Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: TX 200 which one to get
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm 

am an open guy but want a springer to play with a bit

no ft stock until 2021 or 2022 but just want to play

thinking of resale down the road so which model is the best for ft

don’t want to prejudge so keeping my initial thoughts quiet for now

awaiting your most reasoned reply

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:46 pm 

Assuming you are buying new, I would buy the HC in .177. In fact I just did buy a HC in .177. The fellow who won the field target worlds in springer class shot the HC. As for resale, any .177 TX does not last long once up for sale. The .22 models generally do take longer to sell.

I would absolutely recommend tuning it down to sub 12 ft/lb in order to get more accuracy and a smoother shot cycle. I believe the ultimate tune kit at present is the Tony Leach kit that I just installed in mine. Many have used the Votek PG3 kit and have been happy with it. Whatever you tune it with, make sure it is under 12 ft/lb, since that is the power these guns are designed for. The winner of last year's world shoots his TX at about 10.5 ft/lb and mine is shooting just over 11 ft/lb.

Good luck on choosing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:27 pm 

I'm with Tim on the Hunter Carbine. Built one up over the winter to be my main FT platform. Currently it is shooting lights out. It is replacing my full length version, that has a Steve Pope spring and seal. The full length version has served me wonderfully for over five years of competition - trouble free, accurate and reliable.

To contrast the two: the full length version is noticeably easier to cock and a softer experience. It's a sweet shooting setup. In my opinion it is has better visual balance and also has a center of balance a bit further out from the body. If you are tall / long limb person it may have a better fit / balance. The HC version is harder to cock (even with a Tony Leach 22mm conversion) and louder. It is also a much quicker shot cycle. It takes a bit of getting used to. For me, the quickness makes it less hold sensitive which is important as I don't have the steadiest hold.

To add to Tim's comments, the current Canadian Springer Champion and 5th at the 2019 Worlds, shoots the full length version. When I spoke to him over the winter he was experimenting with even longer barrels. So, in the right hands both are extremely accurate.

If you get the chance to shoot them side by side I'd definitely recommend it.

Have fun making the decisions. You really can't go wrong either way :)

There can only be one... TX200

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:29 pm 

Ha Ha
I read your headline, and methinks your immediate preference is fairly obvious. :wink:

I don't own a springer, so I'm not going to make any recommendations, but I've had the chance to shoot quite a few top-o-the-line models. Mac's (Tim's) suggestion is right on top of the list, and if you ask any TX200 owners out there, there's nothing out there that compares to their choice of rifle. The TX200 almost got me into the springer experience.

So, I'm wondering what you mean by "play." Do you mean casual shooting, or do you mean taking things apart and experimenting. If it's the latter, I'd suggest you start with something a little less than the top of the line. Certainly even the top of the line springers are tunable to the likings of the shooter, as Mac suggested, but unless you know what you're doing, you could mess up what is a fine piece of hardware right out of the box. Grab one of the much cheaper Chinese variants to "play" with, and when you're done, you'll know a lot more about springers when you get your shooter of choice. Members here can give you all kinds of recommendations for that end of the spectrum, as well.

That may or may not be helpful, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers and good luck in your hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 am 

My vote would go to the full size TX200, with walnut stock.
- I like the look of the longer barrel.
- Cal .177, in 12 ft/lb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm 

I wanted the walnut stock myself but I am in no way disappointed in the beech version. It's gorgeous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:38 pm 

ok where to start
buying new as my budget allows it, and excited to do so
177 of course for field target competitions. ( not sure would ever compete as have a styer for open)
sub 12/ft pounds of course and like the idea of a sweet spot rather than just right at 12 makes sense

tony leach. Voted. Steve Pope. I need better friends as this is Greek to me, know of the reasons but need where to buy and pros and cons, man this sport is neat. lots of fun stuff to learn, understand and put into practice

not an experimenter and would get someone qualified to do the work, maybe even pay them to play with my new stuff before me
seems odd but that is the way to get things done right, not use my lack of skills on the state of the art springer

