social media pages about what you are aiming to do, a local landowner who shares your interest might become aware and help out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:38 pm 

If you start the airgun club, let me know...I'm in Napanee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 am 

Hi Jon,

There is an excellent gun club in Kingston just north of town, Frontenac Rifle and Pistol club, URL to the club below:

http://www.frpc.ca/

They have both indoor and outdoor facilities. I did a contract in Kingston a few years ago and there was a lady in the club who turned out to be one of the countries best air pistol shots, Pat Bouley who ran air gun on Sunday mornings and I trained with her. The club seems pro airgun so I think they would be interested in setting something up for field target.

Contact the club executives and ask them what they think. Hope this helps....

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am 

Barfman wrote:
FRANK wrote:

He says he's from Kingston in his post.

He added that after. or I just did not see it. But I read post a few times.

Well I have the land to make a FT shoot but I'm too far from you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:06 am 

Hi Jon,

We just went through this process (successfully) in Toronto and here are some key points:

You will have a hard time if you want to shoot PAL in your own range as you will need to create a range that is approved by the CFO even though it is airgun.

Even if you want to go non-PAL within municipal boundaries double check the by-laws but I bet it will prohibit discharge of airguns in city limits unless in an "approved facility". This would not necessarily mean CFO approval for sub PAL but zoning and planning approval and approval fro use by the land lord etc. 10-1 it would only happen in a non-residential zoned area. In TO there are archery clubs who run out of church basements and community centres and school gyms and they are under the same municipal constraints as airguns. Find one and see how they got in business. I would think property owners/operators would be more concerned still about airguns fro wild fire or ricochets and property damage than by arrow (however right or wrong their logic may be)

If you want to go PAL (and most prospective members will say call me if you can shoot PAL and I will join but sub PAL no thanks) and not in your own facility and in municipal limits you will most likely need to find an active range and negotiate a night/day/time when you club can have leased use of the facility or parts thereof. If you find one you will need to incorporate as a Not-for-profit "club" and also will most likely have to have the club and each member join CSSA or a similar organization that offers shooting related insurances fro the club/executive and members - this would be a requirements of the range management as a result of the requirements of the CFO placed on them to operate a range.

You will need to write a constitution and a club safety plan and member/guest training program. If you get some real legs we can share all our material with you so you don't have to re-invent the wheel. I can also show you our first year go/no go budget etc. We have a great deal on rent and I would hope you can find something comparable.....

When we were starting up we were lucky to have a range on offer to us and we knew the rent so we could set a lower limit of committed i.e. paying and not hedging members to ensure we could get at least 75% of the years budget covered day one and hope for more members once it was real...this number was set at the equivalent of 20 memberships at 250 each. We were blessed to have enough members will to commit as "founding members" and we had great generous sponsorship to enable us to pull the trigger on the whole process...incorporate, join CSSA and sign a lease. You will find lots who say "great idea and let me know when you are open fro business and I can then join up and play".... you need folk willing to put out the seed money to get it going and I am sure they exist around you as they did in GTA. many will also say I may join once I here where you are when you shoot and how much it costs.... you can set the fee ahead of the rest but.... you will need to find the risk takers to get it going. the more info you can gather before asking for founding members the better so the more leg work you do on your own or with a few folks helping the better then you can go public with a real plan... pending enough day one commitment.

All the best to your and those who join you in this effort and let me know if GTAC can help at all in anyway.

http://www.torontoairgunclub.org/

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 pm 

Being in Kingston have you checked with the Base. They have a range and may be interested in helping. Just an Idea.