Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Desert Eagle?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:50 am 

I was wondering if the Desert Eagle available through Trail-Marker ($178.00) is the same gun that some other suppliers are asking ($300.00).Are they both Uramex guns?Strange that there is such a price difference!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 pm 

It sure is. I bought one from Trail-Marker a month or so ago and I couldn't be happier. It's an excellent gun - extremely accurate and quite solid. Not sure why some are selling it for such a high price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm 

Thats un-real!I could see maybe $20.00-$40.00 differance,but almost double?Crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:35 pm 

Hope so cuz I just bought one from Trail-Marker :)

Clyde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 pm 

The Desert Eagle from Trail-Marker arrived this a.m. and turns out to be the UMAREX :) Appears to be complete but the box had been previously opened... :roll:

Clyde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm 

Clyde wrote:
The Desert Eagle from Trail-Marker arrived this a.m. and turns out to be the UMAREX :) Appears to be complete but the box had been previously opened... :roll:

Clyde

I noticed that with mine as well. Everything was there but it had been opened. Perhaps there had been previous problems with missing items so they have been checking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:18 pm 

I know some (many) dealers do that so they can say the gun was complete when shipped. Really, just preventing you from hassle. I know some don't like it and have complained before (about other dealers). Some say it's to make sure the serial number is correct too, matches what the box says, and to check for damage before shipping.

Every gun I've bought by mail has been opened, including the most expensive ones. They've also been complete and not missing anything nor damaged... I would also open any gun I bought in a store right there, who needs the disappointment at home?

I wouldn't mind some DEM tips once everybody gets shooting them a while. Got to admit I haven't learned anything much about mine, except that the mag that comes with the DEM is far superior IMO to the ones you buy as accessories. As far as pellet fit and consistency in shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:15 am 

Perhaps, but IMHO it would be a nice gesture (i.e., better for business :-) ) if the dealer invested in a roll of labels say, to reseal the package when the original seal is broken, or provided some other token to dispell any thought the goods have been tampered with (especially if they *have* been tampered with, or are being resold :? ). I don't doubt Jocelyn (of Cibles) inspects every item he sells for example, but my Morini arrived with an extra container of cleaning pellets inside the box ....assures me this is not "tampering" but rather a "personal touch" :D Just want to add it is probably only an issue in this case because I still don't know the reason for the massive price difference ...

Re tips, thanks for the one about the mag. Will do if I learn any tricks (I'm a pretty old dog :roll: ) ...... so far only managed to squeeze off some rounds into the trap at point blank range while the house was temporarily empty of kids, dogs and the wife. Hope to get to the local indoor range in the next week or 2.

Clyde

Post subject: Desert Eagle?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:43 am 

Quote:
I don't doubt Jocelyn (of Cibles) inspects every item he sells for example...

Recently, when Jocelyn quoted a TAU7 pistol to me, he wrote:

All guns are tested before shipping, and also we service....

As a customer I appreciate that.

OzzieM

Post subject: Re: Desert Eagle?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 am 
Supporting Member 2010

OzzieM wrote:
Quote:
I don't doubt Jocelyn (of Cibles) inspects every item he sells for example...

Recently, when Jocelyn quoted a TAU7 pistol to me, he wrote:

All guns are tested before shipping, and also we service....

As a customer I appreciate that.

OzzieM

That is awesome service if you ask me......

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 pm 

Agree that is good service. A new gun from anybody, even the fancy ones Cibles sells, may need an adjustment from new. What better than to have the service guy check it out right on the spot. Somebody who's experienced with the guns.

I see what you mean about the DEM price discrepancy giving you some cause for skepticism. There was some discussion about that when Trail Marker started upping their profile, around when the DEM first came out here. I guess you know it is essentially the same outfit who does the Crosman customer service (and some other outdoor gear brands too). The DEM price was really high when it came out in North America, then plummeted rapidly to where the Trail Marker price is similar to the current US price. Some other Canadian dealers seem to have left their prices where they were when the DEM first came out, perhaps they're not as tuned into the airgun market, or just can't get a good price from the distributor. I don't know.

But you got a good deal AFAIK. I think you are wondering if your gun is a refurb or returned for repair or something like that. And it is well known that goods returned in the US are often refurbed and sold as new in Canada, as we don't have laws preventing that like they do in the US. In the US, if the box is open, you generally can't even sell as new. There are large companies set up in Canada that repackage goods to make it look like they're new. etc. etc. I guess I'm not easing your mind... :D I don't think any of this is even relevant to this case, it's just something a consumer is correct to consider when seeing a large price discrepancy, in general. As long as the gun looks and acts like new I wouldn't worry. They only have a 30 day warranty anyway, so better check it out fast.

Re the stock DEM mag. I haven't seen anybody else make the comment that the original one is "better" than the ones you buy separately. There are quite a few minor differences though. The original one looks better made, has better indexing "bumps", and seems to fit more types of pellets better. And shoots at a higher velocity. I don't know if this is a "tip", but I have 7 mags, the original plus two sets of 3. That is how many mags my DEM can shoot before the velocity drops to affect POI a lot. So I load all the mags up and when they're done time for a new bulb. You may get a bit more or less, but around 56 good shots seems what people report. I also painted a number on each mag, doesn't seem to have worn off so far. That is because some mags perform better than others...yes, they are mass produced and not exactly precision parts, so they do vary. I put the best pellets in the best mags, and put the crappier pellets in the crappier mags. I use the best combos for "target", and the less good combos for shredding cans. I have found the DEM works very well with a Red Dot sight. The stock DEM sights are pretty lousy IMO. With the RD I find I can get very acceptable accuracy for this gun, at farther ranges than I expected. If you put a RD, keep it light as possible, as the receiver/rail wobbles a bit already so don't want to put too much extra stress on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the in-depth comment :D I wasn't aware of Trail-Marker's origins and it now makes sense that the package shipped with a Crosman return address. I think you've cleared up any mystery about the price difference.

I've been away from shooting for a long time and don't know how the business works anymore (when I started as a 14 year old my brother and I would go out behind the barn to knock down some cans with a rimfire rifle, and it wasn't uncommon for the neighbours to bring their guns over and join in. Seems these days they'd be more inclined to close their drapes and call the police :lol: ) I'm not too concerned whether the pistol is new or refurb, just that refurb would have been one explanation for the low price, especially since as you say it does look and operate as new.....love the weight of it, the large grip and the blowback feature :D :D :D . For me the first purchase is mostly to get a feeling for the product and establish the reputation of the seller. After that the only issue is whether I'd recommend the product and do business with the seller again (so far yep on both counts :D ).

Thanks for the capacity review (mags per cylinder). Big help with a new gun, particularly deciding whether it's worth loading another one before the family troops back home :) .

Clyde