here is my goal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 pm 

build and shoot a really neat springer
tune and spring kits, HIGH RISE RAIL, custom stock and maybe anodized parts (not in red though Joel)

step one is to get a TX200, HC or regular length. (good points above). walnut more money, beech harder and heavier

only 5. 6. short arms, so not sure on length. surprised to hear that the HC was popular among top shooters so my choice would have been the longer one thinking it was used by 95 % of top shooters, my bad

once the rifle is bought then the rest follows, rail, stock tuners and so on

budget is 2500 without scope, just want to build a nice one, makes shooting more fun, taking home a nice rifle at the end of the day after getting beat by everyone else and their beat up guns then seems ok, as it was worthwhile to build and shoot knowing it was built to some good specs and might just work in the right hands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:10 pm 

If there is an easier spring gun to work on than a TX, I am unaware of it. Other than the trigger, which can be tricky to tune on any tuneable trigger, the TX is very simple.

Tony Leach is in England and he makes specialized tuning kits for spring guns. He makes a compression tube that slides inside the existing tube, after the transfer port end is taken off. He also makes a very light piston to fit the reduced diameter tube, complete with the latch rod if so ordered. If you like simple, you can also order a complete kit that includes the compression tube with the reduced diameter tube already fitted. That makes it a complete drop in kit and keeps all the stock parts unaltered. Costs a bit more, but would be way under the budget you stated.

This kit reduces the weight of the internal moving parts that results in the quick shot cycle that Jeff mentioned and also reduces the recoil since there is less weight. Just physics really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 pm 

If you're going to get a custom stock, might just has well save the $ and buy the beech one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm 

If you're looking for a high rise rail check out AJP Custom parts in the UK - https://ajpcustomparts.co.uk/index.php/riser-rails/. Options in height and colour. Super good guy to deal with and stands by what he makes. For rings, check out BLK - https://www.bkltech.com/Scope-Rings-and-Mounts-s/2.htm.

Prefer AJP and BLK because fewer moving parts. A good thing on a springer :) They are also top drawer quality.

You'll pay for the Tony Leach kit in a full drop in setup. IMHO it's worth it, even more, if you plan to compete.

Agree with sillymike, if you're going to swap stocks at some point go with the beech. I've recently seen some great examples too.

The TX, in either length, is wonderful platform and, as Tim mentions, easy to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm 

think the 12 ft lb Hunter carbine in beech will work for me at this time

will try the HC as short arms, beech stock as AGS has jp? stocks coming

will get a scope riser as mentioned, tune kit later when I can get someone competent to install it,
wish you guys were closer

would really like a Warren Edwards or other custom stock but too many questions for it right now, need to get a stock that would fit the first time if going custom

thanks for all the thoughts. Jeff

jsb 8.44 right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:20 pm 

You're welcome!

Ah... pellets... :) I've had good success with the JSB 8.44s, my main pellet. My rig also likes the Cometta 8.44. The guys around me have also had luck with the AA 8.44 and 7.9s too in their 12 ft/lb rigs.

Great success with it and welcome to the dark side :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:01 am 

JeffHemming wrote:
You're welcome!

Ah... pellets... :) I've had good success with the JSB 8.44s, my main pellet. My rig also likes the Cometta 8.44. The guys around me have also had luck with the AA 8.44 and 7.9s too in their 12 ft/lb rigs.

Great success with it and welcome to the dark side :)

decided I might get the longer barrel, easier to cock and just saw your sold ad on here, missed it rats,

if buyer backs out I am ready thanks jeff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am 

update this is fun and interesting to me

bought a TX200 beech used and a new one from AGS with a AirMax scope

also bought a used ProSport 7 a used Sightron slll

then ordered a tony leach kit, and he said they might be finished next week, the drop in kit

this should be a long learning curve to shoot competitively but looking forward to the journey

can only admire how you guys do it so well