Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:43 pm 

I've had this idea for a while, I'd like to be able to cut left-hand threads on my King KC1022ML (same as Grizzly G0602). Problem is, there's no provision to do so with the original gear arrangement. I need to make a reverse tumbler, and saw topics on different hobby machinist forums. But the guys do it using smaller gears to reverse the rotation of the lead screw, which in my view change the final ratio:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads ... ler.37795/

https://www.rcdon.com/html/the_reverse_ ... oject.html

Am I missing something? The plastic gear that gets power from the spindle is 60 tooth, and is somewhat worn, I think I could make 2 new ones (lots of work, but doable). I'd need to make a cutter that has the same exact profile as the teeth on the OE gear, and I'd like to make the new gears out of metal instead of plastic. I do have nylatron (MDS) of the correct size, but I'd rather use bronze or steel. Anyone ever attempted this?

The red arrow shows the gear I need to make

Attachments:
Gear.JPG
Gear.JPG [ 101.72 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:11 pm 

Can certainly go with metal, but I've read of quite a few fellows having success making change gears on a 3d printer. They seem to hold up better than a fellow expects too. "Better" modeling programs have the ability to generate gears, but there are several online gear generators like the fellow mentions if one doesn't want to invest the time in the cad programs.

Once you learn the modeling software though...everything looks like a 3d printed solution. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xGWxzR ... Everything

Al

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:19 am 

Thanks Al, I'll look into it :drinkers: .

But I'm still leaning toward a metal gear with a shear key (aluminium) since the original gear weak link is the keyway built into it. Remembering my younger years as a small engine mechanic, many a lawn mower engines had these keys to preserve the flywheel in case of a hit of the blade on an obstacle:

https://www.amazon.ca/Briggs-Stratton-5 ... B00004RB14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:25 am 

I use Solidworks for machine design. The toolbox will create a lot of gears to industry specs. A lot of cad files can also be downloaded from manufacturer's web sites and then bores and keys modified if required. Most commercial items don't need to be re-created from scratch anymore. They are usually offered as a step or iges file at a minimum. A large number of manufacturers offer their product in native formats for the major cad programs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:37 am 

rob g wrote:
I use Solidworks for machine design. The toolbox will create a lot of gears to industry specs. A lot of cad files can also be downloaded from manufacturer's web sites and then bores and keys modified if required. Most commercial items don't need to be re-created from scratch anymore. They are usually offered as a step or iges file at a minimum. A large number of manufacturers offer their product in native formats for the major cad programs.

Thanks for the hint Rob! Yet another option.

But I'm a bit of a masochistic, and a sucker for ''old school'' ways lol! I'll see how much work is needed to make the cutter and gears, still open to suggestions :) .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:52 am 

airmec wrote:
rob g wrote:

But I'm a bit of a masochistic, and a sucker for ''old school'' ways lol! I'll see how much work is needed to make the cutter and gears, still open to suggestions :) .

At a minimum you can probably purchase a gear blank and add the required bore and key. A whole lot cheaper than buying gear cutting tooling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:57 pm 

rob g wrote:
airmec wrote:
rob g wrote:

At a minimum you can probably purchase a gear blank and add the required bore and key. A whole lot cheaper than buying gear cutting tooling.

Well I had planned to make my own cutter, I do have some D2 tool steel bar, once hardened it should be good to cut bronze or steel pretty easily. Speaking of which, I just found a suitable piece of Stressproof steel in my scrap bin, 4'' OD and 1 1/2 in length. That should be good for at least two gears.

Attachments:
60T_gear_and_blank.JPG
60T_gear_and_blank.JPG [ 39.57 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:01 pm 

Update on the project: Today I was able to make some chips!

I made the mandrel, or arbor if you like, that'll be used for both machining and using the cutters. It's made from a scrap piece of 4140 CrMo steel. The small end has a 0.6235'' OD x 1/2'' long bearing surface for the cutter, threads are 5/8''-18 NF, 3/4'' long. The shank is 1/2'' and has a concentric 60° center hole in the end. I still need to make a nut and a washer/spacer, and re-machine the big end of the arbor.

