Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:06 am 

I lucked out and was able to buy an English Webley Tempest .177 in incredible condition from mrmarvin. It arrived today and I couldn't be happier with it (and mrmarvin's service).
The sale actually included the box, instructions, wax paper, tin of vintage pellets and hex tool. The gun is in 90-95% condition. He said it was in near new condition and wasn't kidding.

This is the first Webley I've owned and I can see what the appeal is now first hand. This isn't meant to be a full review, more of a getting acquainted type post.

After having fired off about 75 Hobby pellets it's shooting right around 400fps. Everything seems to work as it should with no issues. As many say it's definitely no target gun, but for having just received it, it's grouping around 1-1.5" from 24ft. I tried a few rested on a bag and the groups tightened up quite a bit, suggesting the weak link is me. At least I know the gun can perform with the proper technique which I have yet to master.

This is going to be a very fun gun.

I was half tempted to just keep this one aside as a collector piece, as it's in such nice shape. I have a hard time doing that though as it was made to be used. If this was an ultra rare gun maybe I'd lock it away, but I'm thinking I'll just take good care of it as I enjoy it. Hopefully this is one I can pass down someday.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 288.16 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 294.83 KiB | Viewed 954 times ]

FWB 300S, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:59 am 

Congratulations and Right You Are!
Mr. Marvin's a great guy to deal with, and good to visit with at various gun shows.
I agree about your English Webley, rare around these parts,
You could just covet it and store it away, but why not enjoy using it,
perhaps sparingly, babying it, but it was made to shoot!
Actually quite a good target shooter, once You get the hang of it,
typical springer characteristics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:39 am 

Best I've managed with my 1990's English Tempest in .22" is 2" groups at 10 metres, shooting one-handed as I shoot my Pardini. For comparison I can shoot 1" groups with the Pardini on a bad day, so the Tempest doesn't do too badly for a springer. But no, it'll never be my go-to target pistol. Great for plinking at cans and pine cones on camping trips, that sort of shooting. I sold a Webley Senior to another CAF member a little while back - something I bought locally and restored, but then just couldn't justify owning two of them as I don't shoot them all that often. He promptly went out and nailed a grouse with it. So apparently they're alright for close range hunting in the hands of a good shooter. Which is something I've come across the odd time on English forums as well, where it seems they're considered an acceptable game bird gun if you're at very close range. Head shots only of course as there's nowhere near enough power for a heart shot on a bird.

Enjoy your Tempest and do shoot it a lot, they're not safe queens, they're meant to be used. My favourite is my little Junior which came to me with lots of wear, signs of a long life lived hard but respectfully. That one came from Mr Marvin like yours, for a fair price. Took a bit of tinkering to make it usable, but that it is now. New spring and seal and it's working just great, and so small it's a perfect pocket plinker.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:32 pm 

Yes this one is going to be used. I don't think I'd be doing myself any favors by storing it away.

Still not getting consistent groups but am able to keep them in around 2 inches. And I do agree Gerard, a good day for me with the high end guns doesn't produce as impressive a comparative group as I would have thought. $2000 for a 1 inch group, $250 for a 2 inch group. Both fun.

Think I may attempt to swap out the trigger spring for a lighter one as suggested online.

FWB 300S, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!