Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New HW45
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:40 pm 

Bought it on Black Friday from D&L which had free shipping. Could not resist and received it today. It's beautiful and feels well made. Tried a few shots and noticed it's hard to cock. Hoping it will get easier after breaking it in. Also missing low. I'm sure its me.
Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg [ 92.86 KiB | Viewed 3034 times ]

Post subject: Re: New HW45
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:04 am 

Aha~ that's truely a powerful, accurate and challenging one~ Solid, tough, consistently well made by HW!

Feeling difficult in cocking would be you just didn't find a good pose to cock it yet... I usually use my strong hand (right hand in my case) to push the gun on my tummy ( holding the grip just like you shoot it) then use the other hand to pull open the top lever. You need to find a good angle that not twisting the gun and watch out for your cloth etc... It's not easy as a break barrel rifle, but not that hard at all...

Apply a little moly paste using a tooth pick on the guide slots and the lower end of the cocking arms will give you a much smooth cocking experience...

Practice your holds and find a way the gun likes to shoot, and it will be very rewarding!

Having it for more than 1.5 years, and still have no confidence on it... Groups close to an inch is the best I can do in multi shots groups, usually hit right on the bullseye tho....

Congrats! I bought mine from D&L too~

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 am 

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

My HW45....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:22 am 

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Another one which I learned a lot from the great members here on how to shoot this beast~

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 pm 

Hi Yep Yep, thanks for the comments. What I did was hold it with my right hand (I'm a rightie) and used a underhand grip with the left to cock the pistol. I tried you suggestion. I got worried the front sight would get dislodged when I put it on my stomach. What I did instead was to lean the bottom of the barrel on my left outer thigh or right inner thigh. Then I pulled apart to cock with both hands and found it easier. Saw your HW45 and it looks great.

Don't know what moly paste is and where the guide slots and lower end of the cocking arms are. I'll investigate and let you know. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 pm 

I find the easiest way to cock this and similar guns is to hold in your shooting hand and open with the other. To close, rest the underside of the barrel on your thigh and push closed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm 

RJ88 wrote:
I got worried the front sight would get dislodged when I put it on my stomach.

Don't know what moly paste is and where the guide slots and lower end of the cocking arms are. I'll investigate and let you know. thanks.

Dislodge the front sight? Hmm.. Maybe I should say 'waist', not 'tummy' ?!

Actually it should be same as mentioned by <500 and you, hold the underside of the pistol to your body and pull open it... My back is not very strong, so I don't use my lap or thigh as I don't want to bent down... But it's really the same actually ~ so I think you already manager how to cock it~

Just remember when you pull open the top lever, keep the lever movement and the gun body on the same plane, don't 'twist' it... Although the material of this well made pistol is strong, I don't want the pivots takes too much unnecessary pressure as you do need some effort to cock the gun...

It's bed time now~ I will take some pictures includes the moly paste I am using for your reference tomorrow too~

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:01 am 

Here's a picture of the Moly paste I use on lubing the metal to metal contact spots ( remember it's metal to metal only, you can search the web to see what it's if you are interested... ). I don't remember where I got it, but with a name, you can find it easier...

It looks expensive, but just a one time purchase in your long life I think as you just need to use very very little each time as needed...

The thing you can buy from Canadian Tires which just 5%, 10% Moly inside will be useless in the springers... (The one I am using is 70%)

===
When you cock the gun, the 2 cocking arms under the top lever will have contact with the 2 guide slots and the main spring under... So just use the tooth pick to apply a little Moly on the contacting spots will smooth out the whole thing...

I also put a little on the top lever ( fake slide) fake hammer lock on the back. And it will smooth the process when you press and lock the top lever after cocking and loading too...

Don't know if you have experience and tools on stripping a springer. After a fine tuning, the HW45 will shoot much smoother (tamed)... If not, no problem, you don't have to do so and this nice pistol will still shoots very well and long lasting~ and doing so is not as easy as say because of its power and size, there is a lot of preload on the spring and can be dangerous if you open it up without proper tools and experience... ImageImage

~Target~