Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Pellets
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:51 pm 

Is there anything in the rules to say you have to use the same pellets (make/weight etc) throughout in FT? I don't see anything in the pdf that was linked in the monopod question thread, just what they have to be made from.

Post subject: Re: Pellets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:26 am 

I haven't seen anything about pellets being switched. Interesting. I'm wondering if you're thinking of going to a lighter pellet for the more distant targets, to avoid holdover changes to some extent. I'd expect zero to change not just in terms of drop but also in horizontal drift... might be more trouble than it's worth. Just guessing at the point of your question of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:59 pm 

Your line of thought is exactly where I started with the idea: to have the same scope view and point of impact at different ranges. However (I have been screening loads of different pellets through a new rifle), the latest thought is heavier Barracuda for long range and lots of hold over as they seem the most accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:53 am 
Supporting Member 2009

As long as you don't exceed the power limits (12fpe for WFTF and 20fpe for Open) you can switch your pellets 'on the fly'.

I've never heard of anyone doing this before - it's an interesting concept, but I'm doubtful it's practical - often the POI will change horizontally, and typically when switching pellets, a period of 'break in' or 'leading' (or cleaning the barrel) is required before optimal accuracy is achieved. This information comes from one of Jim Tyler's (a writer for Airgun World) empirical tests.

So the process of testing different pellets isn't as easy as shooting 10 of one type, then shooting 10 of another! You really should clean the barrel between tests, then you have to shoot x(?) number of pellets to allow the barrel to 'lead in' to that different pellet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am 

I thought you had to use the pellets you crono your gun with at a match. There is a spot on the score card for the pellet used for the match.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:36 pm 

Just had a look see at a posting by Tim on FT Central. Here is an excerpt:-

Important Notes regarding the Match
Timers will be used on all lanes The timer format will consist of 60 seconds of ‘preparation time’ once you address the first target (when your bum hits the bag, or you shoulder your rifle for standing shots or kneel down for kneeling shots, plus 60 seconds for each target. Thus a 3 target lane allows for 7 minutes.
A maximum 20 ft/lb limit with the pellet you are using will be enforced in Open and Hunter Divisions
A maximum 12 ft/lb limit with the pellet you are using will be enforced in WFTF Divisions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

pirellip wrote:
As long as you don't exceed the power limits (12fpe for WFTF and 20fpe for Open) you can switch your pellets 'on the fly'.

So if you switch pellets, you must ensure that all the different pellets you're using is below the power limits. The wording of that rules is specifically in there to ensure shooters don't chrono with 1 pellet and then shoot with another.

It sounds like common sense, but a few years ago at the WFTF Worlds a shooter was caught chronographing his rifle with 1 pellet, then shooting with another (that exceed the 12fpe rule) he was caught on day 1, given a warning, then was stupid enough to try it again on the 2nd day! Imagine traveling all that way and spending lotsa $$ just to get thrown out for cheating!? crazy.

topher1266 wrote:
I thought you had to use the pellets you crono your gun with at a match. There is a spot on the score card for the pellet used for the match.

That's more for data collection that anything else. If you spill your tin of pellets and start using your shooting partners, your score will still count (as long as you stay within the power limit) Same with sharing a rig (as long as you use it in the same class i.e. can't use an Open rig to shoot WFTF) I've shared my rig at a previous CDN Nats, and also used another rig at a US Nats when mine went loopy.

Interesting conversation, but I VERY much doubt that someone will be able to develop a shooting strategy that uses different pellets, and is able to start winning... consider this a challenge! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:49 pm 

pirellip wrote:
I VERY much doubt that someone will be able to develop a shooting strategy that uses different pellets, and is able to start winning... consider this a challenge! :wink:

So do I - and it was my idea! I will explore the "challenge" a bit further though...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 pm 

Well I'll simplify the rule. At a HAHA match you use the pellet you start the match with and write on your score sheet at the start no mid match switching. Therefore these are the pellets shooters state as being the ones that their gun shoots at the proper fpe limits per class. Seams simple enough now.
Now that it's been put out there we should get a CAFTA ruling?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

topher1266 wrote:
Now that it's been put out there we should get a CAFTA ruling?

Let's talk about it at the next Port match!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:43 am 

pirellip wrote:
So the process of testing different pellets isn't as easy as shooting 10 of one type, then shooting 10 of another!

Hmmm...well that's pretty much what I have been doing!
pirellip wrote:
You really should clean the barrel between tests, then you have to shoot x(?) number of pellets to allow the barrel to 'lead in' to that different pellet.

I'm not really keen on doing that. I did use a 22LR kit to clean it when it was new (although I had already fired it a good few times so it was probably pointless by then) but didn't feel comfortable pushing metal rods through my nice new barrel even if they were aluminium and brass. I have always been of the school of thought that airguns don't normally need cleaning and yet to see one suffer for it. Drop of oil on the barrel hinge once a year and that's my cleaning and maintenance done...!

Anyway, I came down to H&N FT and JSB Jumbo Exact Heavy as the pellets it appears to like the most. Possibly heavier Barracuda at longer range too as mentioned. I bought a few hundred H&N that have been used up then tried the JSB again and thought maybe they were slightly better so now have a thousand or so of those that I will stick with for now and see how it goes. When they are done I will re-assess (and maybe play around with the different pellets/ranges again just to annoy Chris... :lol: ).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:34 am 
Supporting Member 2009

DDtank wrote:
pirellip wrote:
You really should clean the barrel between tests, then you have to shoot x(?) number of pellets to allow the barrel to 'lead in' to that different pellet.

I'm not really keen on doing that. I did use a 22LR kit to clean it when it was new (although I had already fired it a good few times so it was probably pointless by then) but didn't feel comfortable pushing metal rods through my nice new barrel even if they were aluminium and brass. I have always been of the school of thought that airguns don't normally need cleaning and yet to see one suffer for it. Drop of oil on the barrel hinge once a year and that's my cleaning and maintenance done...!.

NEVER USE METAL!! a Crown Saver is what you should use: http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/jl-crown-saver-p/jlcs.htm There's a few different types, you could even make your own, but 90% of the FT shooters I see when traveling around use the Crown Saver - one lasts at least a few years, buy a spare and you'll be good for a long time.

As for the frequency of cleaning... well... it depends. I own a springer that goes from .6"OD groups at 55 yards to a 2" shotgun pattern after about 200 shots, another one of mine has been shooting the same tiny groups for I don't know how many (thousands probably) of shots - I won't clean it until it starts opening up.