Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 pm 

My wife says I'm spending too much time "tinkering" with my guns when I should be doing something more productive like fixing things around the house. Rescued a Shanghai model 62 which was headed for the trash. Covered in rust (except the bore) and broken stock. Inspired by Reaper's tactical super blackbird post (nice work!), I decided that bringing this gun back to life was a priority. Went for a ww2 surplus look. Wire wheeled the rust to bare metal, painted and stressed out the stock, and added some things for the final look.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:55 pm 

Cool gun! Just tell the wife you could be sitting in the bar every night instead. My wife is tickled pink that I am home every evening and weekends the past two years and not going out to the range everyday. Nothing better than waking up in the morning, grab a coffee and go shoot s**t. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 pm 

Quote:
Shanghai model 62

Not at all familiar with this rifle; can you describe it to us, detail your modifications and post performance stats.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 pm 

Great idea adding the tripod grip handle...
That should really help smooth out the barrel harmonics. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:56 am 

"Model 62 Shanghai China" are the only markings on this rifle. Not much info on the internet, maybe 60's or 70's production. Has an interesting feature...there is a lever right behind the barrel pivot that when depressed opens the breech just enough to load a .177 pellet into the chamber before you actually cock the rifle. Solidly built (as was everything back then), but this thing looked like it was hit by a car. Used a big hammer to fix things and straighten her out. Shoots remarkably well for what it's been through, 1" group @ 10m. Had to soak the leather piston seal in oil, so still dieseling a bit but seems to be settling in around 600fps (was 800). The stock was split in half. Tried to paint it with a camo pattern but did not like the results so I took a torch to it, scraped it with a putty knife, finished with steel wool, clear coated with satin clear and....voila! The bipod and forward grip are attached and clip onto the cocking lever, however it has to be removed when cocking the rifle. The bipod and handle are also plastic, painted them silver with a black top coat and finished with steel wool for that worn battlefield look. Going to perform a home crown job to see if the groups tighten up. This was a fun project, the kids get a kick out of it and think it's cool, I end up with another rifle in my collection that is a great conversation piece...and it did not cost me alot of money!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 pm 

Cool! - I can actually visualize some "police-person" seeing that gun, then out comes the taser and grabbing your gun and exclaiming "THAT'S A MACHINE GUN!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or - demanding - DO YOU HAVE A PERMIT FOR THAT?????????????

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm 

That's kool man 8) As for the wife hassle your on your own there :hsmash