Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: handmade BB gun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:21 pm 

Been workin on this for a while now, obviously with one glance you will recognize it isn't entirely my own design...it is for the most part all handmade from steel, front sight included. The internals were made of tool steel which was a real pain in the azz to drill even before hardening but after a few broken drills and a cpl soaks in the forge I managed. Barrel I made from seamless hydraulic tubing and rifled with a homemade rifling bench I made a while back, it's 1 in 20 left twist 10 groove .375x16 inch and is polished out so hardly rifled untill the last several inches. Why .375? well thats the size material I had around to make a barrel from and also I already had the mold for the lead ball and figured lead ball would be easier to make a mag work. Valve is actually a 2240 back half modified and with a disco stem, mounted in a steel bracket on the side of the gun. Feed line is just steel line and flare fittings, gonna neaten it up at some point, seems to hold pressure fine, mag holds approx 18 bb and is just a tube with a spring and rod to push up the rounds and a cover I built from sheet steel, grips are some kind of hardwood salvaged from a pallet slat that caught my eye (been forging some knives too so I'm usually on the lookout for scale material) Soooooooo to answer the first question I know is comming....no, no it does not cycle in full auto, I have to manually rack the bolt for each shot although a cpl times it brapped twice in a row. I am using around 1000psi so it may not be enough pressure to recock the gun, and I'm good with that as I have to cast the shot myself and dont have a HPA fill station. I am getting 384fps high and around 360 low, hoped for a bit more but im sure there's room to improve a lil bit, totally not practical at all but still fun to smash tin cans with and at 360 fps sounds pretty weak but remember its 80 grains of lead so this bb gun is no joke! Sorry for the pics, I was tryin to prop it up for a photo and just ended up droppin it in the snow anyway....any comments or suggestions for improvements are most appreciated.

Cheers-matt

Attachments:
rsz_20180325_155102-1.jpg
rsz_20180325_155102-1.jpg [ 84.87 KiB | Viewed 4184 times ]
rsz_20180325_154906.jpg
rsz_20180325_154906.jpg [ 168.03 KiB | Viewed 4184 times ]
rsz_20180325_154712.jpg
rsz_20180325_154712.jpg [ 217.23 KiB | Viewed 4184 times ]

Post subject: Re: handmade BB gun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Cool gun. Looks like the trigger is off of a paintball gun. What did you use to build the receiver?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm 

Thanks Webstien! the entire gun is handmade from steel, reciever is 1x1 sq tube, trigger was block of steel, gaurd is 1/8 steel simply bent and welded. having no machine tools really sucked :lol:
If you take a closer look you may recognize what the original design was :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 pm 

Very nice Matt!
Wish I had that much talent.
Hey that's 26.2 fpe...!!! That's great!!
Love to hear it fire... maybe YouTube...or Vimeo?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:35 pm 

I don't pay attention to BB Gun's so your lucky I read this post.

But this is nice it's not a BB gun is a airgun that shots led round balls :P

I like it It looks like a German gun from WWII I forget the name ...... Grease Gun I think.

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=htt ... mrc&uact=8

Hope my links work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 pm 

FRANK wrote:
I don't pay attention to BB Gun's so your lucky I read this post.

But this is nice it's not a BB gun is a airgun that shots led round balls :P

I like it It looks like a German gun from WWII I forget the name ...... Grease Gun I think.

Hope my links work.

M3 Grease Gun was American. You're thinking of the MP40.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

Thanks guys, I will give you a hint....there are plans available for this online and it was originally designed to shoot 30 cal cast bullets, I just changed the appearance very slightly :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:48 am 

Nice work!

I hope to be set up with a small shop area, a reasonable lathe, and drill press by retirement...
Maybe then I'll have time to take on some "real" projects. :wink:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am 

matt wrote:
Thanks guys, I will give you a hint....there are plans available for this online and it was originally designed to shoot 30 cal cast bullets, I just changed the appearance very slightly :wink:

Is this based off the Casselman?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:50 am 

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
matt wrote:

Is this based off the Casselman?

kind of looks like it.. doesn't it.... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 pm 

you got er! it is based from it but I changed a cpl things to fit what I had for materials, with no machine tools it took a full cup of patience and a lot of hand fitting to fabricate the springs and little parts in the action to work together, and like I said it's not full auto but it does function. :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 pm 

Pretty thrilled with a mild tinker on this gun, netted me 418 fps! :D and a decent fpe which was my goal on the low pressure im running.......im sure theres more though... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:39 pm 

Well guys, I have to admit I can't do anymore on this one, have tinkered more on it a little bit when I had a spare moment, not a fail, but didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. Still functions nice n smooth, best fps was mid 400's and around 360 with a 3 shot burst that was only on occasion. I am NOT qualified to and nor do I want to mess with the output on the 3000psi/1000psi -out gaurdian tank on the gun, I have made several changes to bolt, hammer springs, bolt probe seals, ect. my conclusion is that its just too big a projectile for the pressure/setup to push any more out of it. It's still kind of a cool air gun, but most likely this winter will be recycled for it's barrel and parts, and used for something else. :cry:

cheers-Matt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 am 

Very nice work!

This build based on the Caselman was running on 850 psi for 35 ft lbs on energy with .30" lead balls. The maker refined the design somewhat to make it function at this pressure, however it's odd that you cannot get it to cycle. Yes you have lower chamber pressure, but that also means you should need a less powerful spring to knock the hammer valve open.

One possible refinement is a balanced valve that greatly reduces the effective pressure keeping the valve shut, meaning you can open it with a much less powerful hammer spring which therefore gives less work to the gas attempting to re-cock the action:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 am 

As a follow-up to this, I can say that applying the Caselman direct blowback principle to a PCP with a balanced valve works very well, even as low as 500 psi ;)