Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Umarex Ruger 10/22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:37 pm 

Just got some nice goodies from Cabela's today for my new 10/22: a licensed and embroidered padded soft gun case, a Simmons 3-9x32 rimfire scope, a set of Burris weaver low profile Zee rings, and a 10/22 Weaver rail with screws.

The Weaver branded rail is made for the ''real'' Ruger 10/22, and is a perfect fit on the CO2 replica, the included screws are just the right length and pitch. The Burris rings fit solidly on the rail, they're well finished and precisely made. I chose the ''Matte'' finish, kinda like raw cast iron in colour. Also they're steel and seem very rigid, I wouldn't worry using them on a high-recoil springer rifle.
The Simmons scope is a very nice piece of optics I just discovered. It's selling at 74.99$ (reg. price). The reticle is a fine Duplex type and the glass is much clearer than with say, a CenterPoint 4x32 ''bundled'' scope. The turrets are finger-tip adjustable and rather stiff, I don't think they'll be prone to move on this no-recoil airgun. The scope is factory-adjusted to be parallax-free @ 50 yards, but the objective lens lock-ring can be moved easily so I'll re-adjust it to a closer range soon. There's no interference with the rear sight using low-profile rings, there's still about 1/4'' of clearance between the sight and objective bell. One cool detail I didn't notice when I bought the scope is the red ring on the top turret; it goes so nicely with the Red & Black Ruger colour theme.
And to keep my airgun clean and safe when storing it or going out what better than a Ruger licensed case? Padding is thick and firm, and the fabric is heavy and seem to be of good quality. There are no miss anywhere in the seams and the zippers are strong and work well. There's three compartments that can be used for pellets, magazine/clips and CO2 cartridges. The scoped rifle is a perfect fit inside this case, I'm really happy with this purchase.
I still have to zero the scope but that shouldn't be too long, starting today I'm on vacation for two weeks so plenty of time ahead. Also I'm awaiting for the licensed Ruger sling, it's in the mail, I should receive it soon.

Attachments:
New_stuff.JPG
New_stuff.JPG [ 69.33 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]
Scoped_1022.JPG
Scoped_1022.JPG [ 48.77 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]
Goog_fit.JPG
Goog_fit.JPG [ 64.3 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]

Post subject: Re: Umarex Ruger 10/22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 pm 

Hey,

Whats it like shooting at 600 FPS?

I just got one of these and its not impressive at 400 FPS with lead. You can actually see the pellet fly... kinda.... to its destination. I hope 600 FPS is more exciting than this :)

I was excited to buy this gun, but shooting at 400 FPS kinda took the shine off for me.

Thanks.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:37 pm 

Mine's the under-500 fps version. I only shot it a few times at short range, with the open sights. It seems it wants to be accurate with JSB RS Exact 7.33 grains so far, but I haven't tried many other pellets yet. I haven't chronied it yet, my Chrony is temporarily out of order. Also with the trigger and magazine tuned it's another beast. Can't wait to see the results with the new scope.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:44 pm 

airmec wrote:
Mine's the under-500 fps version. I only shot it a few times at short range, with the open sights. It seems it wants to be accurate with JSB RS Exact 7.33 grains so far, but I haven't tried many other pellets yet. I haven't chronied it yet, my Chrony is temporarily out of order. Also with the trigger and magazine tuned it's another beast. Can't wait to see the results with the new scope.

Did you do some tuning around the trigger and mag?

I also noticed that you where considering a Bic Lighter spring mod to eject the mag with some authority. Did that work for you without an alignment issue?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:54 pm 

Blammo wrote:
airmec wrote:

Did you do some tuning around the trigger and mag?

I also noticed that you where considering a Bic Lighter spring mod to eject the mag with some authority. Did that work for you without an alignment issue?

Cheers

Yes I did a complete trigger and bolt tune, with tungsten lube job. Here are my posts about the mag, disassembly of the rifle, trigger tune and re-assembly:

topic85925.html

topic85962.html

topic85995.html

And yes the mag spring mod is working very well. The Bic lighter spring is perfect for the mod when cut in half. The mag is getting out of the mag well by itself when you actuate the lever, I actually have to put my hand under the rifle to catch it. Pellets get out of the clip easily and not deformed or clipped when shot, so clip alignment seems OK. You make me realise that I didn't make a thread on that :oops: . Be it only for that mod it's worth opening the rifle, but trigger and bolt tune is so easy you'll want to do it while the gun's apart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 am 

Just got the sling this morning, now my kit is complete.

Attachments:
Ruger_sling.JPG
Ruger_sling.JPG [ 101.59 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]