I also had two 1 1/2'' x 3/8'' pieces of O1 tool steel cut to make the gear cutters, and found a good ''scrap'' piece of bronze for the spindle gear. Still a lot to do, but it's coming along 8) .

Attachments:
G_1.JPG
G_1.JPG [ 85.23 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]
G_2.JPG
G_2.JPG [ 56.59 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]
G_3.JPG
G_3.JPG [ 56.78 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:01 pm 

The arbor is finished, ready to use. I made two spacer washers and a flanged nut, again with scrap 4140 steel bar. The nut has a recess so it can be treaded deep on the arbor, allowing me to use very thin cutters/saws if I want. The thickest can be up to 5/8''. I made a shoulder on the big end so it'll butt against the chuck's jaws, that'll make the arbor rock-solid with the live center tightened, no side play allowed 8) .

Next step is to machine the cutters.

Attachments:
G_4.JPG
G_4.JPG [ 45.25 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
G_5.JPG
G_5.JPG [ 45.76 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
G_6.JPG
G_6.JPG [ 45.41 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:37 pm 

Looks good. Sure seems like a lot of work for a gear you could likely buy for under a $100 lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:39 pm 

rob g wrote:
Looks good. Sure seems like a lot of work for a gear you could likely buy for under a $100 lol

The satisfaction of "doing" does have it's own intrinsic value. Holding a "good" part in your hand that was made by that same hand along with a sense of accomplishment and some small amount of pride (allowable ;) )...pretty much priceless. 8)

Machining as a hobby is frequently about making the tool...to make the tool...to make the part. It can be a "zen like" journey with many a side road...if you let it.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:04 pm 

Gippeto wrote:

The satisfaction of "doing" does have it's own intrinsic value.... It can be a "zen like" journey...

And it can also be quite inspirational to those like me who struggle to cut and join 2x4's at anything approaching a 90 degree angle.

The skills that many members on this forum demonstrate regularly impress the heck out of me.

Well done!
Rob27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:35 pm 

Thanks Rob!

Update to my last post :

I said the arbor was finished, I was wrong. I forgot to machine the keyway, and make a key.

So I just did that; I used a HSS 4 flutes 3/16’’ endmill with lots of cutting oil, spinning @ 560 RPM and hand-fed to make the keyway. The key was made from 3/16’’ square stock I had. I made it 9/16’’ in length and one end is rounded.

So now the next step is to make the cutters, and then broach them and the washers. Will post about that soon.

Attachments:
G_7.JPG
G_7.JPG [ 41.27 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]
G_8.JPG
G_8.JPG [ 46.48 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 am 

I just luv to watch the progress of these projects coming to fruition. Many times I thought about picking up a small lathe to tinker with now and then. Hobbies are time consuming but can't put a price on the reward and fun to build stuff.

Many times, I wish I had the tenacity and skill set to cook or bake......For some unknown reason, I don't have the intellect to take care of myself. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:16 pm 

It is often said that home shop machinists spend more time making single use tooling that they rarely, if ever use.
I have a ball-turning attachment I made for my smaller South Bend 9A. I used it exactly once to make a ball on the end of the handle of a brass-faced hammer I made for my brother (over 15 years ago).
I have not used it since.
Or probably ever. But now I have one.
The next one I make will be better having learned where I could improve the first one.
I'll probably never make another one since I already have one...

I also have a little 3" 3-jaw chuck for the Southie I bought for a project. It takes hours to properly fit a backing plate to a chuck regardless of the size of the chuck. I've used it twice. It is a cute little thing though.

I had to repair my Southie when I bought it (cheap). It had a few teeth missing (from bashing on the chuck to remove it) at the same (rough) gear location as your pic. Luckily, there are lots of parts for South Bend machines on ebay. The main back gear also had two teeth missing (probably the same reason). I fixed it in situ rather than taking the headstock apart. The apron was so full of packed in swarf, I had to chisel it out. Everything in the apron turned out to be serviceable, precluding the need to buy new parts. It's a fun little lathe. I use it for basic milling with a milling attachment.

To you trained machinists -I wish I knew half of what you've forgotten.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects