Canadian Airgun Forum
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

Setting up a Leishy 2
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic89566.html
Page 1 of 3

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 am ]
Post subject:  Setting up a Leishy 2

I recently acquired a Leishy 2, in 0.22 with the 350mm barrel.

This is my first PCP gun, so I'm really just getting set up. Has a temporary red-dot optic while I wait for a scope.

Configured this way, the Leishy 2 is comparable in size to the Crosman P1322 with in the shoulder stock attached.

Was planning on this for a while, so I've already acquired a compressor and fibreglass air bottle in advance.

Other than the pictured items, there were a few other parts included in the package. There was a convenient foam cut-out that fits the gun parts well. Some replacement o-rings and a few replacement air ports. Oh, also a filling port adapter. It took maybe 20-30 seconds for my Amazon-special compressor to take the Leishy 2 from 200 bar to 300 bar.

Updated photos to follow. In the next few days I should have a useful carry-case assembled, and will make a shoulder strap for it. The scope will likely take a few weeks to a month.

When the stock is attached to the gun it can lock in "rifle mode" but it can also lock folded-up. The stock holds the compressed air, so the gun only works when in "rifle mode". This leads to a curious Canadian legal issue. What is the "receiver" for this gun?

Folded up is the "backpack configuration". You'll want to cover the gun with a clean towel if you plan on doing that, as all the delicate port faces are exposed in this position. Thankfully Airgun Source thought of that and included a towel in the package.

As pictured you can see the gun comes with two red 8-round cylinders (referring to it like a revolver) that hold the pellets. The pellets are locked-in by the black magnetic "cap". There's also two pretty cute plastic parts that allow you to attach those cylinders to the stock.

Attachments:
File comment: Gun assembled.
P9220003.JPG
P9220003.JPG [ 180.19 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
File comment: Gun in its broken-down state.
P9220001.JPG
P9220001.JPG [ 374.87 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]

Author:  notec [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

:shock: :shock: Now that is an amazing gun!!!

Author:  Headdamage [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Neat gun, do I get one if I join space force? Really that is an interesting unit, haven't seen one before. I'm still entertaining myself with the 13xx/22xx Meccano sets. I was clearly mistaken thinking that getting into air guns would be cheaper than powder burners.

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Yes, this is standard issue in the Space Force. I have unfortunately not been recruited to Space Force, so sadly I had to purchase this gun.

I forgot to say, the package is supposed to contain a muzzle brake, but that is currently undergoing a redesign. That also should arrive in about a month. The tip of the barrel is currently covered by a complimentary thread adaptor. The barrel is 11mm in cross-sectional diameter. The thread adapter (HUMA-AIR) is from 11mm 1.25 threads to standard 1/2-30 UNF threads.

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

delooper wrote:
I recently acquired a Leishy 2, in 0.22 with the 350mm barrel.

When the stock is attached to the gun it can lock in "rifle mode" but it can also lock folded-up. The stock holds the compressed air, so the gun only works when in "rifle mode". This leads to a curious Canadian legal issue. What is the "receiver" for this gun?


The 'receiver' is the action - on every gun.

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Yeah, but which part would you label the receiver on this specific gun? I read the legalese of the firearms act, but it seems muddy when applied to this kind of non-standard gun. Maybe the receiver is just the stock of this gun, as that has the mechanism that turns the cylinder, and a major component of the firing mechanism.

In a revolver my impression is it's the frame that gets called the receiver, i.e. the part with the barrel and the hammer, not the cylinder. But on this, the barrel and trigger are on one component, the porting analogue of the hammer is on another component, and the cylinder is yet another.

Author:  YepYep [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Whatever it applied... The smart design is the gun can be fired only in stock attached rifle mode (align everything and connect them all together). I believe this is the only reason it can pass and being allowed into Canada...

Author:  leadslinger [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

delooper wrote:
Yeah, but which part would you label the receiver on this specific gun? I read the legalese of the firearms act, but it seems muddy when applied to this kind of non-standard gun. Maybe the receiver is just the stock of this gun, as that has the mechanism that turns the cylinder, and a major component of the firing mechanism.

In a revolver my impression is it's the frame that gets called the receiver, i.e. the part with the barrel and the hammer, not the cylinder. But on this, the barrel and trigger are on one component, the porting analogue of the hammer is on another component, and the cylinder is yet another.


Where is the serial number? I would bet that is, what they considered the action or registered part. Like on a Ruger MK series, you think the frame is the registered part. Like every other handgun. But actually it is the reciever that contains the barrel that is.

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

leadslinger wrote:
Where is the serial number? I would bet that is, what they considered the action or registered part. Like on a Ruger MK series, you think the frame is the registered part. Like every other handgun. But actually it is the reciever that contains the barrel that is.


The serial number is on the pistol part, i.e. the component that has the barrel and trigger assembly. The pellet is never loaded into this component, nor does this component have moving parts, other than the trigger. The reloading and firing mechanism is primarily in the stock.

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Firearms Receiver:

:https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms

Jul 7, 2020 ... receivers or 80% receivers, are firearms for the following reasons: A receiver blank is a nearly complete receiver of a firearm and falls within the adaptability clause of the definition of firearm Manufactured receiver blanks have no other purpose than to be firearm receivers Receiver blanks are available as separate components but are often sold as part


"In firearms terminology, the firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm which integrates other components by providing housing for internal action components such as the hammer, bolt or breechblock, firing pin and extractor"

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

The receiver is that part which contains the hammer, firing pin, etc. The barrel is inserted into the receiver.
The receiver is the "ACTION" of the gun. Seriously, how could it be anything else?
The receiver in firearms - ALL of my handguns except for the muzzleloading guns, has a serial number on the
action of the gun. Not on the stock, not on the barrel, but on the receiver. All of my rifles have the serial #
on the action/receiver, whether on the top, side or bottom.

Author:  Headdamage [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

The part that is the legal gun, so to speak, can vary from case to case. In one particular case, I'm aware of, the same semi auto firearm was imported under more than one name and some of them had the lower receiver with the serial number and some had the upper with the serial number. In theory you could had combined the two to get one gun with two registrations and one gun with none. The RCMP had to sort the mess out and decree the lowers on all of them to be the firearm before they started loosing track of them.

Your classic bolt action is easy, it is the receiver/action that is the gun, guns with upper and lower receivers can be either depending on what is decreed. With the Sten Gun it is usually the magazine housing and not the main body tube, you could cut the mag well off of a sten and still fire it as a single shot (it wouldn't be easy but it could be done).

I believe part of the confusion stems from the fact that not all countries consider the same parts to be the legal heart of the gun. I believe in some places the barrels are the controlled item.

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Daryl wrote:
The receiver is that part which contains the hammer, firing pin, etc. The barrel is inserted into the receiver.
The receiver is the "ACTION" of the gun. Seriously, how could it be anything else?
The receiver in firearms - ALL of my handguns except for the muzzleloading guns, has a serial number on the
action of the gun. Not on the stock, not on the barrel, but on the receiver. All of my rifles have the serial #
on the action/receiver, whether on the top, side or bottom.


Yeah, but according to the definition, the receiver for this rifle probably should be the stock. If you look at the definition quoted by Daryl, "the receiver provides housing for the internal action components such as the hammer, bolt or breechblock, firing pin and extractor."

This gun has none of those things, but the functional analogues of them are in the stock.

Author:  Daryl [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

On this gun, THIS is the action/receiver(minus the wooden part). The receiver is not the stock.
The stock(s) are the wooden parts on this gun along with the tank and under-piece, I suppose.
Think of it this way.
The receiver receives the barrel and is the metal part that housed the parts that make the gun shoot.

Attachments:
Leshi (2) Action.JPG
Leshi (2) Action.JPG [ 41.19 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]

Author:  delooper [ Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Setting up a Leishy 2

Daryl wrote:
On this gun, THIS is the action/receiver(minus the wooden part). The receiver is not the stock.
The stock(s) are the wooden parts on this gun along with the tank and under-piece, I suppose.
Think of it this way.
The receiver receives the barrel and is the metal part that housed the parts that make the gun shoot.


Yeah, but the thing you call the receiver does not match what Canadian law calls the receiver. You seem to be using your preferred terminology.

For example the law says the receiver holds the breech block, but the magazine is the breech on this gun, and it is sandwiched between the stock and the pistol-part of the gun, but it is not attached to either.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, I'm just seeing if there is a way the Canadian law, as written, really defines the term "receiver" for this gun. I think it likely does not.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just indicates the law isn't very well written.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/