Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW80 or HW95???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:36 am 
Site Moderator

If you were looking for a .22 calibre air rifle for small game hunting and long distance tin can plinking which would you prefer, the HW80 or HW95? Why?

Any other preferences for a $500 budget? ... and why the choice?

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:46 am 

Hi Todd,

For me the choice between the 80 and the 95 came down to length, weight, and overall handiness. Some other less important details like the 80's threaded end plug(which I'm not fond of)vs. the slide in end plug of the 95(more convenient to me), and the overall looks of the 95. But I don't want it to sound at all like I don't like the 80 since I hope to own it aswell someday! LOL!

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:46 am 

Todd,
Have you given any consideration to moving up to .25 cal for a hunting and longer range plinking rifle? I have a Webley Patriot, and even at distances that I once thought to be marginal for a magnum class air rifle (.177 or .22), those big .25 cal pellets hit with an authoritative "smack"!
A second hand Patriot/Kodiak could likely be had within your price range.
Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Len,

Apparently the Patriot is a 9 pound rifle with a length of 45.6". That's a bit much, especially if a scope is added. I hear they are a bit harsh on optics and mounts too.

The HW95 is 7.5 lbs and the HW80k is almost 8.6 lbs according to the Weihrauch web site. SSS has the HW80k at 8.3 lbs and the HW95 at 7.5 lbs. The length on both is close to 42".

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:44 am 

Go for the HW95K for the more compact size and weight. Easier to plink and hunt with.

Another option might be a XISICO B50/51 for more power and easier to shoot. However you need to add the cost of a HP pump, if you don't already have one. It can be amortized for future PCPs. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 am 
Site Moderator

ETA wrote:
Go for the HW95K for the more compact size and weight. Easier to plink and hunt with.

Another option might be a XISICO B50/51 for more power and easier to shoot. However you need to add the cost of a HP pump, if you don't already have one. It can be amortized for future PCPs. :wink:

Hi ETA,

I'll likely stick to airguns with self-contained power.

If the HW95 is preferable to the HW80, how would the HW95 compare to the HW50S? I guess that stiff latch issue might be typical on the 50S. I'll have to go back and re-read your old postings on the HW50S.

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:13 am 

TCooper wrote:

Hi ETA,

I'll likely stick to airguns with self-contained power.

If the HW95 is preferable to the HW80, how would the HW95 compare to the HW50S? I guess that stiff latch issue might be typical on the 50S. I'll have to go back and re-read your old postings on the HW50S.

Thanks,
Todd

HW95k would be a more capable and pleasant rifle to a full power HW50s, which is still not nearly as powerful.
A detuned HW50s would make it a very good short-mid range plinker with limited hunting abilities .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm 
Banned

Hi Todd ,
I think you will be happy with a HW 95 in .22 ..as you know its always about comprimise ..and the 95 has it all and is one of my favourites .The wieght is just about what a hunter can heft around for prolonged periods ..the power is good ..its easy to work on as mulby said
there are lots of aftermarket tuneing springs for it , its piston seal is a common size shared with the 50s /85/77/97 ..the 80 has a different seal size. The 95 can be tuned close to the power of a stock HW80 sans the wieght . It will all come down to the style of your hunt ..if you plan on wandering around looking for game and shooting them inside 35-40yds
the 95 is your gun , if you are going to be stationary or going to use a sling to heft a 80 ..and going to regularly take 50yd shots then the 80 is your gun ..they are both amazeing guns .

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:20 pm 

I think Todd should get a HW95 in .25. So that he can tell me about it! Just in case it sucks, though not very likely...

Actually, you reminded me that I was supposed to email Harvey so he would remember to ask Weihrauch what they are specced at in .25 cal, bit of a mystery.

I chose this model for myself because, with scope which I need, it would already be 9+ pounds...yikes!

I have noticed the talk of the HW80 on the yellow forum recently, hadn't read much about it here or there. Is it back "in style" or something? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm 
Site Moderator

cfraser wrote:
I think Todd should get a HW95 in .25. So that he can tell me about it! Just in case it sucks, though not very likely...

Actually, you reminded me that I was supposed to email Harvey so he would remember to ask Weihrauch what they are specced at in .25 cal, bit of a mystery.

I chose this model for myself because, with scope which I need, it would already be 9+ pounds...yikes!

I have noticed the talk of the HW80 on the yellow forum recently, hadn't read much about it here or there. Is it back "in style" or something? :D

I never even thought about the .25 velocity specs. Weihrauch hasn't printed them for the HW95, although the .25 is listed as a calibre choice.

The HW80 has a thick walled receiver tube, like the old HW35. The thick tube, in conjunction with the heavy end plug, makes for the extra weight over the HW95.

Are you still planning on getting the .25 HW95? It's not easy to stay under 9 pounds with a scoped magnum air rifle.

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm 

^ Me you mean? Yup, I still want the HW95 in .25 cal...must have been a few weeks since I talked to Harve about it, I guess when I ordered the HW30S AW. Forgot I was supposed to mail him... The issue was: would it be non-PAL, and if so do they detune it to that, or does it come that way naturally. I estimate it should be pretty close to 150m/s stock, I'd be surprised if it was 170m/s. And if they have to detune it to make non-PAL, exactly what do they detune it to *for Canada*. HW seems to be able to pick springs to within a mm of a velocity/power limit, just want to make sure I wouldn't get sent some 400fps .25 wimp. :D

I estimate with typical .25 pellets I ought to get 50-70% more energy than with a similar velocity .22 (i.e. the HW30S) in non-PAL. I have much less flexibility where I can shoot around here compared to you, but my flexibility is greater if I'm not shooting a "firearm". I wasn't serious that you should get one in .25, my reasons for choosing it would be different than yours. But the Luxus stock looks nice and it's the lightest HW in .25. Not a magnum gun really, but I imagine will still make the cans and little varmints dance. Forget it for long distance, I sure don't expect it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:48 pm 
Banned

Hi Cfraser ,
The HW95 in .25 will do 520fps 26gr and 550fps 21gr ..
these numbers are based on energy calculations and not Empirical data .
So it is very close ...but over ..HW will NOT SELECT a spring ...they will take a Dremel to the full power spring and remove a couple of coils ( or more ) to reach a very close number .
That will still leave you with a 14fpe non PAL rifle .. :D
They rarely close the open coil and finish the detuned spring :shock:

Frank

Last edited by airbuddy3 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:09 pm 

Frank: those are .25 cal numbers, right? A bit higher than I thought, but kinda good the way they detune it (no wonder they get so close), I was concerned with spring selection. So they cut coils off...does that make the gun a bit rough sounding, or is there enough preload that it should be about the same as with the full-length spring?

What is the HW95K, does it have a barrel length like the HW97K? Can you still get the HW95K even? Thanks.

Remember I asked about the HW95 in AW? You can get it, but forget the $500 budget. Thought it would make a decent all-season small varminting gun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:25 pm 
Banned

yes thats in .25 ..sorry typo ..You will not notice much roughness ..shot to shot consistancy may suffer though ..what I like to do is close it ..grind it flat , polish it and round the wire ends ..and space it to get it at 495sh .
The .25 will hit very hard ..it will have a very high shock factor ..
you can look up the taylor knock out values in chairgun and you will find its higher than a .22 ...just keep your shots close 25-30yds and you should be fine ..it will be very lethal on vermin ...and cans :lol:

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:37 pm 
Banned

I just Ran the Taylor Knock out values on chairgun ..
and they take into consideration ..caliber ..energy and BC
and factor that into a number that can be referred to as stopping power on game ..this was first used on firearms ..to determine caliber choice for law enforcement ..and they found thata .45 caliber has more stopping power that evan a .357 magnum due to the larger footprint .

so here goes the numbers for the HW95 IN different calibers at 30 metres

The .25 was the champ at .346

the .22 was a good .247

the .177 was .15

So the .22 has 66% more stopping power than the ,177

The .25 has 230% of the stopping power of the .177 :shock: and 140% the power of the .22 :shock:

Impressive numbers

Frank