Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:22 pm 

i have a 12 year old daughter, who currently shoots small bore rifle, but is really keen to get into FT. she finds the paper punching a bit boring at times.
any suggestions on where to start- we live on the queen charlotte islands, northern BC.( north of vancouver island)
i am thinking of something in the used market, ideally i would like to get her to a shoot, so that she can try a range of rifles, and we can best make the best decision. but its quite far to go anywhere from here- so we need to maximise our trips off island

but any and all suggestions and help welcome

many thanks
wayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:47 pm 

Not sure where to shoot in your neck of the woods but as a starter gun you can't go wrong with an Air Arms MPR400FT. The stock is a bit on the short side so it fits younger/smaller shooters quite well and has all the accuracy needed to hit targets ! It's a PCP gun so it's a bit more expensive to keep filled (you'll need a tank or pump) but they shoot very smooth. If she/you prefer a springer look at the Air Arms TX200 or Weihrauch line of guns.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:20 pm 

Or as I pointed out here in response to the same question topic66970-90.html - you might consider the AirForce Edge:
http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Airforce/
A few hundred dollars less than the AA rifle. Perhaps not as pretty, but you could always add wooden furniture later.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm 

yea sorry guys , i am new to this whole forum thing, so as i am finding my way around, i found more appropriate places to place the post, so hence the similar post on two different places- sorry- bit of a techno peasant!! :lol:

i have been looking around at all the different brands, and the air arms do look really good, and being brno/cz , i do trust their quality.
we were looking at a FWb300s, but as good a rifle as they are- they just seemed so heavy- just too heavy for her.

what is the air arms T200 like?
she is a tall 12/13 year old, and very athletic( read skinny :mrgreen: ), she shoots with an adult size .22 rifle right now- and its maybe just a spot too long in the length of pull for her.

we would have to travel to the lower mainland( greater vancouver area!!) for her to compete- which we could do a few times a year- but she would be able to sheet everyday at home here- very rural on the islands!

i just feel if i buy used i can buy more gun for the same dollar. funds are not limitless, but i do want to buy sensibly.

thanks guys
wayne
i will look into those suggestions - thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:53 pm 

The Edge is a pretty nice gun and shoot fairly well. I have shot one and would find it very difficult to shoot FT with. It is difficult to get comfortable with in a seated position. The guns more often used in FT, such as those suggested by BJP, fit better and have power more appropriate for FT.

If you go to one of the shooting days at Mission, there should be a real variety of guns to see. Most folk will let you try their guns and you could probably see everything from 2240s to a Steyr FT gun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:03 am 

I would recommend either a AA s200 or a AA MPR. FT. both are light and suitable for her.
I own both myself the MPR is the better gun and would take her a long way ,but it is way more money.
The AA s200 is the CZ and is very accurate ..about55 good shots per fill
the Mpr is pure english Air Arms with a bigger shot count..good luck..kelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 am 

taht has been my leaning of late Kelly, the s200 seems like a great little rifle- but the 400 mpr ft really looks like a super gun, and would last her a long time, as you said!
now just gotta find a well priced used one. and with the possibility of changing out from open sights to scope- she could shoot in both target and FT- not ideal to be changing gear back and forth- but it would sure keep her busy :lol:
thanks
wayne