Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:30 pm 

As the titles says, my problem is the red or green dot is not a dot, but a piece of art work. I have had this Centerpoint red dot for 3 years and only recently been using it. My problem with my glasses off it is flame and with my glasses on it is dot with a hat and a line out the side. With every one in my family also wearing glasses I have no one to look in it to see if is me or the sight. Finely today I put my camera up to it and saw a perfect round dot. Do you all think this would be the norm with all of these or maybe a Holo will give me a nice dot. I think a trip to Cabelas is in order.
Attachment:
Red dot.jpg
Red dot.jpg [ 86.59 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:34 pm 

So your saying there might be some visual interference between your glasses and the scope lenses? Looks normal to me [emoji1743]

J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:51 pm 

Ya, there is no focusing adjustment so the dot can go fuzzy if you don't have good eyesight.
I like red dot sights for plinking, cross hair scope for target shooting.
I've taken up more plinking these days so I have acquired a variety of dot sights.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:52 pm 

Yeah~ Robert, so sorry to tell you that your camera did a good job and it's what the red/green dot sight shows to other (nornal) ppl....

That's our eye sights issue I believe and so I gave up the dot sights a few years ago and use scopes or just the bare open sight, iron sight or diopter sights (something uses physical method for you to aim...)..... :(

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:43 pm 
Site Moderator

Same problem here. Astigmatism sucks! You might find a nice dot picture when shooting outside. I have the comet “dot” indoors but it looks fine outdoors in brightness. Also make sure you look through center of your prescription lens. I can use dot sights with pistols but not rifles because I can’t look through center of lens when shooting rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:44 pm 

Some good info from Vortex. The problem is likely your eyes. I find I get a better dot when I reduce the dot brightness. My eyes/glasses give me a fuzzy dot as well

https://www.vortexcanada.net/troublesho ... stigmatism.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 pm 

Astigmatism does suck. Runs in the family
Pretty much moved to low powered scopes as my alternative.
Little more added weight tho...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:01 pm 

The supplied image does not show a concentric dot. I get a lop-sided egg shape, rather than a circle on this monitor, and my phone. :|

No astigmatism here, but I do have problems with being far-sighted, which is increasing as I age. Most of the cheaper red dots (and some illuminated reticle scopes) are pretty blurry for me. Best of the cheaper red dots for me has been the Tasco RD-22 series with the cleanest images. I think a focusable red dot may be a good idea, but probably problematic in execution, and more importantly, pricing.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:13 pm 

Doc, that picture though not perfect is fantastic compared to what I am seeing. I have no problems with my scopes. I just want to find something small for next hog hunt. Now that my Nephew is living in Texas for the next 3 years, I will be able to meat up with him a my brother a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:26 pm 

McRobert wrote:
for next hog hunt ... I will be able to meat up with him ...

:lol: :lol: OK, I'm porking fun at you. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:21 pm 

Cheap red dot sights seem to work OK for shooting pistols out to 20yards or so. I tried a red-dot on my Ruger 10-22 and immediately took it off after a day at the range with it.
I put the 6-18X40mm back on it.
I suppose one might work OK for hogs at close range, but I would still prefer a low powered scope, 2 1/2X to maybe a straight 4X. a 1.5 to 4 or 5X30mm might be even better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:31 am 

Sounds like you have astigmatism. Do you street lights and car head lights look similarly whacky when driving at night?

If you happen to have a copy of your eye prescription, if there is any numbers listed for "cyl" or "cylinder", that is the degree of astigmatism.

There is a chance its not astigmatism and might be a sort of refraction off your eye lid. As a cheap fix, you can try opening your eyes wide like you're surprised. If you have a decent degree of astigmatism this likely will not help though.

Getting your glasses prescription renewed may also help if you think your eye sight has changed, but except for very minor astigmatism, the streaky lights will probably not be corrected for you, it's a crappy thing we just live with lol.

Okay if you have an updated glasses prescription and the dot is still streaky, there are red dots that are more astigmatism friendly. Unfortunately you get what you pay for, it can get expensive.

Holographic sights like an Eotech should be crisp even with astigmatism. Unfortunately most holo sights are relatively crap compared to Eotech, they are the reigning champs of the technology. You might find a used one in the $600-ish range.

You can also look at prismatic red dot sights like a vortex spitfire, they should be more astigmatism friendly and cheaper than a holo.

Finally dot brightness plays a role. You want to minimize the contrast of the dot and the background. E. G. In overcast skies don't have the dot on max brightness. Unfortunately putting the dot at a lower setting makes it harder to see in general. But it is the contrast of bright dot / dark background that makes the streak effect worse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 am 
Site Moderator

It’s a loosing battle if you have astigmatism. The proper correction with your lens is when you look through the center like when shooting a handgun. When shooting a rifle we tend to look through the lens close to our nose so we get distortion. It can be worse with progressive lens. Rick and I laugh at the extreme outward adjustment we use on the eyepiece of our scopes. Young eyes can’t even use our scopes because the crosshairs appear very blurry.

You might want to experiment with taping an aperture on the lens of your glasses. This helps with seeing iron sights on a pistol but I’ve never tried it with a red dot sight. Poke a small hole in a piece of liner board (cereal box) and tape to lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:07 pm 

I mistakenly bought progressive lens for my first set of glasses, back in the 90's. What a mistake. Could not shoot open sights at all with my rifles & was
actually better without them, not as blurry. Ever since then, I have bought bifocals and they have been great. The last 3 sets of glasses I have purchased,
allow correction to 20/15. For the first 4 sets of glasses, 20/20 was the best I could get corrected to. Sure like to see EVERYTHING in sharp detail. These glasses
have always worked just fine over the entire top of the lens, unlike the progressives that were badly out of focus except for the middle of the lens. I am told the
more expensive progressives have the same long distance focus across the entire top of the lens as well. I see no reason to buy them and really like my bifocals.
For shooting open sights, I sometimes wear .75 diopter glasses. The sights are quite sharp then, but the target is more blurry, of course. 1.0 Diopter glasses make
whatever I am shooting at, too blurry. My .25 and 50 diopter glasses are not strong enough but better than nothing or with my normal glasses.
With the HW80's open sights, I was still able to shoot 1/2" groups at 50' using my bifocals, so I guess they aren't too bad. It's better with the .75's. They were
inexpensive, but had to be ordered for me. .25, .5 and .75 are listed as reading or computer glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:03 pm 

I see a dot with a small flame at the top. The other eye sees a perfect dot. Its your and my eyes